• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater RVA OC breakfast Sat. 12/19 and Sun 12/20 alternate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
RCD at 10am is what Nap & I were planning, if Nap wants to switch to Shoneys near his place that's fine with me but unless I hear differently I'll be at the Diner at 10
Asking for recommendations then and making plans w/o posting ASAP leaves others in the dark. :(

Have deleted my previous post and will see everyone at 10:00am at the RCD (River City Diner) Parham Rd location on Sun. 12/20

scouser

good breakfast this morning, best news of all was that RCD finally had restocked their malt vinegar after running dry over a month ago, so I 'celebrated' with the fish & french fries (sorry, cant call it fish n chips unless they cut the fries a LOT thicker). Battered white fish tastes so much better when it's swimming in a pool of malt vinegar.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
good breakfast this morning, best news of all was that RCD finally had restocked their malt vinegar after running dry over a month ago, so I 'celebrated' with the fish & french fries (sorry, cant call it fish n chips unless they cut the fries a LOT thicker). Battered white fish tastes so much better when it's swimming in a pool of malt vinegar.
I find most malt vinegar to mild for my taste. I likes it strong. How is theirs?

Last edited:

scouser

I find most malt vinegar to mild for my taste. I likes it strong. How is theirs?

well it makes the fish wet.

In my younger days I always liked stronger tastes, spicy hot, darker chocolaty, stronger minty, things like that. As I've gotten older I'm more accepting of milder tastes just so long as the hint of the flavor I'm looking for is there. I've probably had stronger malt vinegar in my life but the one they have does what it's supposed to, it gives the fish a bath and doesn't leave me wishing they didn't have it. I don't season food very often when I eat out, I figure I'll trust the chef to have perfected the flavoring, especially the food Bridget at RCD makes (the chicken noodle soup at Parham RD is her own family recipe and has onion in it, which I don't recall finding in a canned chicken noodle, and in my opinion it just makes it so much better). But malt vinegar on battered white fish is one thing I have to add, I might have put 1/4 of the bottle on my plate during the course of breakfast.