• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

kygunowner

i just started open carry and I would like to ask a Question, When you open carry do you have to have a special type carrying case before you can open-carry? When I bought mine it came with a holster in the case is that OK to open carry with?
Also I should have my CCDW next week does that stop me from open carry?

Sorry about the heading we are new at this....:confused:

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Ohhhhh man, you have to know the special handshake, the special shoes and, of course, the special case. :)

Nah, you'll need ammunition, for one. Now are we talking holsters? This is largely personal preference. I use an OWB bianchi holster. Retention is always a good thing, too.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

09jisaac

Stop making threads titled "Open carry" if you have a specific question (like the two you posted) reference that question in the title. Make the title something like "Cases for open carrying" or "OCing with a CCDW"

I assume you meant holster. You can OC with any holster you wish, without a CCDW I would suggest you not use an inside waist band (IWB) holster or just have it exposed out of your pocket as this may quickly turn into concealed carry.

Also, your CCDW has NOTHING to do with open carrying. The license is to carry a concealed deadly weapon, it chances nothing about open carrying. The only difference is now you can open carry without 1000' of a school (just not on school property in most cases).

**Does the special handshake**

Last edited:

rob31567

i just started open carry and I would like to ask a Question, When you open carry do you have to have a special type carrying case before you can open-carry? When I bought mine it came with a holster in the case is that OK to open carry with?
Also I should have my CCDW next week does that stop me from open carry?

Just because you get your ccdw doesnt mean that you have to stop ocing. Just allows you to cover up when you need too.

hotrod

Stop making threads titled "Open carry" if you have a specific question (like the two you posted) reference that question in the title. Make the title something like "Cases for open carrying" or "OCing with a CCDW"

I assume you meant holster. You can OC with any holster you wish, without a CCDW I would suggest you not use an inside waist band (IWB) holster or just have it exposed out of your pocket as this may quickly turn into concealed carry.

Also, your CCDW has NOTHING to do with open carrying. The license is to carry a concealed deadly weapon, it chances nothing about open carrying. The only difference is now you can open carry without 1000' of a school (just not on school property in most cases).

**Does the special handshake**

Why not IWB holster? Seems to me to be a perfectly sound choice. Someone needs to teach me the handshake!

09jisaac

Why not IWB holster? Seems to me to be a perfectly sound choice. Someone needs to teach me the handshake!

It is. I said it can quickly turn into a concealed carry. Without a permit this would be illegal. Say I have my shirt tucked into my pants, making IWB perfectly legal, then I bend to the opposite side of my firearm and my shirt pulls out. If my shirt covers my firearm then I am concealed carrying a deadly weapon. If, for some reason, I did not notice this and continue on my way I may be stopped.

I wish I could teach you the handshake, but I am just not for sure you are dedicated enough to reach the skill needed. :p

flb_78

Yes it's a 9mm XD 4 inch barrel

If it's the kit as pictured, then yes, that holster is sufficient.

XD9101HCSPO6.jpg

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Gutshot. I would recommend that you try the galco king tuk, or comp-tac minatour. These holsters, unlike regular holsters that are the shape of the gun, have a large leather backplate and it eliminates the gun digging into your hip, and also spreads the weight out very well. These holsters are more comfortable, to me, than an OWB (most of them). If you're having problems concealing a certain gun, I would check them out.

neuroblades

Holsters

Personally, i thought that an IWB holster would tend to be the most uncomfortable thing ever but after experiencing the Galco Summer Comfort II holster (IWB), I was amazed at just how comfortable this thing really was! I have also been reading great things about both the Galco King Tuck & the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe. I have to say, though I haven't ordered one yet, I am impressed with the fact that Crossbreed has a Lifetime Warranty & a Try It FREE Guarantee! You can't ask for more than that. Additionally, if you willing to forgo the Try It Free Guarantee, you can even purchase a Crossbreed holdter even cheaper by going to Crossbreed Seconds (http://www.crossbreedseconds.com/) and can save some hard earned cash.