• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10 Day Waiting Period Question

Tekniqe

I'm going to be turning 21 on the 17th of August, and I live in California. I wanted to be able to have my handgun in-hand on that day, or as soon as possible.

Is it possible to begin the 10 day waiting process started before I am 21? I have looked around, but can't specifically find any mention of it. I would think not, considering you only have to be 18 to buy a shotgun, but I suppose handguns are a different story. The worst case scenario is I start the process, and get my firearm in 10 days.

This next question is related to open carry, if you have the time to read and consider it.

Soon afterward (after a month or so), I am planning on open carrying. (I've already contacted my State Senator via e-mail. Going to call soon, too) Unless something changes drastically within this month, my gun is going to be a Glock 17. Could anyone recommend any holsters? As for retention, I don't know that I want a level 3, but will attempt to remain open to suggestions and opinions.

Thanks very much in advance,
Dylan (aka Tekniqe)

Half Live

Man I feel sorry for you and other people who live in states that have a waiting period. But for your question, I would post it in your state forum for a better answer.

Tekniqe

Okay, thanks for the advice. I wasn't quite sure if my particular question was related only to California, or all states with a waiting period. Thanks!

Dreamer

The only legal way for you to purchase AND take possession of a handgun legally on the day of your 21st birthday is to move to a state that doesn't have waiting periods...

frommycolddeadhands

Why don't you just drive to a state that doesn't have waiting periods, purchase your firearm (You'll still have to fill out BATF forms and show ID), and then drive home? Might eat up a little gasoline, but if you're dead set on getting one the same day I think that would be your best bet.

You might wanna check out the laws in your neighboring state and find out what their requirements are regarding firearm purchase. Some states require that you be an actual resident of that state in order to purchase a firearm within that state.

Tekniqe

Unfortunately, I don't live particularly close to another state, otherwise I would consider it. I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and wait. =/

GWbiker

Unfortunately, I don't live particularly close to another state, otherwise I would consider it. I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and wait. =/

You might want to consider the following advice:

Under federal law, you can buy a shotgun or rifle at a FFl Dealer in any state, following that federal and state laws.

Handguns may be purchased, but must be shipped back to a FFL dealer in your own state, and transferred to you via your home state law.

NFA items have to be trasferred to a dealer in your own state for transfer to you.

Under no circumstances is it legal to purchase/sell any handgun/rifle/shotgun face to face from a resident of any other state without involving a FFL in the buyers home state.

thats how it works.