• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Called my Represenative regarding Open Carry

JC_Biggs

talked to the secretary

I informed them of incidents of people being stopped while open carrying. I told him about the case law precedents that stated a cop couldn't detain you for JUST open carrying, but that they were still doing it. while there is case precdent, there is no STATUTE. after a little more discussion, they decided that my point was relevant and i should be getting a call back.. soo, can you guys help me out with talking points? case laws, facts figures, encounters gone bad, cases that were won by our side, etc etc.. also supposedly there is a law in kentucky not allowing a leo to disarm you unless you have commited a crime i cant find it, but if any of you know, that would help as well..

Last edited:

smlawrence

Please Please don't take this the wrong way as I applaud what you are doing, but I think I would recommend having your facts and information prior to making a phonecall to discuss those facts and information. Good luck as I don't know the information you are looking for.

Smith45acp

You can definitely find all that in the archives here. I would have to look for it too

Spearhead

talked to the secretary

I informed them of incidents of people being stopped while open carrying. I told him about the case law precedents that stated a cop couldn't detain you for JUST open carrying, but that they were still doing it. while there is case precdent, there is no STATUTE. after a little more discussion, they decided that my point was relevant and i should be getting a call back.. soo, can you guys help me out with talking points? case laws, facts figures, encounters gone bad, cases that were won by our side, etc etc.. also supposedly there is a law in kentucky not allowing a leo to disarm you unless you have commited a crime i cant find it, but if any of you know, that would help as well..

Just asking, what are your goals with this?
What you are describing is very broad. Are you addressing the practice in general or are you complaining about specific incidents?
Its been my experience that you really just get patronized when calling them to explain to them what the law is.

JC_Biggs

nothing other than to make him "aware" of the situations that some open carriers face, and the improper use of gatttotp, and we also discussed the kentucky laws. i have a very pro2a rep. Hes a really good guy, and if there is a legitamate issue, he will try and do somethign about it. hence having my neighborhood de-annexed..he is making it happen when no one else wanted to try.