• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

83 days until long gun open carry only CA option.

Jerry2197

Jeez California will be awash with various Long guns and shotguns and rifles that will be dragged around all over the place ....CA thought the UOC of handguns was a problem for pd and the people> Well come January 2012 or before I'm certain LGOC will be done to see the reaction of both the PD and the people . My Tactical shotgun and AR15 are in my truck locked away but available for deployment anytime!!! Can't wait for my first recorded LGOC encounter especially while shopping at the Mall ...OMG ....

LOL Dude if you are going to the mall with a long gun I want to be there to see it.:shocker: People are going to **** them selfs.

Born2Lose

I'm ready to carry my stag ar-15 monsterman build but i have some practical questions.
Mag carry: do you need some sort of mag carrier? If so that seems quite impractical..maybe with a large mag have it poking out of your back pocket?
Mag capacity: I have a featurless rifle and preban hi-caps would i get hassled for carrying my 30, 40, or 100round beta C drum?
Sling: single point on the front so you can shift it when sitting or a normal 2 point slung over the back?
Questions abound.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I'm ready to carry my stag ar-15 monsterman build but i have some practical questions.
Mag carry: do you need some sort of mag carrier? If so that seems quite impractical..maybe with a large mag have it poking out of your back pocket?
Mag capacity: I have a featurless rifle and preban hi-caps would i get hassled for carrying my 30, 40, or 100round beta C drum?
Sling: single point on the front so you can shift it when sitting or a normal 2 point slung over the back?
Questions abound.

My answer is here....
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-carry!!!!!!&p=1626633&viewfull=1#post1626633

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

For a featureless build your best bet is probably to do what the Israelis do when open carrying their M-16s. Tape or somehow couple the ends of 30 round (if you can do it on shorter ones, then feel free to do that too) mags so it forms a right angle. Stick the unloaded mag in the rifle and the loaded mag should parallel the barrel.

Here's an image which shows what I'm talking about. That's how I'd do it. I imagine the Israeli's carry both mags full, but most open carry M-16 images I've seen have the mags in that configuration.

shad0wfax

For a featureless build your best bet is probably to do what the Israelis do when open carrying their M-16s. Tape or somehow couple the ends of 30 round (if you can do it on shorter ones, then feel free to do that too) mags so it forms a right angle. Stick the unloaded mag in the rifle and the loaded mag should parallel the barrel.

Here's an image which shows what I'm talking about. That's how I'd do it. I imagine the Israeli's carry both mags full, but most open carry M-16 images I've seen have the mags in that configuration.

Be very careful of doing it that way. The legal interpretation of what is "loaded" in CA may apply to an empty magazine with a loaded magazine taped to it or may apply to shotgun shells inside of one of those cheek-rest sleeves on the stock. I'm not sure and you'd have to review CA laws and case law to be certain. I'm no attorney, so I'd suggest you talk to one first.

You'd probably be better off with the magazine in a small inside the pocket pouch or simply getting some US Army surplus magazines.

Gundude

Be very careful of doing it that way. The legal interpretation of what is "loaded" in CA may apply to an empty magazine with a loaded magazine taped to it or may apply to shotgun shells inside of one of those cheek-rest sleeves on the stock. I'm not sure and you'd have to review CA laws and case law to be certain. I'm no attorney, so I'd suggest you talk to one first.

You'd probably be better off with the magazine in a small inside the pocket pouch or simply getting some US Army surplus magazines.

Mags have to be carried open, also.

Jerry2197

What about a (bolt Action) rifle? Would the bolt have to be opened all the time? Or is unloaded close ok?

Decoligny

People v. Clark 1996 is the case law that clearly defines "loaded". Unless a magazine that contains ammunition is inserted into the magwell, the gun is not loaded. With a shotgun, you can have one of those "cheek-rest sleeves" on the stock, as that was what Clark had on his shotgun.

Two magazines taped together, one empty, and one full, with the empty one inserted into the magwell = unloaded gun.

Save Our State

What about a (bolt Action) rifle? Would the bolt have to be opened all the time? Or is unloaded close ok?

I had a strssful encounter with law enforcement while carrying with the bolt closed, and they requested it be open, but that invites dirt, moisture, and other contaminants. I still don't open the bolt, nor is it a requirement

mohawk001

This law, AB144, won't be litigated against for quite a long time. Instead, the gun rights organizations here in CA will use this law to further their efforts to force CA into being a concealed carry shall issue state vs the current may issue system. In this state unloaded open carry has been used as an excuse by judges to prevent concealed carry reform. So now the "right people" are salivating over the window of opportunity that this bill has given them. I suspect they will eventually seek to return CA to a loaded open carry state, but its way down on their priority list.

My question is, how are people feeling about it possibly being used in this way? I know, in an ideal world all rights would be up front with no battles. However, that's obviously not how it's happening. I can see some saying it's ok to use it this way as long as it doesn't take forever. I can see some saying screw CC and that only OC matters, just as some who CC say the same about OC. Living where I do, I can claim to say I know how you feel, but it isn't the same and we both know it. So do you think it should be, or is ok to be, used as a way to change CC issue and then come back to get OC legal again or should the first challenge be to get back OC?

PavePusher

Mags? What mags?