• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this in bad taste

dashowdy

My daughters turning 2 here in late april and me and my old lady were planning on doing the party at a chic-fil-a because last year we did it our house and it was a fiasco. Would it be in bad form to OC while around other people and children in a scenario like this, my fiancee, my family and hers dont really care but I am not to sure about the other people who are coming. I am taking my Chp class on the 24 th so maybe I will have my permit back by then but if I dont I really dont want to leave my gun in the car.

ArmySoldier22

Personally, I'd carry. You're not at any of their homes, you're in a restaurant, and that makes a difference. If I was going to somebody's home I didn't know, then I might decide to not do so out of courtesy, but any public place or any restaurant "that you can carry in" is fair game to me, no matter who's going to be there. Another deciding factor would be the fact that you guys are the ones throwing the party. To me, that puts the ball in your court on the issue.

Btw, good luck on getting your CHP in a timely manner. I just called to schedule an appointment with the sheriffs office yesterday, just to go in and apply, and that's not even going to be until May 4th... So I should see mine in August :cry:. Hopefully it'll be better out in your area.

Last edited:

aosailor

You are hosting the party, its your family and more importantly your daughter that your tool is protecting. If your guests have issue with it, they don't have to attend.

Yeah I'm a douche and have lost friends over me refusing to not carry in public. The way I see it, I can make new friends I only get 1 chance at this living stuff

Medic1210

This is the wrong forum if you're looking for any unbiased responses. Just sayin. I think the fact you're even pondering the question means you already know how it will likely be viewed by the folks attending, so only you can decide whether that's something you're comfortable with.

WOD

I tipped a buddy about a 3 screw Ruger I saw posted online, and he made the contacts, and asked me if I'd ride along. So, a couple weekends ago, we drove over to eastern WA, to take a look at it. I, of course, was armed (partially why I was asked along) and when we arrived, the seller was standing outside of his door. My friend exited the vehicle, and I stayed put for a minute watching the seller. My friend waved me over, and I'm certain the seller noticed me packing, but didn't make an issue out of it. My friend checked over the Ruger, and laid out the cash, and we were on our way.

That did get me thinking about a private citizen and their rights as property owners, and how it can and will determine my ability to carry. My ex-wife is not very gun friendly, but my daughter currently resides there. I'm not sure if her current husband is anti or not, so I'm sure I will have to address this the next time I visit. The last time I visited I wasn't a handgun owner, nor did I have my CPL, so I can't say whether or not I would have been welcomed into their home armed.

So, here's what I decided to do the next time I go there. As I am on friendly terms with my ex and her husband, I'll simply inform them before I enter, and ask them if it is OK. If yes, then I go about my visit normally. If no, I'll return to my car and lock the gun up, or ask them if I can still bring it in, but take it off my person for the duration I'm there. If it comes down to anything major problem-wise for them, I can always just meet my doughtier elsewhere, or remove my weapon before entering their home. To me, it's no big deal either way, but I'd rather not have the weapon out of my sight, or leave it in a vehicle.

Now, at a strangers or acquaintances home setting, I'll ask first and do what they feel comfortable with. I have a feeling I might end up buying a gun safe for the car, just for my own piece of mind.

I encourage you to Open Carry at your party though, you have the right to defend yourself and your family, and you might win over some on-the-fencers, or not, or find some new gun buddies!

rotorhead

My daughters turning 2 here in late april and me and my old lady were planning on doing the party at a chic-fil-a because last year we did it our house and it was a fiasco. Would it be in bad form to OC while around other people and children in a scenario like this, my fiancee, my family and hers dont really care but I am not to sure about the other people who are coming. I am taking my Chp class on the 24 th so maybe I will have my permit back by then but if I dont I really dont want to leave my gun in the car.

Simply put, why is it that you carry in the first place?

If you can be assured that none of the scenarios for which you carry will happen at that party, then you'll be good to go by leaving it in the car.

If you cannot be assured of those things, then your answer is to carry. Social stigma should never be a consideration when evaluating whether or not you should carry. But, if it's a concern for you, you may want to bring it up to some of the other parents in a gentle way, such as "I picked this restaurant because they allow for the carrying of my gun that I always have with me".

