• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Law Enforcement Member.

DeputySheriff

Hi everyone,

I am a Deputy in Mississippi and I am pro carry, Here are some of my opinions.

I feel everyone who can legally own a handgun should carry, either concealed or openly, as it is not my nor my departments responsibility to be your bodyguard. I also feel the constitution (which I am sworn to uphold) gives every citizen the right to openly carry a holstered handgun without a permit. This "partially concealed because of holster" is pure BS in my opinion.

I recommend to everyone who can get a permit to do so, but I definitely understand why some do not (time, money, privacy etc) and I respect that decision.
It just gives you more options like for some reason you want to cover your weapon, then you could legally do so without breaking the law.

I also believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse for officers or citizens.

Not all deputies share my opinions and I am not in a position to change anything, at-least not yet, all I can do is try to educate my fellow deputies as much as I can.

One thing I'd love to see is a FREE & OPTIONAL handgun training course - Probably a pipe dream, but I have seen some people do some very dangerous things with handguns, mainly in regards to muzzle discipline.

I do not like these so-called "Concealed-Carry" badges. They are not illegal, I just don't like them because they can easily be mistaken for a LEA badge, from what I've read, most on here feel the same way.

I will not reveal which agency I am involved with and kindly request that people respect this decision. If OCDO administration feels it is necessary, I will provide proof to them and them only but with restrictions that the information to be kept private.

Carry-on!

robbyw

Hi everyone,

I am a Deputy in Mississippi and I am pro carry, Here are some of my opinions.

I feel everyone who can legally own a handgun should carry, either concealed or openly, as it is not my nor my departments responsibility to be your bodyguard. I also feel the constitution (which I am sworn to uphold) gives every citizen the right to openly carry a holstered handgun without a permit. This "partially concealed because of holster" is pure BS in my opinion.

I recommend to everyone who can get a permit to do so, but I definitely understand why some do not (time, money, privacy etc) and I respect that decision.
It just gives you more options like for some reason you want to cover your weapon, then you could legally do so without breaking the law.

I also believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse for officers or citizens.

Not all deputies share my opinions and I am not in a position to change anything, at-least not yet, all I can do is try to educate my fellow deputies as much as I can.

One thing I'd love to see is a FREE & OPTIONAL handgun training course - Probably a pipe dream, but I have seen some people do some very dangerous things with handguns, mainly in regards to muzzle discipline.

I do not like these so-called "Concealed-Carry" badges. They are not illegal, I just don't like them because they can easily be mistaken for a LEA badge, from what I've read, most on here feel the same way.

I will not reveal which agency I am involved with and kindly request that people respect this decision. If OCDO administration feels it is necessary, I will provide proof to them and them only but with restrictions that the information to be kept private.

Carry-on!

Welcome to the sight.It is good to have law enforcement views on concealed or open carry.

DeputySheriff

Welcome aboard.
Wish there were more LEOs who shared your stated opinions.
So how long before you're in charge of the place & can make policy? :lol:

Thanks for the welcome guys (& gals).

Who knows when of if I would ever be able to change policy, or even if our policy needs changing, I do not know. But I can share my interpretation and opinions on the law to the deputies I associate with in regards to open and concealed carry of handguns.

ronmanci

Thanks for the welcome guys (& gals).

Who knows when of if I would ever be able to change policy, or even if our policy needs changing, I do not know. But I can share my interpretation and opinions on the law to the deputies I associate with in regards to open and concealed carry of handguns.

Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodgeing bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad:(

Last edited:

wylde007

What a lot of people get sick of is the mentality we sense from a lot of your brothers in blue that says "I am a cop. I know better than you."

YOU may not feel that way. Others may not feel that way. Some do. And they make our lives as citizens difficult - much more difficult than they need to be.

Good citizens - the very best and most patriotic citizens - detest and distrust authority, especially authority for authority's sake.

You represent that authority.

This is not a cop-bashing forum and the administration will not stand for direct attacks on any members for any reasons.

This forum is about the open exchange of ideas and experiences as they pertain directly to the lawful exercise of a sovereign right. If you are here to support, defend or otherwise propagate those rights then you are a welcome friend.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodgeing bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad:(

Oh, yes! All 24K forum members have sent private messages to this exaggerator, telling him he is hated just because he is a cop. His ideas and attitudes have nothing, nothing at all to do with any of the antagonism he's encountered. Neither did his argument style have anything to do with it.

He's just a poor little misunderstood victim of forum-wide, vicious, anti-cop bias.

Yet, somehow, cop members like Cato, Palerider, Sheriff, and ODA226 are respected members of the forum. Even statist-minded JohnnyLaw didn't stir up the hornets nest this exaggerator has.

Phffft.

