• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police scanner

kryptonian

my sister was given an iphone for work and usually hard to drag out of the amish village of low tech she was comfortable with but she got a police scanner app for it and she listens to livingston county police radio traffic. she's hooked. when driving she connects phone and van by a wire and can hear it over the van speakers.
seems to me that it would be a good thing to monitor when OC. would be helpful to know if LEO encounter was coming and hear the info dispatch tells officer, how the call came in and what the officers tells dispatch when they leave. also keeps officers from exaggerating the calls. you would probably need earbud setup kept low enough not to compromise awareness.
not sure with verizon to get that app for my phone. not sure if just county or city PD also. would probably be better in more rural area where that's all the LEO out there. once again i probably should have researched this more before i threw this on here. here's a website with michigan dispatch by county -

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?stid=26

craigm

Even if you knew the officer was exaggerating, you wouldn't want to mention you were listening to a police scanner in the vehicle. I believe technically it's illegal to have a device capable of receiving the signal in the vehicle, but they may try adopting that law to the digital age where you can stream the feed and still get in trouble.

kryptonian

Even if you knew the officer was exaggerating, you wouldn't want to mention you were listening to a police scanner in the vehicle. I believe technically it's illegal to have a device capable of receiving the signal in the vehicle, but they may try adopting that law to the digital age where you can stream the feed and still get in trouble.

you wouldn't be in the vehicle. nobody would know you were OC and call police if you were in the car. never heard about listening to police calls being unlawful. i also thought if you had it on your phone and just had volume up instead of headphones and you were OC there would be a HUGE mistaken notion that you were a LEO.

craigm

you wouldn't be in the vehicle. nobody would know you were OC and call police if you were in the car. never heard about listening to police calls being unlawful. i also thought if you had it on your phone and just had volume up instead of headphones and you were OC there would be a HUGE mistaken notion that you were a LEO.
What I'm referring to is this:

750.508.amended
Equipping vehicle with radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police purposes; permit required; exceptions; misdemeanor; penalty; radar detectors not applicable.

Sec. 508.
(1) Any person who shall equip a vehicle with a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on frequencies assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States of America for police purposes, or use the same in this state unless the vehicle is used or owned by a peace officer, or a bona fide amateur radio operator holding a technician class, general, advanced, or extra class amateur license issued by the federal communications commission, without first securing a permit so to do from the director of the department of state police upon application as he or she may prescribe, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

As for the OC thing, people have been pulled over after leaving some place they just OC'ed in. He also mentioned his sister plugged it into the van's audio system.

CharleyMarbles

Thats a sticky situation. but if you want to have a scanner in your vehical you must either apply for the permit for it or the easier way is to study the questions online for the Tech. NoCode ham licence it's super easy. But with out one of those two licences you are comiting a crime and it could cost you your CPL. Just so everyone knows :) further more I'm not sure you can be armed and have one in public. I would strongly caution any one doing it without the licence, As it will only give the LEO'S another thing to question you about. I wouldnt be surprised to see them try and go after you for Impersonating in such a situation???? Just saying :)

P.S. I guess I should read the whole thread before I speak the poster above me posted the law for all to read :) Thanx for the cite!!!!

Last edited:

Master Control

As for the OC thing, people have been pulled over after leaving some place they just OC'ed in. He also mentioned his sister plugged it into the van's audio system.

inasmuch as I have been licensed to carry a scanner in my vehicle for more than ten yrs. I beleive that the law in reference police scanners has been changed for a few yrs now.

I would double check the nexus and / or Radioreference.com I know there used to be a cite confirming the same.

Master Control

Effective May 31, 2006

The new law is as follows:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
750.508 Equipping vehicle with radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police or certain other purposes; violation; penalties; radar detectors not applicable.

Sec. 508.

(1) A person who has been convicted of 1 or more felonies during the preceding 5 years shall not carry or have in his or her possession a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. This subsection does not apply to a person who is licensed as an amateur radio operator by the federal communications commission. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(2) A person shall not carry or have in his or her possession in the commission or attempted commission of a crime a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a crime as follows:

(a) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 93 days but less than 1 year, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(b) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor or felony punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of 1 year or more, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who carries or has in his or her possession a radio receiving set described in subsection (2) in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 93 days.

(4) This section does not apply to the use of radar detectors.

as of May 31, 2006 The Michigan Legislature has seen fit to revamp the law and remove the previous requirement to have a permit in order to possess a scanner.

Last edited:

Master Control

Thats a sticky situation. but if you want to have a scanner in your vehical you must either apply for the permit for it or the easier way is to study the questions online for the Tech. NoCode ham licence it's super easy. But with out one of those two licences you are comiting a crime and it could cost you your CPL. Just so everyone knows :) further more I'm not sure you can be armed and have one in public. I would strongly caution any one doing it without the licence, As it will only give the LEO'S another thing to question you about. I wouldnt be surprised to see them try and go after you for Impersonating in such a situation???? Just saying :)

P.S. I guess I should read the whole thread before I speak the poster above me posted the law for all to read :) Thanx for the cite!!!!

