• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic in Newport News - Sept 10th, 2011

6L6GC

Hello all, I finally was able to reserve a shelter for the VCDL picnic in Newport News. The date is September 10th and the address of the picnic shelter is:

100 City Farm Road
Newport News, Virginia 23602
(757) 886-7912
nnparks.com‎

I guess about 1100 hours would be a good time to start. Does that work for everybody?

I hope everybody will come out and have a good time. To volunteer to bring something just put your name beside what you are going to bring and repost. That way everybody will know what is still needed. I know that I didn't put everything on the list, so, if you think of something that should be on the list, just add it then repost the whole thing.

Hope that it is a good day and that everybody has a good time.

shelter reservation: Ron Lilly
hot dogs:
hot dog buns:
hamburger:
hamburger buns:
ketchup:
mustard:
relish:
chili:
lettuce:
paper plates:
cups:
charcoal:
beans:
mac salad:
potato salad:
chips:
sodas:
bottled water:
ice:
cake:
pie:
diet sodas:
napkins:
plastic forks/knives/spoons:
potato chips:

please keep the list updated here on OCDO so that everybody can see whats going on. stay tuned, more to come!!

45acpForMe

Hello all, I finally was able to reserve a shelter for the VCDL picnic in Newport News. The date is September 10th and the address of the picnic shelter is:

100 City Farm Road
(757) 886-7912
nnparks.com‎

I guess about 1100 hours would be a good time to start. Does that work for everybody?

I hope everybody will come out and have a good time. To volunteer to bring something just put your name beside what you are going to bring and repost. That way everybody will know what is still needed. I know that I didn't put everything on the list, so, if you think of something that should be on the list, just add it then repost the whole thing.

hot dogs:
hot dog buns: Jim Prince (50?)
hamburger:
hamburger buns:
ketchup:
mustard:
relish:
chili:
lettuce:
paper plates:
cups:
charcoal:
beans:
mac salad:
potato salad:
chips:
sodas:
bottled water:
ice:
cake:
pie:
diet sodas:
napkins:
potato chips:

please keep the list updated here on OCDO so that everybody can see whats going on. stay tuned, more to come!!

Should 50 be enough? Last year I brought 100 hamburger buns with many left over.

2a4all

100 City Farm Road
(757) 886-7912
nnparks.com‎

hot dogs: = 50 (2a4all)
hot dog buns:
hamburger:
hamburger buns:
ketchup:
mustard:
relish:
chili:
lettuce:
paper plates:
cups:
charcoal:
beans:
mac salad:
potato salad:
chips:
sodas:
bottled water:
ice:
cake:
pie:
diet sodas:
napkins:
potato chips:

45acpforme is right. 50 hot dogs/buns is probably enough.

Let's make this a sticky post.

Ron, can you edit your OP to keep everything upto date?

Bubba Ron

Newport News Picnic

100 City Farm Road
(757) 886-7912
nnparks.com‎

hot dogs:
hot dog buns:
hamburger:
hamburger buns:
ketchup:
mustard:
relish:
chili:
lettuce:
paper plates: Ron & Jean Hyson will supply
cups:
charcoal:
beans:
mac salad:
potato salad:
chips:
sodas:
bottled water:
ice:
cake:
pie:
diet sodas:
napkins: Ron & Jean Hyson will supply
plastic forks/knives/spoons: Ron & Jean Hyson will supply
potato chips:

Trying to get this to post....

Last edited:

6L6GC

The List so far

hot dogs: 2a4all
hot dog buns: Jim Prince
hamburger:
hamburger buns:
ketchup: t33j
mustard: t33j
relish:
chili:
lettuce:
paper plates: Ron and Jean Hyson
cups:
charcoal:
beans:
mac salad:
potato salad:
chips:
sodas:
bottled water:
ice:
cake:
pie:
diet sodas:
napkins: Ron and Jean Hyson
plastic forks/knives/spoons: Ron and Jean Hyson
potato chips:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Seems like this has sort of stalled. The 10th is the wife's B-day and we are coming. I haven't discussed what we are bringing with her as yet. Would 1 large bag of charcoal be enough? Even though I don't use charcoal starter fluid (I use a starter chimney) I'll spring for that too. :)

45acpForMe

Yeah I KNOW we've got a lot more VCDLers than this around here!

Maybe we need some type of entertainment. :)

Can we get Skidmark to play the banjo or Grapeshot the harmonica?

Or maybe celebrity appearances by Skidmark or User to have a pre-trial pep rally.

(Sorry to pick on yous guys) :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe we need some type of entertainment. :)

Can we get Skidmark to play the banjo or Grapeshot the harmonica?

Or maybe celebrity appearances by Skidmark or User to have a pre-trial pep rally.

(Sorry to pick on yous guys) :p

Am trying to arrange being there as I so enjoy the nearness to the City Farm - brings a tear to my eyes with all of the memories of DOC.:lol:

Indeed this could be the last great outing (pep rally) before Surry - maybe I can talk Skid into doing our Frick and Frak routine. :uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Am trying to arrange being there as I so enjoy the nearness to the City Farm - brings a tear to my eyes with all of the memories of DOC.:lol:

Indeed this could be the last great outing (pep rally) before Surry - maybe I can talk Skid into doing our Frick and Frak routine. :uhoh:

I'm up for doing the routine, but I need to know who I will be - Frick or Frack? I guess that means I'll be chauffeuring Grapeshot, so we can rehearse and work out detals on the roles on the way there.

I'll bring 2 dozen hamburgers + buns. They should be thawed by the time I get there. I'l also spring for the charcoal lighter.

Will we be visited by the Park Ranger and his camera this time? Or did he learn his lesson last time?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm a witness (w/recorders and camera) for Skid when he ventures out beyond the limit of his yard. My instructions are simple, "Don't let him out of your sight." You might say that I am my brother's keeper. :lol:

Will bring sodas, diet sodas - probably 8 to 10 of the 2 liter bottles mixed + cups and a chest for ice.

If no one else elects to bring ice, we can run out and pick up some after we check in - will be there early.

Where is the Yorktown crew? The silence is deafening. :p

johnfenter

Will not attend...

Unfortunately, I'll be in CT over the weekend for a company business meeting. Otherwise, I would certainly be there. Sorry, Ron...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd show up but Skidmark might be naughty and try to make me into a grease spot, hehe.

Not likely, but I have no doubt that Skid would have some very well documented points to make.

Those that fear open discussion will learn nothing new.

Come on out and enjoy.

6L6GC

sorry I haven't updated this for a while

I will read all the posts and generate a new up to date list tomorrow. (its sort late now; 2330 and my eyes are heavy) I hope that a good time is had by all.

roN