• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy

bryan_roberts

Hello everyone. I'm the new guy.

I just moved to OH a few weeks ago from Texas. I moved up here to take a contract position that is only going to last 2-3 years. I still own a home in Texas that I rent and for tax purposes, my state of residence (according to my license) will stay as Texas.

My question is: since I live here and technically have a residence here, am I able to apply for an OH CHL or would I have to change my license over? I know there is an open carry, but it's limited as to where I can take it.

I do not have a CHL from Texas, so I can't use the reciprocity.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

JustaShooter

Hello everyone. I'm the new guy.

I just moved to OH a few weeks ago from Texas. I moved up here to take a contract position that is only going to last 2-3 years. I still own a home in Texas that I rent and for tax purposes, my state of residence (according to my license) will stay as Texas.

My question is: since I live here and technically have a residence here, am I able to apply for an OH CHL or would I have to change my license over? I know there is an open carry, but it's limited as to where I can take it.

I do not have a CHL from Texas, so I can't use the reciprocity.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan
Ohio now issues non-resident licenses to those who work in Ohio but are not residents, so you could get an Ohio license by virtue of your job as I understand it, even if what you are doing does not constitute being a resident of Ohio.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Employed in Ohio or Moving Out of State

2923.125. (F) (4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides, or in the case of an applicant who resides in another state to the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license, a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

(a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years or who is not a resident of this state but who is employed in this state, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.

(5) The concealed handgun license of a licensee who is no longer a resident of this state or no longer employed in this state, as applicable, is valid until the date of expiration on the license, and the licensee is prohibited from renewing the concealed handgun license.

Note: If employed in Ohio you can get an Ohio Permit/License. You apply just like a resident but must prove employment in Ohio. If you move out of state or leave your job in Ohio your Ohio permit/license remains valid until it expires.

Note: Ohio Sheriff’s can also issue an emergency license for those with a justifiable need without the training etc if they can demonstrate that need even if you are not a resident of Ohio but present in the state. Talk to your local Sheriff. For more information on Emergency Licenses See Sec. 2923.1213.

Last edited:

bryan_roberts

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I do not need to have an official residence in OH as long as I can prove I'm working here? Everywhere I have read states "a minimum of 30 days in county and 45 in state".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustaShooter

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I do not need to have an official residence in OH as long as I can prove I'm working here? Everywhere I have read states "a minimum of 30 days in county and 45 in state".

Correct. The 30 and 45 day requirements were removed with the changes to Ohio law that went into effect on March 23rd of this year.