• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antis launch 'background check' petition

Dave Workman

Better check with the folks in Washington state, where an initiative for UBCs is well under way. :uhoh: :banghead:

Another ‘background check’ measure filed, this time in Nevada

The Associated Press and San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that another gun control lobbying group, this one based in Nevada, has launched an initiative campaign to expand background checks, this time in the Silver State.

http://www.examiner.com/article/another-background-check-measure-filed-this-time-nevada

Midwest

All those calling for more background checks should have background checks done on them.

I have long maintained that ALL politicians must undergo criminal, financial and psychological background checks before running for office. And background checks every two years that they are in office. If they can't pass, they lose their job.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have long maintained that ALL politicians must undergo criminal, financial and psychological background checks before running for office. And background checks every two years that they are in office. If they can't pass, they lose their job.

Don't forget drug and alcohol testing every couple of months.

Lasjayhawk

Better check with the folks in Washington state, where an initiative for UBCs is well under way. :uhoh: :banghead:

Another ‘background check’ measure filed, this time in Nevada

The Associated Press and San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that another gun control lobbying group, this one based in Nevada, has launched an initiative campaign to expand background checks, this time in the Silver State.

http://www.examiner.com/article/another-background-check-measure-filed-this-time-nevada

The PAC was filed with the SOS office at 2:45, the petition at 2:46
Both directors on the PAC filing listed a phone number for a lobbying group that's clients include Everytown
One director listed a mailing address that is the same one as....Everytown
The only affiliated group listed on the PAC filing is......Everytown

Make no mistake, this group is not based in Nevada, it is a strawman for Everytown. Would have been more honest to call it Bloomberg for Background Checks, IMHO

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I'm looking forward to seeing someone pushing this petition.

I will happily sign it. Not with my actual name or address, of course, in hopes that it's one of the signatures checked when the forms are turned in.

If I have time, I will hang around and remind people that their signatures -- and ADDRESSES -- become public records, useful to those who might want to know where they can meet, say, single women who are likely to not own a gun.

Heck, I might decide to become a circulator myself, let them send me a few hundred blank petitions to lose, damage, or let be circulated by someone who isn't registered to vote in Nevada. These tactics are particularly effective, as people who have signed once are highly unlikely to sign again.

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

They'd have no problems cheating the checking system, or bribing their way through.

I will happily sign it. Not with my actual name or address, of course, in hopes that it's one of the signatures checked when the forms are turned in.

If I have time, I will hang around and remind people that their signatures -- and ADDRESSES -- become public records, useful to those who might want to know where they can meet, say, single women who are likely to not own a gun.

Heck, I might decide to become a circulator myself, let them send me a few hundred blank petitions to lose, damage, or let be circulated by someone who isn't registered to vote in Nevada. These tactics are particularly effective, as people who have signed once are highly unlikely to sign again.

I'd probably sign if they asked me... I'd put something like "Signed: Luke Skywalker (please disarm those Storm Troopers, they are a menace)"

Last edited:

garand_guy

Might be voter fraud but no one would ever find you, and quite frankly, it's time to start fighting not-clean (but not dirty).

DVC

Actually, it's protected free speech to sign a petition with false information (for instance, if you feel intimidated and figure that you have to sign to avoid retribution). It is the responsibility of the circulator to verify that information is accurate.

Turbod'1

Actually, it's protected free speech to sign a petition with false information (for instance, if you feel intimidated and figure that you have to sign to avoid retribution). It is the responsibility of the circulator to verify that information is accurate.

Well, one could argue that a private company (or a forum) could restrict 'free speech' under their TOS or that an 'independent' journalist could cheery pick the results they find most useful (Which is often done on late night shows designed to make people look stupid BUT ONLY show those that are actually stupid (if you didn't fall for it, will they show you? Probably not.))... Short of suing for civil liberty violations (which few will do for obvious reasons): Bottom line, you just might be struck from their 'petition' if they feel you wouldn't be helpful to their cause.

Petitions are worthless. Actions are not. And that's why we Open Carry - we ACTIVELY stand up for our Rights and put ourselves out there for better or worse.

DVC

A petition drive got Arizona to legalize CCW, and led to the eventual passage of Constitutional Carry.

You want action? Make a "crook" costume and hang around the people circulating this petition and ask if people who might sign REALLY want you to know who they are, where they live, and that they probably don't have a gun in the house . . .and make a big thing out of encouraging people to sign . . .

Turbod'1

I say petitions are a very important part of the actions. Many successes as the result of petitions however will agree without actions not worth much.
I take exception in that they have managed to get people to protest Dihydrogen Monoxide -- water. :banghead:

It doesn't take much to sway the ignorant masses which is why the United States isn't a Democracy. ;)