• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification needed!!

gunguy2009

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/publications/im/IM2011_10.pdf

In this wonderful link that was sent to me, I found a section that I don't understand. The top of page 5, paragraphs 1 and 2. The first one states that Colleges and Universities can prohibit firearms. The second says they cannot without a provision prohibiting it, meaning??? Is a "no carry" sign a provision? My college does unfortunately prohibit them... I'm assuming they will figure out how to do it, but I hope they don't post the 5X7 signs, which would allow me to carry legally. :)

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
If you look at the actual bill you will see language that says in 943.13 (1m) (c),(Disclaimer: this is the way I read it and someone else, including the University, may read it differently...) that a university or college can't prohibit carry on any part of its grounds, in a car in a parking lot, or in a residential building and the building's common areas IF you are a resident. :D

gunguy2009

That would be nice! As of now, they don't even allow you to have a weapon in your vehicle while parked on the property. The LAST thing I need is to get booted outta school when this is my last year!! So I think I'm gonna dig into this question a little more... Does Walker do Emails?

paul@paul-fisher.com

If you look at the actual bill you will see language that says in 943.13 (1m) (c),(Disclaimer: this is the way I read it and someone else, including the University, may read it differently...) that a university or college can't prohibit carry on any part of its grounds, in a car in a parking lot, or in a residential building and the building's common areas IF you are a resident. :D

I am reading it the same way.

apjonas

Discretion is Important

Even though the new law may permit certain activities, it does not require that anybody engage in those activities at every available opportuniity. There is no need to flaunt carry on college campii. Concealed is a better choice all other things being equal. Remember that we are dealing with a law. Laws can be changed by future governments. One sure way to increase restrictions is to draw attention to oneself. I am not going to list what that may entail, most everybody is smart enough to figure it out for themselves. The purpose of this law is to enhance self-defense, not pick up chicks, make the news or poke your finger in the eye of the university administration. If the legislature gets a slew of phone calls from anxious parents worried, however irrationally, about Freddy Freshman, expect certain members to seize upon that emotion to attempt to add new no-carry zones or other restrictions.

There has been much (justified) complaint about Bill Berry's column. Yet, if you look at some posts on OCDO and similar sites, it is not hard to figure out why people like Berry write such stuff. There is a grain of truth to some of what he says, he just extrapolates to the nth degree. Quite often, when I read a post about a particular self-defense scenario that is extremely improbable, carrying backup guns, purchasing CCW badges, using a CWL for identification, standing your ground in a public place etc., I wonder if some don't have a unhealthy concept of OC/CC.

I am not saying that any discussion of these issues is indicative of a problem but some people (albeit a very small percentage) go overboard and give the Bill Berrys (Berries?) of this world a hook on which to hang their monsters.

jpm84092

Here is something to ponder. WI SS 947.01(2) takes effect the day after publication.

947.01 (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the
person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading,
carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly
carried.

(Copied and pasted directly from the Bill)

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Here is something to ponder. WI SS 947.01(2) takes effect the day after publication.

947.01 (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the
person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading,
carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly
carried.

Yep, they did a couple things that took either memo's or court rulings and gave them rule of law. This part was taking the AG memo and they took the Supreme Court rulings about exceptions to the concealed carry law in one's house or place of business and expanded it to all your owned real estate. It would of been nice if they expanded a little further to your vehicle but we can work on that in the fall session.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

carried.

This section just eliminates some firearm activities (loading, concealing, openly carrying) as reasons to be charged with disorderly conduct. If you are doing other things such as unholstering and waving the firearm around, you could still be be charged with DC for criminal intent. What was the point you were trying to make?

Last edited:

jpm84092

This section just eliminates some firearm activities (loading, concealing, openly carrying) as reasons to be charged with disorderly conduct. If you doing other things such as unholstering and waving the firearm around, you could still be be charged with DC for criminal intent. What was the point you were trying to make?

No Point being being made. I just wanted to hear what others had to say who are more familiar with the history and intent of the Bill. It was a request for commentary.

paul@paul-fisher.com

No Point being being made. I just wanted to hear what others had to say who are more familiar with the history and intent of the Bill. It was a request for commentary.

I thought I explained it here

I guess I didn't make it clear. It's an addition to the DC statute that says DC can't be charged absent any other crime if someone is oc'ing or cc'ing. It basically puts into legislation the memo released by the AG saying the same thing.

gunguy2009

apjonas- It's going to be carried concealed while in class, not OC'ed. I'm not going to be flaunting my weapon, I'm not trying to be the cool guy, I'm already as cool as a polar bear :). As for chicks, I've got my woman. And the only woman there is the administrator for the Aviation center, and let's just say she's NOT my type, lol. The program I'm in is Airframe & Powerplant, most girls don't want to work on planes, jets, and helicopters...

The college I go to also has an Aviation Center at the Airport, which only has 2 class rooms which are above a hanger filled with our own aircrafts. My class only has 10 people (very small) and we don't change rooms, the instructors come to us. So I don't come in contact with 200-300 people a day. Of the 10 people- 2 Navy, 3 Army, 1 Air Force, and 1 Instructor that is a retired Marine that has 2 tours in Vietnam. My class is fairly comfortable around guns... They all know I open carry and know about the CC bill. No one will be alarmed. Regardless, its not going to be visible anyways...

Thank you everyone else for ur input and help answering this question. We will see what the fall brings as far as college carry goes...

Last edited: