• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOIA filed for VA State Police Point of Contact (POC) Information

Thundar

Are you really shocked by this? They could have claimed a Security exemption to make It sound good. Your next move should be to the FOIA board.

To answer your question, I am not really shocked. The original agreement was 20 years ago. Maybe they just can't find the document.

No, I am not going "soft", I am just not yet ready to throw the VSP under the bus. They have always been very pro-gun in my dealings with them.

Not having the document could, of course, be a real issue for any future criminal prosecutions on gun transfer charges by VSP.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nearly every VSP request I send gets a half answer Citizen. One member requested information and they sent VSP logo's.:lol:

I understand.

I always recommend Mike's approach--formalize the request. And, quote and cite the exact Code provisions in the request and any follow-up necessitated by evasion on their part. This backs them into a corner and makes it harder for them if you take it to court for a writ of mandamus (a type of court order) to force them to comply.

I'm not sure if your hesitancy arises from wanting to play nice with VSP, but I'll throw this out there just in case: a state agent has seen tons of official and formal documents. Formalizing the FOI request won't adversely affect a genuinely professional agent. A genuine professional sincerely interested in public service will say to himself, "Hey, now. Here's somebody that knows their stuff and is exercising their First Amendment rights. Cool. I'm gonna do his first." Its hyperbole of course, but you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nearly every VSP request I send gets a half answer Citizen.

I understand.

I'm not sure if your hesitancy arises from wanting to play nice with VSP...........

Peter hesitant? Maybe devious, sly, circuitous; but can be direct, hard hitting and forthright, but never shy or fainthearted. What you see may not be half of what you get. :lol:

All American Nightmare

To answer your question, I am not really shocked. The original agreement was 20 years ago. Maybe they just can't find the document.

No, I am not going "soft", I am just not yet ready to throw the VSP under the bus. They have always been very pro-gun in my dealings with them.

Not having the document could, of course, be a real issue for any future criminal prosecutions on gun transfer charges by VSP.
There response smells like a cow pattie and buffalo chips mixed to form a poo pie.You tried playing nice take the gloves off.
I understand.

I always recommend Mike's approach--formalize the request. And, quote and cite the exact Code provisions in the request and any follow-up necessitated by evasion on their part. This backs them into a corner and makes it harder for them if you take it to court for a writ of mandamus (a type of court order) to force them to comply.

I'm not sure if your hesitancy arises from wanting to play nice with VSP, but I'll throw this out there just in case: a state agent has seen tons of official and formal documents. Formalizing the FOI request won't adversely affect a genuinely professional agent. A genuine professional sincerely interested in public service will say to himself, "Hey, now. Here's somebody that knows their stuff and is exercising their First Amendment rights. Cool. I'm gonna do his first." Its hyperbole of course, but you get what I mean.
I thought a FOIA was formal request?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There response smells like a cow pattie and buffalo chips mixed to form a poo pie.You tried playing nice take the gloves off.

I thought a FOIA was formal request?

It depends on how it's presented. Under the state policy and procedure, any communication submitted in writing is a formal request and any verbal communication is an informal request. Rule 5.4 if memory serves me.

You can make an FOIA request on the phone or in person...then stand around for 5 days:lol:

I used to have people come in and say, I want to look through the case files! I'd let them. The Director always bitched but he'd bitch about a rainy day during a drought.

Formalized or not, the law has no teeth and the VSP count on the fact that 99% of the people won't spend fifty bucks to get it in front of a Judge.

Now McDonnell wants to get rid of the FOIA Commission as part of his streamlining program.
That will make it even worse getting nonjudicial compliance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now McDonnell wants to get rid of the FOIA Commission as part of his streamlining program.
That will make it even worse getting nonjudicial compliance.

WHAT? No, no, NO!

Missed that one - was below the horizon.

FOIA Commission is probably one of (if not the) best state run operation with whom I have ever dealt. The listen/read and give straight forward, solid responses.

Cut the heat back in the GA Bldg and the Governor's Mansion - let them all wear sweaters like the rest of us, but do NOT get rid of the one state entity that truly supports transparency in Virginia.

Could there be more behind this? It's possible, yes? Wonder if the media is aware of this possibility - if not, they should be.

Last edited:

All American Nightmare

WHAT? No, no, NO!

Missed that one - was below the horizon.

FOIA Commission is probably one of (if not the) best state run operation with whom I have ever dealt. The listen/read and give straight forward, solid responses.

Cut the heat back in the GA Bldg and the Governor's Mansion - let them all wear sweaters like the rest of us, but do NOT get rid of the one state entity that truly supports transparency in Virginia.

Could there be more behind this? It's possible, yes? Wonder if the media is aware of this possibility - if not, they should be.
Hell if the VA State Police get any worse they will just respond with people in Hell want ice water.

Repeater

We need to take action on this!

Thank you for the Heads Up -- we would not have known otherwise.

Some in the media are already expressing opposition, for example:

Freedom of Information Council shouldn't be on the chopping block

Don't eliminate the FOIA council

Citizens may lose a valuable resource: FOI Advisory Council

Now, the group making this recommendation is:

Commission on Government Reform and Restructuring

The specific recommendations -- and the 'Rules of Engagement' are here (PDF).

Note the flows charts. Seems reasonable. However, go to page 10. This is their rationale:

Boards and Commission Elimination and Consolidation Recommendations Submitted for Consideration:

FOIA Advisory Council -- Statute already provides for attorney fees and OAG could issue official opinions if needed.

Translation: leave everything in the hands of the Attorney General. I can easily envision conflicts of interest involving the VSP or local PD's. Not a constructive recommendation.