• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sleep with your gun in your hand? Not so smart..

scot623

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles...t?nstrack=sid:485137|met:102300|cat:0|order:6

I bet the *bang* woke him up. Ouch.

SANDUSKY, Ohio (AP) — Ohio troopers say they believe it was an accident when a Michigan motorist shot himself on the Ohio Turnpike after parking with his family.

The State Highway Patrol says 30-year-old Mahmoud Ajaj of Dearborn was holding a gun while napping when the weapon fired just after 1:30 a.m. Monday.

Patrol investigator Sgt. Gregory Blake tells the Sandusky Register Ajaj said he had grown tired while driving his wife and two young children. He pulled over about 33 miles southeast of Toledo.

Ajaj told troopers the gun was for protection in case someone tried to rob them.

Blake says it appears he accidentally squeezed the trigger as he fell asleep, firing into his left leg.

Ajaj was treated at a Toledo hospital and then released. No charges have been filed.

Last edited:

TheQ

Not in my hand -- sometimes under my pillow though. The magazine is dropped and the chamber is cleared though.

eastmeyers

At least he shot himself and not his wife, or one of his children. What a puts. You couldn't just put it between your seat and the center council, or something similar, like I am sure many do on long trips. WOWZA!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
At least he shot himself and not his wife, or one of his children. What a puts. You couldn't just put it between your seat and the center council, or something similar, like I am sure many do on long trips. WOWZA!
putz (p
ubreve.gif
ts)
n.1. Slang A fool; an idiot.
2. Vulgar Slang A penis.

intr.v. putzed, putz·ing, putz·es SlangTo behave in an idle manner; putter.

[Yiddish pots, penis, fool.]

Michigander

In general I think it's a really bad idea to have your gun within reach while in a state of half sleep. For me this means 10 feet away from my bed, or locked up when under the influence of nyquil or prescription drugs. Sleep walkers should keep always their guns unloaded and locked while sleeping.

NHCGRPR45

In general I think it's a really bad idea to have your gun within reach while in a state of half sleep. For me this means 10 feet away from my bed, or locked up when under the influence of nyquil or prescription drugs. Sleep walkers should keep always their guns unloaded and locked while sleeping.

thats how most modern militaries operate, well all the time.

cmdr_iceman71

If I am not mistaken in Ohio those who have a CPL must have the gun holstered and it must be on your persons when inside a vehicle. The gun cannot be in any type of console/vehicular holster which would be accessible to other passengers.

Nonetheless, I mean really, how much time would he have lost in terms of draw speed by simply properly holstering his handgun? Even if all he had was a deep concealment type holster, he still could’ve tucked his clothing behind the gun for easier access before falling asleep.

He violated four out of the five most fundamental firearm safety rules; is it any wonder he shot himself?

1) Always treat a firearm as if it is loaded.

2) Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

3) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

4) Always keep the handgun unloaded until ready to use.

5) Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
When I was in Alaska, in a tent, I kept the gun loaded and in a holster

I am going to disagree with you there, sort of. Should my firearms not always be ready to use? ;)

I kept the defensive handgun loaded and in a holster that covered the trigger guard. I also kept it on a lanyard attached to my wrist.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
If I am not mistaken in Ohio those who have a CPL must have the gun holstered and it must be on your persons when inside a vehicle. The gun cannot be in any type of console/vehicular holster which would be accessible to other passengers.

Nonetheless, I mean really, how much time would he have lost in terms of draw speed by simply properly holstering his handgun? Even if all he had was a deep concealment type holster, he still could’ve tucked his clothing behind the gun for easier access before falling asleep.

He violated four out of the five most fundamental firearm safety rules; is it any wonder he shot himself?

1) Always treat a firearm as if it is loaded.

2) Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

3) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

4) Always keep the handgun unloaded until ready to use.

5) Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

you are mostly correct and here is a cite for you :)
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...70ee03/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the
influence of drugs or alcohol. If you have a concealed carry permit, you
may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is
carried in one of the following ways:14
• The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law
previously required carrying firearms in a holster in plain sight. The
“plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.
• The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other
container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing
mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or
closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to
the handgun, or
• The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed,
glove compartment or console, or in a case that is locked.

Last edited:

DetroitBiker

according to Ohio`s laws , after he took the pistol out of his glovebox and held it in his hand,while dozing off to sleep,he violated there CCW laws by not having it holstered and attached to him. Im supprised that they didnt nail him for this,I always thought Ohio cops were sticklers when it came to going by the book. especialy with out of staters on the turnpike.

TheQ

according to Ohio`s laws , after he took the pistol out of his glovebox and held it in his hand,while dozing off to sleep,he violated there CCW laws by not having it holstered and attached to him. Im supprised that they didnt nail him for this,I always thought Ohio cops were sticklers when it came to going by the book. especialy with out of staters on the turnpike.

The dude shot himself in the leg. Penalty enough they may think?

DetroitBiker

The dude shot himself in the leg. Penalty enough they may think?
yeah , that scar would be a permenent reminder i guess. I just hope he learned from it.
I would really like to ask him where he kept his gun while he was driving around New York.

according to his cousin in the detroit news artical, thats where he was comming home from with his family.

cmdr_iceman71

I am going to disagree with you there, sort of. Should my firearms not always be ready to use? ;)

Since I failed to clarify it, I knew rule number 4 was going to be a problem for at least one person. lol Nonetheless, I gave everyone here the benefit of doubt so as not to appear too pedantic. I thought most everyone here understood the context of the term “in use” because such a term would be explained by any CPL instructor worth his salt.

The term in use, as I was taught, means which ever gun you would use to defend yourself in the most immediate sense, not the ones that are locked away in a gun safe or with trigger locks on them and such. Any weapon that is loaded should be considered "in use."

protias

Since I failed to clarify it, I knew rule number 4 was going to be a problem for at least one person. lol Nonetheless, I gave everyone here the benefit of doubt so as not to appear too pedantic. I thought most everyone here understood the context of the term “in use” because such a term would be explained by any CPL instructor worth his salt.

The term in use, as I was taught, means which ever gun you would use to defend yourself in the most immediate sense, not the ones that are locked away in a gun safe or with trigger locks on them and such. Any weapon that is loaded should be considered "in use."

Seeing as I am from WI, I have no knowledge of how MI does their classes, nor do they do give non-res permits.