750.508 Amends the Michigan Penal Code to remove the prohibition of possessing a police scanner in a vehicle. Possession of a police scanner is now prohibited regardless of location by certain felons and in the commission of a crime, but allowed under other circumstances

Agent1

Thanks Master for the Cite. I too was Licensed for many years to op a Police scanner in a motor vehical but it has been ten years since. I had no Idea that the law had been changed. But now I see that many counties are changing technology for emergency services. Tuscola County changed to a true trunking system many years ago and I see that Lapeer county is asking for a butt ton of money to change over all of their equipment too. When Tuscola CO. made their move, noones scanners worked anymore. I paid $600.00 for a top shelf Uniden that was able to scan trunking systems. I imagine that this technology is much cheapper now! :cry:

Last edited:

lapeer20m

i've had my ham radio license for just over 10 years now. My primary motivation for getting the license was to carry a scanner. Back then, i had just started on a volunteer fire department and the world of scanners was very exciting to me. Now that it is my full time job, i'd really rather not listen to the radio!

but i can see where it would be handy to know that a car has been dispatched and is looking for YOU.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The new law is as follows:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
750.508 Equipping vehicle with radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police or certain other purposes; violation; penalties; radar detectors not applicable.

Sec. 508.

(1) A person who has been convicted of 1 or more felonies during the preceding 5 years shall not carry or have in his or her possession a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. This subsection does not apply to a person who is licensed as an amateur radio operator by the federal communications commission. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(2) A person shall not carry or have in his or her possession in the commission or attempted commission of a crime a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a crime as follows:

(a) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 93 days but less than 1 year, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(b) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor or felony punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of 1 year or more, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who carries or has in his or her possession a radio receiving set described in subsection (2) in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 93 days.

(4) This section does not apply to the use of radar detectors.

as of May 31, 2006 The Michigan Legislature has seen fit to revamp the law and remove the previous requirement to have a permit in order to possess a scanner.

So you have to have a license to possess a scanner???

kryptonian

scanner

apparently everyone is missing my original idea that was NOT to have a scanner but receive it on your cell phone. no license no car hookups. cell phone is portable and inconspicuous - just wear ear phones or bluetooth. all you would have to do is close out the application when LEO shows up. if you have a microphone on your headset you could also use your phone to record and mic would be right in front of you. did anybody check the link i attached?

Bronson

So you have to have a license to possess a scanner???

No. You can't have one if you're a felon and if you're caught with one while commiting a crime it increases your punishment.

The way I read the first sub-section is that you can't have one if you're a felon unless you have an amatuer radio license. That may not be the intent of the law but it's how it reads to me.

Bronson

DetroitAutoworker

apparently everyone is missing my original idea that was NOT to have a scanner but receive it on your cell phone. no license no car hookups. cell phone is portable and inconspicuous - just wear ear phones or bluetooth. all you would have to do is close out the application when LEO shows up. if you have a microphone on your headset you could also use your phone to record and mic would be right in front of you. did anybody check the link i attached?

I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine that since a phone is technically a radio (it transmits and receives a signal) that they could probably still charge a person with this.

ElectricianLU58

as long as you are not committing a crime, you are legal. on top of that, you need no permits.

Police Scanners – MCL 750.508 – add to page 6-34 and remove old statute
Permit no longer needed for Police scanners in motor vehicles. Effective May 1, 2006
Citizens will no longer be required to obtain a permit from the State Police in order to equip a motor vehicle with a scanner. Instead, it will be a crime if a scanner (regardless of its location) is used in the commission of a crime with a penalty of 93 days or more.
A person who has been convicted of a felony within the past 5 years is prohibited from possessing a scanner at any time.

ElectricianLU58

but, the electronic communications privacy act act of 1986 has a lot of weird rules.

one is: It is illegal to disclose information you hear to other persons.

so, i bet putting a recording from a police scanner on youtube... could at least cause you some problems that might cost you some money.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
but, the electronic communications privacy act act of 1986 has a lot of weird rules.

one is: It is illegal to disclose information you hear to other persons.

so, i bet putting a recording from a police scanner on youtube... could at least cause you some problems that might cost you some money.
911 calls etc. are on you-tube all the time. You can also get radio traffic recordings with a FOIA and post it on youtube. Public servants have no expectation of privacy in regards to conducting official business.

Master Control

original idea

I hope that my post didn’t read that I have missed your original idea, but my choice of language may have made you believe such. Instead of the word “scanner” I should have wrote “radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police”.

Rather it be a scanner or cell phone I could see the concern being the definition of the description while legal open carry of a firearm.
The legal possession of a radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police,
rather in a vehicle (installed or not), or walking down the street does not require the previously required “PERMIT FOR USE OF SHORT WAVE RECEIVER IN VEHICLE” issued by the Michigan State Police according to 750.508, MCL of 1970.
“NO” you don’t need a license.

The combination of legal possession of a firearm & cell phone radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police should be a non-issue (unless two rights make a wrong), and I would see no reason to close out the device when a LEO shows up unless your personal device can only run one app at a time.
Yes sir, I did check the link you attached, but I didn’t see a application but did see the links to many LEO’s departments audio feeds, but might I suggest an additional opinion for BlackBerry/ iPhone users
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKITZeF46s&feature=related
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBpueENxIU&feature=related
I might mention that with ether opinion you use your chosen reception is at the mercy of the source individual transmitting the feed. when listening for MWG broadcast you may have greater success while listening to small municipalities as opposed to larger municipalities,
Example: city’s like River Rouge or Ecorse with only a couple primary frequencies you may almost hear all broadcast from dispatch, but with city’s like Detroit with multiple dispatcher operating on multiple channels you may only hear the channel that the broadcaster/transmitting individual has set as the priority channel or the channel broadcasting at the time of transmission. (being downtown at the hoedown but hearing a broadcast from Northwest district at the exact same time the MWG transmission was broadcast)
Just thought I’d include some of the short comings of using a cell phone as opposed to a actual police scanner, both are good options, but understand the size of the city that you are using it in.
And No I didn’t get into trunking or talkgroups, I figured this response was long enough.

lol

kryptonian

thanks master

thanks for addressing my original point and checking the link. this thread got all detached and spun away. just suggesting use the scanner app on phone for a heads up. simple.