• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW VA OC Stories

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Post your OC experiences from SW VA here.

Previous relatively new thread was locked for going too far off topic and contained unnecessarily contentious posts.

Please stay on topic and keep this thread clean.

papa bear

here 's one. i was going through Hillsville and needed gas. one of the lowest was at the c/o 52 and 58can't think of the name right off. went to the pump and used my card. but as i looked up i seen that the door had a gun buster sign on it. i turned and cut off the pump, because i will not do business with a company that has that sign on their door. it upset me so bad that i took off my firearm and left it in the truck, and went inside to take them a "no gun = no $" card. it probably got round filed, but i did get them to know that i would not be shopping there. i went next door and got gas for 2 cents less.

i hope that they realize that i buy 80$ worth of gas every time i go through there, which is at least once a week

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
here 's one. i was going through Hillsville and needed gas. one of the lowest was at the c/o 52 and 58can't think of the name right off. went to the pump and used my card. but as i looked up i seen that the door had a gun buster sign on it. i turned and cut off the pump, because i will not do business with a company that has that sign on their door. it upset me so bad that i took off my firearm and left it in the truck, and went inside to take them a "no gun = no $" card. it probably got round filed, but i did get them to know that i would not be shopping there. i went next door and got gas for 2 cents less.

i hope that they realize that i buy 80$ worth of gas every time i go through there, which is at least once a week

Save your receipts for a month and show them. Take the time to explain to the manager/owner how only LAC obey the law, BGs don't. Ask them to rethink their policy - nothing to lose and possibly something to gain.

TFred

I've always thought this cartoon was particularly effective:

428778_3147953218587_1257751584_33378818_1495775041_n.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Always wanted to ask if unfriendly banks and such if they "disarm" the rest of their security systems. :uhoh:

The best bells and whistles are the ones inside your head - listen to them.

Old Virginia Joe

My profession has me talking with gas station/store owners and managers every single day I go to work. Over the years, the one thing I have consistently heard from them was how little money they actually make off gas. Of course you might also buy some snacks and etc., but just saying they don't seem to care if you buy gas or not. Markup is just not there (they say). FWIW .02

BillB

[video=youtube;C0vyxgJLJVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vyxgJLJVA[/video]

va_tazdad

So they say

My profession has me talking with gas station/store owners and managers every single day I go to work. Over the years, the one thing I have consistently heard from them was how little money they actually make off gas. Of course you might also buy some snacks and etc., but just saying they don't seem to care if you buy gas or not. Markup is just not there (they say). FWIW .02

My father -in-law used to have the Shell station at 95 & Willis Road. In Febnruary his slowest month, he pumped 200k gallons of gas. When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon. That equals $20k a month just on gas.

Yes, they have a much larger mark up on food stuffs, but don't let them tell you how poor they are from selling gas.

Felix

...but don't let them tell you how poor they are from selling gas.

Actually, I'd say that equates to a very low ROI (Return On Investment) when you consider the sunk and recurring costs involved to make $20k/month.

I know of no gas station owners living in the affluent areas of my county.

Old Virginia Joe

Actually, I'd say that equates to a very low ROI (Return On Investment) when you consider the sunk and recurring costs involved to make $20k/month.

I know of no gas station owners living in the affluent areas of my county.

I agree with Felix.

"When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon." (10 %, GROSS?)

I assume that was his gross you speak of, right? We have to ask, after he paid his expenses to offer that gas, what was he making "net?" Many people look on businesses covetously, but all they can see is how much is going into the register---that's not all profit. Plus, making .10 per gallon back then does not mean that is still the case these days.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with Felix.

"When gas was $1 a gallon he was making 10 cents a gallon." (10 %, GROSS?)

I assume that was his gross you speak of, right? We have to ask, after he paid his expenses to offer that gas, what was he making "net?" Many people look on businesses covetously, but all they can see is how much is going into the register---that's not all profit. Plus, making .10 per gallon back then does not mean that is still the case these days.

Harris said that by going to http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/ and clicking on the link under gasoline, “It shows that retailing is about 7 percent of the cost of a gallon of gas.

“At $3.50 a gallon, that equals about 25 cents, of which all overhead has to be taken to get your net – I think that is why the five to eight cent range is probably a good ‘guesstimate,’” Harris said.
http://www.myreporter.com/?p=10887

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't see that the thread has strayed that much in commenting on thoughts developed as a result of post #2 - the only one to date relating to SW VA. Feel free to post such material as relates to that area.

The big difference between this thread and the one prior is the lack of animosity and irritation expressed this time.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

-Rolls eyes- Yeah yeah yeah. Still off topic. Tis not a gas station store map of where each one is located and if they make any money on the gas they buy.

First Citizens bank in Mt Airy doesn't have a no guns sticker on their doors, seemed friendly enough while I was in there, no one asked or seemed to really notice I had my gun on my hip.

papa bear

-Rolls eyes- Yeah yeah yeah. Still off topic. Tis not a gas station store map of where each one is located and if they make any money on the gas they buy.

First Citizens bank in Mt Airy doesn't have a no guns sticker on their doors, seemed friendly enough while I was in there, no one asked or seemed to really notice I had my gun on my hip.

Hey thats one of my banks. i have been in there lots of time OCing. so far they have not said anything. thats great

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Hey thats one of my banks. i have been in there lots of time OCing. so far they have not said anything. thats great

Cool, yeah I had my revolver on my hip and walked up to the door thinking "If they have the no guns sign I will go back to the truck and take it out of the holster and get my business done, get back to the truck and put it back in my holster." I seen no sign and was like "Hells yes, I can OC in here, I like this bank more now."

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Well, got my first person nervous about OCing. Cana Country Store, guy working there told me not to bring the pistol back in the store, but will have a talk with the owner about it next time I see him. See why, and why he has not put up the no guns sign on his door. Ask him nicely if he would put it on the door if he don't allow guns in there.

Wish me luck, will see what I can do about them allowing it, if it is the owner not allowing, or if it were just a nervous employee.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, got my first person nervous about OCing. Cana Country Store, guy working there told me not to bring the pistol back in the store, but will have a talk with the owner about it next time I see him. See why, and why he has not put up the no guns sign on his door. Ask him nicely if he would put it on the door if he don't allow guns in there.

Wish me luck, will see what I can do about them allowing it, if it is the owner not allowing, or if it were just a nervous employee.

Please, never ever ask that a gun buster sign be put up!

Such signs are negative advertisement of the highest form. Everybody, whether pro, anti, or fence sitter will see them and remember them - you would want to be responsible for that?

By all means talk to the owner - maybe you can get it straighten out. If not take your money and your business somewhere else and report them as "unfriendly."