• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Triangle OC Dinner on 10/9/10

smlawrence

clicking on your link I notice the Meetup Group for the Triangle Area. Are you familiar with one in the Greensboro area or closely surrounding? I did some searching on there and had no luck with finding one.

smlawrence

Well ever since I got educated on my rights about OC'ing, this little flame inside me has grown larger wanting to participate more in meetups and educate more. I would of been at the rally held in Greensboro on Aug 14th but a car had ranover me on Friday Aug 13th while I was working so I was stuck in the hospital that day. I've handed out the flyers like they are candy and have told everyone who gives me the opportunity about why I carry my gun on my side. I can't explain why it has became so important to me as of late but it has. All it took was a conversation with a person who was carrying and then the information from all of the posts that I have read from this website and the internet to help me grow. I thank everyone who contributes to this site and I look forward to meeting some of you soon.

sultan62

Welcome, smlawrence!

I've only been OCing for a few months myself.

I hope everything has turned out well after your incident with the car.

smlawrence

Thanks for the welcome. It slowly is. After a week in the hospital and 2 surgeries on my left leg, they rebuilt my left ankle with 2 steel plates, 10 screws, and 2 pins. They are telling me I will be able to start putting weight on it the 2nd week in december and then the fun starts with physical therapy teaching it to walk again. But it doesn't slow me down, I can roll pretty good on my crutches. They clang everyonce and a while on my gun so I have to stop and adjust while walking but I'm getting used to it. But I feel it more important now to OC because I am on crutches and I want to hopefully deter someone who might try to take advantage of someone on crutches.

smlawrence

Have to thank my wife for that... She has her CCP and is damn good with a gun. I told the story on my profile but when I went for my Conceal Carry class during the shooting part all these guys were shooting with little 22 pistols and then it was my turn. I got up there with a 41magnum and the instructor said "finally a real gun". You should have heard all the laughing when I had to tell him it was my wifes gun...lol. For this years 3rd Anniversary she got me my XDm .40 and I got her the Taurus .380 she had been wanting. That proves love and guns mix...lol.

Last edited:

cricketdad

Thanks for the welcome. It slowly is. After a week in the hospital and 2 surgeries on my left leg, they rebuilt my left ankle with 2 steel plates, 10 screws, and 2 pins. They are telling me I will be able to start putting weight on it the 2nd week in december and then the fun starts with physical therapy teaching it to walk again. But it doesn't slow me down, I can roll pretty good on my crutches. They clang everyonce and a while on my gun so I have to stop and adjust while walking but I'm getting used to it. But I feel it more important now to OC because I am on crutches and I want to hopefully deter someone who might try to take advantage of someone on crutches.

Man are you lucky. An 18 year old, texting, hit my friend, buried him Monday. His wife had about the same work as you except on the right side.

As for you firearm, have you thought about carrying it just to the left of your belt buckle? Out of the way of the crutches and easy to get to.

smlawrence

Man are you lucky. An 18 year old, texting, hit my friend, buried him Monday. His wife had about the same work as you except on the right side.

As for you firearm, have you thought about carrying it just to the left of your belt buckle? Out of the way of the crutches and easy to get to.

I am sorry for your loss, I really hate that and will include it in my prayers. I will give that a shot on the left of my belt buckle...just might take time to get used to as I was already used to having something on my waste(phone).

farkles

Lawrence, we have not always used the meetup.com link to create our OC meetups in Greensboro (really we meet in Kernersville often).

We will post on here when we meet and probably will have another meeting in 2-3 weeks. Keep checking and being active in the message board and hopefully you will not miss us.

smlawrence

K'vegas is where I spend most of my time and where my wife works... Most of Kville know my wife who works at Farmers Feed & Seed. Ill be active and waiting for the next meet.

J_Oliver

well. I'm new to open carry as well. I actually don't own a handgun right this minute and thus cannot carry one (obviously). However, with the news that my wife and I are expecting a second child, I feel that it is my duty as a husband and father to be able to protect myself for my family's sake and protect my family for their sake as well. I'll be purchasing my first handgun beginning of the year if anyone has any suggestions, please PM me. I have plenty of experience with a gun and have taken the weapon retention, home and personal defense and tactical defense classes. I've also taken the CCW class just waiting to purchase my sidearm to put the rounds down the range for the license. I do however, in spite of the CCW, plan to carry openly 90% of the time. The CCW just gets rid of the hassle of the purchasing permit every time I plan on buying. My wife is also interested and I would really like her to open carry as well. She's enrolled in the above mentioned classes.

sultan62

J_Oliver, we can recommend different guns to you all day long, and most everyone here has got some knowledge on firearms. We also all tend to have different experience, so the better way to do this might be to decide on a few you think you like, and come back here and others can give you their impression of the gun from the point of having shot or owned it.

The most important two things are, IMO, how well you shoot the gun, and reliability. What have you shot in the past that you particularly liked?

cricketdad

well. I'm new to open carry as well. I actually don't own a handgun right this minute and thus cannot carry one (obviously). However, with the news that my wife and I are expecting a second child, I feel that it is my duty as a husband and father to be able to protect myself for my family's sake and protect my family for their sake as well. I'll be purchasing my first handgun beginning of the year if anyone has any suggestions, please PM me. I have plenty of experience with a gun and have taken the weapon retention, home and personal defense and tactical defense classes. I've also taken the CCW class just waiting to purchase my sidearm to put the rounds down the range for the license. I do however, in spite of the CCW, plan to carry openly 90% of the time. The CCW just gets rid of the hassle of the purchasing permit every time I plan on buying. My wife is also interested and I would really like her to open carry as well. She's enrolled in the above mentioned classes.

The best firearm for you is one that feels good in your hand, not uncomfortable on your hip (or chosen carry location) and one you can shoot accurately.

farkles

Oliver, please do keep checking for in a couple weeks we will likely do another "OC meetup" in K'ville/High Point area and you can come join us even though you will not be carrying. Great way to break into the group.

Maverick9110e

well i may not be going on my trip next week so put me in as a maybe. Depends on if i can make the 5 hour trip out, right now its not looking good. So if that doesn't fly i'll be at the dinner.

smlawrence

I can't make the Triangle but I'll definately be at the Kville/HP Dinner. Hopefully my Beautiful Wife will be joining me with her .357 or the new .380 I got her for our 3rd Anniversary tomorrow. Also my wife's cousin, since I'm rubbing off on him OC'ing everywhere we go. You should see the looks we get when we both walk in somewhere together with our hips packing...lol.