• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Blue Card for pistol transferred in my name

schecter

My father is going to give or sell to me 2 of his pistols. I'm 19, and neither of us have a record. We live in Las Vegas, Nevada, Clark County. 1 is a 9mm semi auto that he bought New about 18 years ago and has the blue card. The Second is a .22 single six that he bought new about 5ish years ago, and he lost the blue card.

How would we go about getting these pistols transferred into my name? Would I have my own blue cards?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I will answer them.

Thanks for your help.

The Big Guy

I need to get a Blue Card too, i just moved here from out of state though...is there anything special you need to provide/what is the fee for this card?

Nevermind, found all the info i need here: http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

No fee. Need ID. They run your background and give you a card. Take your unloaded firearm to any police station in the county and they will take the sn# off it and write up a description. There is no requirement to keep or carry the "blue card". You can through it away if you want after you get it. It is just a receipt that you registered it.

TBG

The Big Guy

Don't throw it away. If you buy a new gun in Clark County, from a gun shop, and don't have your blue card you'll have to wait three days to get your new gun.

No longer true with instant check. Pick out your gun, pay for it and the background check fee, they run you through the system and assuming you check out ok, walk out with your gun. There is no wait.

TBG

The Big Guy

I believe outside of Henderson they still do three days.

Sent from the Droid on roids

Then that must be one of those Grandfathered things that Las Vegas and or N. Las Vegas hang onto against state pre-emption. You are right about Henderson as I have bought 2 handguns in the past year and walked out that day. I sure don't recall it being mentioned in the NRS I've read. Just another reason to do business here in freedom loving Henderson.

TBG

Sabotage70

Spurlocks is one of the stores on my "like" list and that is a small list. The guys in there are really nice. I bought my XDM40 there and that's where I get some of my reloading stuff.

Sent from the Droid on roids

JackOR

Quick followup,

Went to the substation @ Las Vegas Blvd & Russell

Ladies there were very nice and helpful, I was in Army Combat Uniform having just got off, I had a little issue with an out of state license (which I am not required to change as long as I maintain my military service) But she accepted a letter from the VA with my Vegas address.

Gave me a lot of info about how to stay out of trouble carrying into different jurisdictions. Although when I casually asked about open carry she stated "You can theoretically open carry a weapon on a gun belt, its just nobody will let you onto their property."

I was still in uniform and they had my weapon so I didn't want to get into an argument about the legality of open carry, overall very easy and pleasant experience though.

JackOR

They gave me a flyer with info on how to carry the weapon in the vehicle legally and how to avoid motor vehicle break ins (basically saying hiding your weapon under the seat is not considered concealed)

Also had info on N. LV & Henderson because their policy could be different, not an encyclopedia of information, but a nice service to help gun owners stay legal when the law can be grey in areas.

FMJ ED

I had a little issue with an out of state license

I maintain a residence in New Mexico, however, I work in Las Vegas. I also have a rented room in las Vegas. I only spend a few days (<8 in Vegas) per month. Will I have a problem getting a card, or do I even need to? I've seen reference to 24 hours in a few posts.

Thanks

sorry thats a little confusing, I actually work in NYE county, but the company headquarters are in Las Vegas.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Did your informational pamphlet resemble this one (attached) or have they upgraded?

Wow, they are still telling people that they have to carry the "Blue Card" and produce it upon orders of an Officer? They also say you can't have your firearm in a bag/case/container. What a weath of disinformation.

The only place you may have problems is NLV. The rest of the state is good to go. If you get caught up in NLV the NRA is looking for a good test case.

TBG

Vegassteve

I maintain a residence in New Mexico, however, I work in Las Vegas. I also have a rented room in las Vegas. I only spend a few days (<8 in Vegas) per month. Will I have a problem getting a card, or do I even need to? I've seen reference to 24 hours in a few posts.

Thanks

sorry thats a little confusing, I actually work in NYE county, but the company headquarters are in Las Vegas.

60 days.

The Big Guy

I'm not a resident of Nevada. Everything I've read applies to residents, I guess who qualifies as a resident is the issue?

The only restriction is the length of time you are in the county otherwise you are good to go no "Blue Card" needed.

TBG

FMJ ED

The only restriction is the length of time you are in the county otherwise you are good to go no "Blue Card" needed.

TBG

Thanks TBG!

The only other question is, is it 60 days continuous, or total? the room I rent is usually a short pit stop (I spend Mon-Fri at work in Nye) on my way to and from New Mexico, but I always have my pistol with me.

I know it's a weird deal, I just want to make sure I'm not breaking the law in Clark County. I guess I could just go in and apply for a card and see what they say.

Thanks again.
Ed

Last edited: