• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL/CCW badge, legal? Or not.

MikeTheGreek

I know it's a stupid idea to have any type of badge while carrying, and some argue it's impersonation of a police officer. I would never do it personally, but somebody asked me if if was legal in Michigan.

He lives in a different state (Can't remember which one) and has one on his belt right next to his holster.

Anybody know the laws in Michigan about badges on civilians?

Alude904

It might be required by law. Im in florida and theyre are trying to pass an oc bill for us and for a while it was amended to require the exact same thing your friend does. A lvl 2 retention holster with your cwl in a plastic sleeve on or next to your holster. Of course that was immediately throw out because of how stupid it was.

MikeTheGreek

It might be required by law. Im in florida and theyre are trying to pass an oc bill for us and for a while it was amended to require the exact same thing your friend does. A lvl 2 retention holster with your cwl in a plastic sleeve on or next to your holster. Of course that was immediately throw out because of how stupid it was.

Yeah, that's retarded. He lives in VA, I guess he open carrys with his CCW/CPL badge. I think it's an extremely bad Idea, and have never seen it in Michigan. Tried to check google to see if it was legal, but couldn't find anything on it.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I know it's a stupid idea to have any type of badge while carrying, and some argue it's impersonation of a police officer. I would never do it personally, but somebody asked me if if was legal in Michigan.

He lives in a different state (Can't remember which one) and has one on his belt right next to his holster.

Doing this would eventually get an OCer jammed up by a (anti 2A / OC cop). I know of one instance where a guy wore cap [no weapon non OC/CC] (black knit) that said police on it in white letters (it was in reference to the 80's band he said) and ended up in court because an officer saw him in a gas station & didn't like what he saw.

The closest thing I've seen here is a gal that wears her blue CPL card in a clear holder by her pistol. I do not agree with this as it opens the door to 4th amendment violations by the Police. Also should it get lost during a life & death situation the potential is there for the Bad Guys to have access to info. about you they shouldn't.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Doing this would eventually get an OCer jammed up by a (anti 2A / OC cop). I know of one instance where a guy wore cap [no weapon non OC/CC] (black knit) that said police on it in white letters (it was in reference to the 80's band he said) and ended up in court because an officer saw him in a gas station & didn't like what he saw.

Okay..now that's retarded. I probably would have filed a complaint and had that cop fired. Tons of people wear police/fbi hats and shirts, i don't i have a problem with it. Unless he was OC'ing and had the cap on, MAYBE id think it was stupid, but as for taking him to court? come on, that's ridiculous!

DanM

I know it's a stupid idea to have any type of badge while carrying . . .

I don't know, and I don't care. Carrying a badge, if not required by your profession, is über retarded.

So what if it's legal? It's legal to wear your skid-marked underwear outside your pants. Tell your friend to stop being such a schmuck.

Friends don't let friends be stupid.

PracticalTactical

It's illegal in New Mexico. Not sure why it's legal elsewhere. Either way it's retarded....scratch that I'm insulting the intelligence of retarded people. It's just plain stupid. Dumb as hell.

If somebody wants a badge they need to join the reserves or auxiliaries.

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

stainless1911

Banned
Could it be considered brandishing? It would be drawing attension to the fact that you are carrying. This was a concern while discussing T-shirts that say "I have a gun" or something similar like an LED on the holster.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Could it be considered brandishing? It would be drawing attension to the fact that you are carrying. This was a concern while discussing T-shirts that say "I have a gun" or something similar like an LED on the holster.

Highly doubt it, Michigan Open Carry sells shirts with arrows pointing to your hip that say "Nothing to hide" Which would also draw attention to your firearm.

The only thing I think they could possibly charge you with would be impersonating a police officer or government official.

Onnie

I have a shirt I bought in Thailand a 9 years ago

in big florescent yellow-green letters it says FBI
then under it says in smaller letters FINEST BAR IN THAILAND
with a silhouette of a woman next to it

I have worn this shirt 100's of times without any issues but one.

I was in a bank doing some business and a woman came up to me all hysterical yelling "officer, officer, can you help me please"

I told her Im sorry but I not a police office

she blurted out something like why would I wear a shirt like that if I was not a cop

because I like the darn shirt!!!!!

BUT, I wont wear it when I am OCing.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I have a shirt I bought in Thailand a 9 years ago

in big florescent yellow-green letters it says FBI
then under it says in smaller letters FINEST BAR IN THAILAND
with a silhouette of a woman next to it

I have worn this shirt 100's of times without any issues but one.

I was in a bank doing some business and a woman came up to me all hysterical yelling "officer, officer, can you help me please"

I told her Im sorry but I not a police office

she blurted out something like why would I wear a shirt like that if I was not a cop

because I like the darn shirt!!!!!

BUT, I wont wear it when I am OCing.

I have a Michigan Sheriff's Association hat that I will only wear while cc, not oc. But, since I very rarely cc anymore, the hat stays on the shelf.

HKcarrier

CCW sash!??! OH man.... my co-workers all think I"m weird now because of the styfled laughter coming from my office.... it might be worth it to have one just for the lolz...

Walt_Kowalski

Yeah, that's retarded. He lives in VA, I guess he open carrys with his CCW/CPL badge. I think it's an extremely bad Idea, and have never seen it in Michigan. Tried to check google to see if it was legal, but couldn't find anything on it.

In VA? This is one of THE MOST OC FRIENDLY states in the union. If I saw him OCing, with a CCW/CPL/CHP/ETC badge I'd point and laugh.

Oh.. that the Sashes ROCK. LOL at the "Armed" one

the500kid

ccw sash

For those of you that don't read the gun magazines. The bright green CCW sash was actually recomened (in a reputable gun magazine) gear so as not to be shot by police when they show up. The article was a little unclear on which order you put it on.
Shoot bad guy, call cops, put on CCW sash.
put on ccw sash, call cops, shoot bad guy.
put on sash, shoot bad guy, call cops.
you get the idea.