• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing and dispatching a wounded animal roadside or similar?

mobeewan

It depends on the locality. Some counties unfortunately are ditch to ditch and that's why you see those damn doghunters standing along the road on the other side of the ditch.

Mobeweewan, just like the idea of breaking a Deer's neck, have you ever tried dragging a wounded and still kicking Deer anywhere?

This is just one of those questions the OP knows the right answer and what the right thing to do is...it's just best he not broadcast it.

I'm not going to drag a wounded deer, as I stated if it were not my animal including a deer, I would call the sherrif's dept to handle it. If it were my animal I would take care of it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not going to drag a wounded deer, as I stated if it were not my animal including a deer, I would call the sherrif's dept to handle it. If it were my animal I would take care of it.

Oh, I must have misunderstood you.:lol:

Alpengeist

I've always been told to dispatch it with a knife(if it's safe), pull it to the side of the road and then report it from LEO's (or just take it home). After all, that's all they do as well until cleanup can arrive.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

DJ, Sheriff Diggs' Deputies are very proactive when it comes to dealing with injured wildlife on the roadways. I've spoken to several of them on the subject and they've all had experience on the subject. As posted earlier, it IS illegal for you to discharge your firearm within 100' of a roadway. It is also ill-advised to try to slit a deer's throat Rambo-style. Looks like a good way to get stictches like Peter did or the other guy with the bruised liver that shut down.

I'd just call the SO and report it. They'll get there pretty quickly unless they're otherwise occupied.