• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now sending Swat teams is for fun

stealthyeliminator

[strike]I wouldn't say it's just now - maybe it's just now they aren't lying aren't always lying about it...[/strike] should have read more. Yeah, very dangerous game there. I hope it's never taken lightly by the responding police agency, as I'm sure it's probably not.

Last edited:

Gallowmere

Correct! This happens quite a bit. Usually the false caller gets caught and the government goes after them. You only hear about this occasionally. Sometimes their are injuries. Google is your friend, then go to videos.

Considering that even the most pedestrian of calls to the police can end up getting someone beaten or killed these days, the pranksters should face severe civil penalties from the victim as well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Considering that even the most pedestrian of calls to the police can end up getting someone beaten or killed these days, the pranksters should face severe civil penalties from the victim as well.

Well, if in the US, if he has any dogs .... we know....:lol:

stealthyeliminator

Not nice.... puppies are family members.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yup.

Glad to see a police officer with this attitude toward pets/living creatures.

So what does it say about a kid that he'd actually make one of these fake police calls? I can't even imagine imagining doing this when I was a kid. What gives? Or is it not just children doing this?

Last edited:

Primus

Yup.

Glad to see a police officer with this attitude toward pets/living creatures.

So what does it say about a kid that he'd actually make one of these fake police calls? I can't even imagine imagining doing this when I was a kid. What gives? Or is it not just children doing this?

They just don't make kids like they used to. Well literally yea they do.... I think..... but figuratively they come out different. Well they come out the same way... but they are just different. You get what I mean.

Same kids partake in the knock out game. Same kids think its a good idea to bring guns/knives to school to kill teachers/students. Just raised different.

davidmcbeth

Banned
They just don't make kids like they used to. Well literally yea they do.... I think..... but figuratively they come out different. Well they come out the same way... but they are just different. You get what I mean.

Same kids partake in the knock out game. Same kids think its a good idea to bring guns/knives to school to kill teachers/students. Just raised different.

Steroids..ever hear of them?

Primus

Steroids..ever hear of them?

I have. Not sure what that has to do with kids calling in prank calls to emergency services to get their friend get "swatted".

We had one about 2 weeks ago. Guy called multiple times stated he had family held at gunpoint and was going to kill everyone at x address. Hung up. Called again stated we had something like 30 seconds to respond or he was killing everyone inside and that he was not coming out alive. Luckily responding officers were able to speak with residents actually home at x address and determined it was a prank. But that was because residents actually cooperated and spoke with officers on scene and helped clarify that the people home (multiple floors) were all safe and no one had called. Everyone, most importantly residents of said house, went home safely. Was determined to be an attempt at "swatting".

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have. Not sure what that has to do with kids calling in prank calls to emergency services to get their friend get "swatted".

We had one about 2 weeks ago. Guy called multiple times stated he had family held at gunpoint and was going to kill everyone at x address. Hung up. Called again stated we had something like 30 seconds to respond or he was killing everyone inside and that he was not coming out alive. Luckily responding officers were able to speak with residents actually home at x address and determined it was a prank. But that was because residents actually cooperated and spoke with officers on scene and helped clarify that the people home (multiple floors) were all safe and no one had called. Everyone, most importantly residents of said house, went home safely. Was determined to be an attempt at "swatting".

Nothing .. I misread the post ...

http://postimg.org/image/pln9307i5/

Jack House

Having a SWAT team and using a SWAT isn't necessarily a bad thing. A hostage situation, I would argue, is one such example where using the SWAT team is actually justified. The issue with SWAT teams is that they're used for everything under the sun and tend to go in half cocked.

Primus

Having a SWAT team and using a SWAT isn't necessarily a bad thing. A hostage situation, I would argue, is one such example where using the SWAT team is actually justified. The issue with SWAT teams is that they're used for everything under the sun and tend to go in half cocked.

I would tend to agree the level needed for a full srt/swat team deployment seems lower then it may have been before (opinion no cites or numbers just from experience). I think this is from an advancement in training that makes these teams readily available on shorter notice and less funds, so its easier for the CO to just say "its a call out" and within x amount of minutes you have your team as opposed it used to be a song and dance.

Also, the modern criminal HAS evolved. Things like the LA shootout were a huge wake up call for LE. It was no longer just some idiot with a gun you could take care of with a shotgun. I'm NOT blaming this on guns/availability of guns. I have NO idea what changed the criminals. But I can tell you I work with quite a few guys who have been on for 30+ years and they are the first to say bad guys are a whole different breed these days. More apt to shoot you in the face(bad) or shoot their whole family in the face (way worse) then they are to just get into a fist fight with you. So with the increased danger of these d bags to the community its easier in SOME cases (read again.... some) to justify a deployment. I'm not concerned with deployments. I'm concerned when they go off half cocked and citizens get hurt/killed that didn't don't need to. And puppies....