Last edited:

ronmanci

Oh, yes! All 24K forum members have sent private messages to this exaggerator, telling him he is hated just because he is a cop. His ideas and attitudes have nothing, nothing at all to do with any of the antagonism he's encountered. Neither did his argument style have anything to do with it.

He's just a poor little misunderstood victim of forum-wide, vicious, anti-cop bias.

Yet, somehow, cop members like Cato, Palerider, Sheriff, and ODA226 are respected members of the forum. Even statist-minded JohnnyLaw didn't stir up the hornets nest this exaggerator has.

Phffft.

I didn't say all 24,000 people. I wouldn't exaggerate like that. But if anyone would like to see how I have been welcomed. Feel free to read the thread I joined in "Washington". "LEO issues" Judge for yourself. Read it from the beginning and tell me how cordial it is. Maybe I got involve with the wrong bunch, who knows. I only joined a couple of days ago and have had mostly, resistance. Not all. Sorry, but it's truley what I have experienced here. I want to enjoy it, believe me. I agree with the issues at hand. And by the way, your very sarcastic.

AFPVet

Just so you know, I agree with 95% of the views and opinions on this forum, but I am still attacked 100% of the time, for being a Police Officer. And that reason only. I've been told many times, just today, "I hate the police". I can tell someone that I agree with them and they respond, yea but your opinion is no good because your a cop. It's a shame because we could be a big help. I am starting to think this is a cop bashing forum, instead of a pro-gun forum. I was really hoping to join a forum where I can share my experiences and also learn a little something. Instead I'm dodging bullets every time I tell someone I'm a LEO. Too bad, so sad:(

As you can see, I am not ashamed to wear my shield from the old days. I am proud to do what I did as military law enforcement—and for a short time as a reserve deputy. I think that most of the 'bashing' comes from people who just do not know any better than to generalize and prejudge.

Honestly, I didn't think that you would find too many on this forum who would be prejudice towards law enforcement :confused:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I didn't say all 24,000 people. I wouldn't exaggerate like that.

Nice evasion, Ron. The figure was hyperbolic. The point was that you generalized against the forum, making no distinction between members. "...[T]his is a cop-bashing forum...", you said. Necessarily including a large majority of members, and sliming not only a large number of members, but the founders, too.

But, your little tactic of trying to weasel out of it by treating hyperbole as literal is noted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
As you can see, I am not ashamed to wear my shield from the old days. I am proud to do what I did as military law enforcement—and for a short time as a reserve deputy. I think that most of the 'bashing' comes from people who just do not know any better than to generalize and prejudge.

Honestly, I didn't think that you would find too many on this forum who would be prejudice towards law enforcement :confused:

If there is any cop-bashing on this forum, the volume is nearly inconsequential. It gets slapped down fast; it is not tolerated.

Please do not validate misconceptions or exaggerations like this.

Please distinguish between legitimate criticism of individual misbehaving cops or the class of cops who misbehave and generalized anti-cop commentary.

AFPVet

If there is any cop-bashing on this forum, the volume is nearly inconsequential. It gets slapped down fast; it is not tolerated.

Please distinguish between legitimate criticism of individual misbehaving cops or the class of cops who misbehave and generalized anti-cop commentary.

Exactly my point.

ronmanci

Nice evasion, Ron. The figure was hyperbolic. The point was that you generalized against the forum, making no distinction between members. "...[T]his is a cop-bashing forum...", you said. Necessarily including a large majority of members, and sliming not only a large number of members, but the founders, too.

But, your little tactic of trying to weasel out of it by treating hyperbole as literal is noted.

The founders should do a better job containing its members attacks.

ronmanci

Your the ring leader! A real rebel rouser.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Excuse me DeputySheriff. No disrespect intended to your thread; but, a cop has made a personal attack that warrants reply.

ronmanci

I didn't either. It has come as a complete shock. After tonight, I will not be back, and I will share my experience on this forum, with my LE friends, the other foums and my twitter account. I don't think this represents the majority. Seems like a fanatical site with a lot of Wako, TX like members. I don't want to be associated with anyone that doesn't want to be associated with me anyway.

CharleyMarbles

I didn't either. It has come as a complete shock. After tonight, I will not be back, and I will share my experience on this forum, with my LE friends, the other foums and my twitter account. I don't think this represents the majority. Seems like a fanatical site with a lot of Wako, TX like members. I don't want to be associated with anyone that doesn't want to be associated with me anyway.

Sorry to hear you won't be sticking around :( Some of us appreciate the LEO perspective even if we don't agree. I for one like to get as much informational data as I can to better asess the merits of a particular issue. That's not to say I will agree with all of them but it is the best way to formulate ANY meaningful oppinion.

I hope you stick around but if you don't I wish you well :)