• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry IN Gig Harbor

SIGGER40

Has anyone encountered any negativity OCing in GH? If you are OCing and a citizen notifies GHPD what is likely to happen ?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone encountered any negativity OCing in GH? If you are OCing and a citizen notifies GHPD what is likely to happen ?

I have many times carried, OC, in downtown GH with out incident. As to your second question...

Welcome to OCDO. Please spend a good week or two reading the board, go back and read the old threads from years past..... read the FAQ sticky....

Squeak

Welcome to the movement of OC. I say that because some people think that OC is a club or an organization. We are far from organized! ( insert a joking smiley face here) We, most, are ordinary people with an idea that 2A is a right and we want to enlighten people that......................heck! We just like guns! Ya wanna have coffee at Starbucks by Home depot? Set up a meet. This afternoon?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the movement of OC. I say that because some people think that OC is a club or an organization. We are far from organized! ( insert a joking smiley face here) We, most, are ordinary people with an idea that 2A is a right and we want to enlighten people that......................heck! We just like guns! Ya wanna have coffee at Starbucks by Home depot? Set up a meet. This afternoon?

What we are meeting this afternoon? Did you get the board to approve that? You know Squeak you owe me a cup of coffee!:banana:

tombrewster421

I believe it was Kenshin that had issues in Gig Harbor. I think The most recent was over a year ago though. Look up the thread "looked down the barrel of a 1911 today". That's the only negative I've heard about from that area but it was perpetrated by Pierce County Sheriffs though.

SIGGER40

Thanks for all the replies guys.. I CC and have thought about OC. I just can't get up the nerve and I feel like people will be staring at me.. I have looked at past threads and it does seem to be a little sticky. I just needed some updated info. Would have been cool to meet a Starbucks for coffee this afternoon but I was pulling RO duty.. Would have been nice to have some face to face conversation on the subject...Thanks again guys..............

amlevin

Thanks for all the replies guys.. I CC and have thought about OC. I just can't get up the nerve and I feel like people will be staring at me.. I have looked at past threads and it does seem to be a little sticky. I just needed some updated info. Would have been cool to meet a Starbucks for coffee this afternoon but I was pulling RO duty.. Would have been nice to have some face to face conversation on the subject...Thanks again guys..............

First thing to do is overcome your lack of ease with OC. One way is to wear your firearm around the house and yard on your days off to start out. Put it on when you get up in the morning and leave it on all day. Then wear it out when you walk the dog or go buy gas. As you get more used to the firearm on your hip you'll get over your shyness.

The majority of people in public won't even notice you are carrying. Of the few that notice, most of them don't care. If someone does notice, and wants to make an issue of it, chances are they'll try to tell someone and get the answer "it's perfectly legal".

In the end, the more comfortable you are carrying your handgun openly, the more comfortable those around you will be about it.

Ajetpilot

I OC in Gig Harbor almost every day, and I've never had a problem. I've ridden past LE vehicles on my bike, had LEOs wave at me as they drove passed me as a pedestrian, and stood behind LEOs in checkout lines. One day I was walking down the street with my wife, and a LEO did a double take as he drove passed, turned around ½ block away, and drove by again for another look without stopping. Downtown, Uptown, Borgan Boulevard all good.

Last edited:

kenshin

For the most part, OC in Gig Harbor is great, the people are really friendly and I had many great conversations with folks about open carry. The sherriff's there are another matter though. I had a couple run in's with the peninsula branch of the Pierce County Sherriff's. You can read about them on the board.

I've moved out to Roy recently and haven't had any incidents out here.

Oh, and welcome to OCDO!

o2ryan

Welcome to the movement of OC....

Squeak, I take one exception to your greeting. A Movement has a starting position and an ending position, suggesting that one day this activity we all are engaged in will come to an end. A Revolution has no beginning or end, but is a continuous movement. Welcome to the Revolution! :)

And Sigger, Welcome to OCDO!