Again.... just opinion.

stealthyeliminator

I would tend to agree the level needed for a full srt/swat team deployment seems lower then it may have been before (opinion no cites or numbers just from experience). I think this is from an advancement in training that makes these teams readily available on shorter notice and less funds, so its easier for the CO to just say "its a call out" and within x amount of minutes you have your team as opposed it used to be a song and dance.

Also, the modern criminal HAS evolved. Things like the LA shootout were a huge wake up call for LE. It was no longer just some idiot with a gun you could take care of with a shotgun. I'm NOT blaming this on guns/availability of guns. I have NO idea what changed the criminals. But I can tell you I work with quite a few guys who have been on for 30+ years and they are the first to say bad guys are a whole different breed these days. More apt to shoot you in the face(bad) or shoot their whole family in the face (way worse) then they are to just get into a fist fight with you. So with the increased danger of these d bags to the community its easier in SOME cases (read again.... some) to justify a deployment. I'm not concerned with deployments. I'm concerned when they go off half cocked and citizens get hurt/killed that didn't don't need to. And puppies....

Again.... just opinion.

I wonder if this negative evolution of the criminal is in any way linked or related to the negative evolution of other types of people that we are seeing. For instance, these kids that are pulling stunts like making these dangerous 911 calls. It would seem to me that there is a general degradation which is effecting all of society, from the criminals to the children. What would be to blame for this?

Primus

I wonder if this negative evolution of the criminal is in any way linked or related to the negative evolution of other types of people that we are seeing. For instance, these kids that are pulling stunts like making these dangerous 911 calls. It would seem to me that there is a general degradation which is effecting all of society, from the criminals to the children. What would be to blame for this?

Agreed. And I honestly have no idea. I think that's the million dollar question my friend. Depending on who you ask someone will have have a different cause/boogey man.

Videogames, TV, economy on a downswing, lack of family units (no dads or dad is in jail), lack of religion in families or society, desensitization of violence in general, etc. Etc.

If I had to wager I would put D all of the above. I've seen screwed up kids first hand. I know the areas I tend to see more of them and I can usually guess the family structure (lack of) before I ever walk in the door and hear the story. But its by no means exclusive to said neighborhoods. Sometimes its the stuff in the real nice areas that surprises you.

I would wager there is a damn near Universal degradation .

For example, I use sir/ma'am with basically everyone. Old, young (not kids but even early 20s college age younger then me) doesn't matter. It NEVER fails when I'm at a store and I ask the cashier "how are you today ma'am?" Or at the doctors "thank you ma'am I appreciate it" I will damn near always get asked "where are you from? When I explain I was born and raised in a not so nice area of MA they then immediately ask, military? I then say yes (used to can't anymore :() . People up here automatically assume that if you are polite and respectful that your from the south or in the military and its forced on you.

Now what has caused that to occur? Why do adults my age or older not use common courtesy? Why is it literally befuddling to people up here when they meet a guy who does use said courtesy? I always take the opportunity to ask the person why they are surprised and assumed I was from out of town, they always respond because its unheard of around here. Well wtf.... so you bet your a$$ my son will be using sir/ma'am to everyone. At least there will be 2 guys in this city that do.

FreeInAZ

In short - A HOLES raising A HOLES, who in turn raise more A HOLES! It maybe a over simplification, but thats how I see it. When I was a kid (think flintstones) if I did something wrong ie.. throw snowballs at cars, etc... guess what? Everyone knew each other in the neighborhood. This meant the odds were that someone in the neighborhood had called my parents & a A$$ whipping was waiting for me. Today, nobody says anything and should the parents dare spank a kid for doing harm to others, they face abuse charges from a totally malfunctioning/inept child protective services division :eek:. Now there in lies many of our problems... when the village no longer raises the children, we end up with a lot of village idiots! Not saying parent(s) don't share in the blame...just saying we as a society have totally gotten away from many of the values that helped make this country great. So we do indeed reap what we sow.

Today - most people don't know or even attempt to speak with their neighbors. They are afraid of getting involved. Left unchecked evil/bad elements of a society flourish. I think we are now reaping what we have sown over the last few decades. We are a divided society. As such easily overtaken by internal social "sicknesses". United we stand. Devided we fall. Put your crash helmets on fellers! It's going to be a bumpy ride!