• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Day Jobs

mahkagari

Informal poll. I see a lot of people posting about carrying all day every day. What is your vocation and how does OCing fit in? I have an office job in Boulder so the extent of my carrying is to the car and then leaving it locked in the glove until I walk out of the office in the evening. Though, some late nights I'd prefer it on my hip for the few hundred feet through the parking lot instead of relying on situational awareness. Every once in a while I manage to go out for lunch and might OC to the supermarket deli.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Good question.
I am a driver for a local company with several facilities around the metro area. My job happens in Brighton. I carry there and home again. But while working, it must remain in the glove compartment or, alternatively, in my urban carry bag with the hidden compartment for the handgun. Brighton is a pretty quiet town, so I am confident enough to leave it in the car when walking to/and from/the customer's home.

My job requires anywhere from 5 to 25 visits to people's homes around town each day.

Otherwise, when going about my own business, I carry open or concealed on my person wherever I go.
Denver being the usual place where conceal comes in handy.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

DinFreemont

I work project to project, I often have to use airline services into states that are very gun unfriendly. I am forced to go to many locations without any weapon.

In-between projects of that type I carry.

JamesB

I work project to project, I often have to use airline services into states that are very gun unfriendly. I am forced to go to many locations without any weapon.

In-between projects of that type I carry.

I am simply a college student most days. So, I definately carry to and from, and eagerly await the verdict from the Colorado Supreme Court re: SCCC v. CU. Other days, I work privately (part-time and contract) and can completely carry on these. I am also a firearm instructor, so I can carry on that job.

The point is that there are so many things i do and places I go daily that are outside of work and home. I carry to the grocery store, the hardware store, laundromat, auto parts, bank, lumber yard, etc. Seldom do I hit all of these places every day, but most at least weekly. (My car is old enough that all the guys at the parts store know my first name.)

Regardless of where I am going or for how long, if I leave the house, I have one with me. Most of the time just around the house I do too. To me it's just another piece of clothing that goes on every morning and comes off every night.

mahkagari

And therein lies the dilemna for nudists!
You more or less must open carry!

That's actually not an uncommon problem. Beachwear, backcountry lakes, even certain types of "retreats" have tricky practicality of carrying lunch, waterbottle, sunglasses, bugspray, sunscreen, etc. etc. when you're not wearing much. A haversack or fannypack may carry most of your gear, but are cumbersome to have a sturdy belt to have a defense weapon like a sidearm or bear spray handy. Er, so I've heard.... Anyhow, I really don't want to be mauled by a large four-legger and the only non-meat pieces left of me being tennis shoes and a bottle of Gatorade.

My job happens in Brighton. I carry there and home again. But while working, it must remain in the glove compartment or, alternatively, in my urban carry bag with the hidden compartment for the handgun. Brighton is a pretty quiet town, so I am confident enough to leave it in the car when walking to/and from/the customer's home.

Maybe it's different during the day, but some of the situations my brother's been in (different brother than the one assaulted while trick or treating) and just some of the characters I see when I go hang out with him leave me to back off the booze and CC. Though 99% of them could be avoided by the type of places he tends to hang out in.

Urban carry bag? C'mon, just call it a man-purse. :p Seriously, what are you talking about? Like a messenger bag style thing?

Last edited:

jskp229

What do I do & can I carry?

I'm a self-employed IT consultant. I OC most of the time unless with clients (or in Denver), then I CC, but I always carry when legal in Colorado. When I travel I do it the same way in any state that I'm legal & try to avoid the rest if possible. I have yet to see any client site that is posted no carry & they probably rely on their employee handbooks to address the issue.

That is one of the up sides of being the boss, but the down side is I don't get someone writing me a weekly check either. Everything has its tradeoffs. I think I would be very frustrated if I had to go back to a real job with those kind of rules.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm a free-lance technical writer. I OC while going about my own personal business, but I CC when meeting with a client or attending a location, business, or function where OC would cause more hassle that I care to deal with.

I'm thankful the choice is almost always mine, rather than someone else's.

Keens

I did ask about carry at my work, and sadly, the answer was "no.". I hardly talk to customers, as i work in the back shop. I asked "well, why not?". "Insurance reasons, if someone gets shot, it puts us through possible liability!". I even mentioned about the recent burglaries at my work, 2 in the last month! What if theres a BG hiding when I show up in the morning? Hmm!

A lot of companies have "no firearms" rules. Even for CC!

Keens

Informal poll. I see a lot of people posting about carrying all day every day. What is your vocation and how does OCing fit in? I have an office job in Boulder so the extent of my carrying is to the car and then leaving it locked in the glove until I walk out of the office in the evening. Though, some late nights I'd prefer it on my hip for the few hundred feet through the parking lot instead of relying on situational awareness. Every once in a while I manage to go out for lunch and might OC to the supermarket deli.

I'm still getting used to this site and how to respond with a iPhone, lol. Well, I'm an auto tech and see my last reply. Sorry for the confusion! Still figuring out iPhone and forums. I'm not too e-tech savvy

since9

Campaign Veteran
I did ask about carry at my work, and sadly, the answer was "no.". I hardly talk to customers, as i work in the back shop. I asked "well, why not?". "Insurance reasons, if someone gets shot, it puts us through possible liability!". I even mentioned about the recent burglaries at my work, 2 in the last month! What if theres a BG hiding when I show up in the morning? Hmm!

A lot of companies have "no firearms" rules. Even for CC!

Your (and everyone's) best bet is NOT to ask, but to simply review your employee contract with a fine toothed comb. If there are no restrictions, consider CCing. If you OC while on the job, it's likely there will soon be a no-firearms amendment everyone will have to sign if they wish to remain gainfully employed by that company.

Keens

Your (and everyone's) best bet is NOT to ask, but to simply review your employee contract with a fine toothed comb. If there are no restrictions, consider CCing. If you OC while on the job, it's likely there will soon be a no-firearms amendment everyone will have to sign if they wish to remain gainfully employed by that company.

I'll have to look into that. If I recall my memory right, I don't remember if I've even seen a employee contract book or a general policy book. I've seen safety policies, privacy, ect but nothing about firearms. I've been there for a year now. However, I did have a casual conversation with my boss about firearms and did ask him about carrying at work, he doesn't mind. He is looking at getting his CCW and he personally checked with President/owner and was told "no carry at work". Which is stupid because we get broken into at least twice a month.

since9

Campaign Veteran
He is looking at getting his CCW and he personally checked with President/owner and was told "no carry at work". Which is stupid because we get broken into at least twice a month.

From the standpoint of personal protection, yes it is indeed stupid. From the standpoint of opening the business up to liability or protecting it from liability, having a "no firearms" policy offers some serious legal protection against lawsuits involving an employee shooting a firearm. That won't stop employees from doing so. It just tends to put a damper on successful lawsuits by anyone or their family on the receiving end of a bullet.

I wish lawyers were as adept at thinking about protecting the company's employees from harm as well as the liability they open themselves up to when they deny employees their right to protect themselves from harm.