That will introduce them to the idea that you carry, and can then decide if they want their kids there or not.

dashowdy

armysoldier22 I have heard about the hanus process law abiding citizens go through in mecklenburg county, the sheriff seriously needs to be removed from office there. I live in wake so sheriff harrison is good about getting it too you quickly, I have heard as fast as two weeks.

I am going to carry because it is in a exposed public place where my families safety is my first and foremost concern, you guys are exactly right. I am going to a birthday party for my fiancees cousin this weekend and I am going to carry if I cant then I will say happy birthday and will go pick her and my daughter up later. It will give me an excuse to go to the gunshop anyways. Her Aunt is very pro-gun I think but her other one is not and has asked me to leave my firearm in the car, needless to say I will not be back there again. I never make me carrying a firearm about other peoples comfort level only my own and honestly I feel stark naked without it.

PistolPackingMomma

Simply put, why is it that you carry in the first place?

If you can be assured that none of the scenarios for which you carry will happen at that party, then you'll be good to go by leaving it in the car.

If you cannot be assured of those things, then your answer is to carry. Social stigma should never be a consideration when evaluating whether or not you should carry. But, if it's a concern for you, you may want to bring it up to some of the other parents in a gentle way, such as "I picked this restaurant because they allow for the carrying of my gun that I always have with me".

That will introduce them to the idea that you carry, and can then decide if they want their kids there or not.

This, plus...It's only in bad taste if your holster doesn't match your shoes :lol:

The Airframer

...you guys are the ones throwing the party. To me, that puts the ball in your court on the issue.

Btw, good luck on getting your CHP in a timely manner.

I totally agree with AS22. There's no way i would leave it in the car(assuming said chik-fil-a allows OC), especially at a party I was hosting. There's so many places I'm not allowed to carry that I often find myself going out of my way to carry when I can. I wish my base had an armory nearby outside the gates like i've heard some bases have, this would enable me to carry a bit more than I do! Applied for my CC about 3 weeks ago, check the mail everyday in anticipation...

Rotorhead also asked: "Simply put, why is it that you carry in the first place?
If you can be assured that none of the scenarios for which you carry will happen at that party, then you'll be good to go by leaving it in the car."

I don't carry expecting OK Corral or the zombie apocalypse to fallout, I carry simply because its my right to carry.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

When it comes to esthetic preferences as taste, if one has doubt then leave it out. Doubt is ones conscience whispering (and it is only a whisper that is easily ignored).

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Last year I attended a kid's birthday party at a local Chic-Fil-A in Greensboro. I OC'd my 5" 1911 without incident. I barely knew anyone there - it was a party for one of my wife's coworker's kids. I even went in the playground area with my then 2-yr old. Carry a recorder (just in case), and carry on :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Would it be in bad taste for a uniformed police officer to attend? The answer is the same as the one to your question.

11B2O

Personally, I'd carry. You're not at any of their homes, you're in a restaurant, and that makes a difference. If I was going to somebody's home I didn't know, then I might decide to not do so out of courtesy, but any public place or any restaurant "that you can carry in" is fair game to me, no matter who's going to be there. Another deciding factor would be the fact that you guys are the ones throwing the party. To me, that puts the ball in your court on the issue.

Btw, good luck on getting your CHP in a timely manner. I just called to schedule an appointment with the sheriffs office yesterday, just to go in and apply, and that's not even going to be until May 4th... So I should see mine in August :cry:. Hopefully it'll be better out in your area.

I live in Guilford County and put in my paperwork on Feb 1. Have yet to hear back from them.

jag06

I live in Guilford County and put in my paperwork on Feb 1. Have yet to hear back from them.

That's Barnes for ya. I live just into Forsyth, got the call in around 3 weeks or less. As much as I really do not like our sheriff, they get the permits out fast, and we have good deputies.

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, its your party for your kid. Carry to protect your family, that the whole reason you have a gun right?

ArmySoldier22

Wish I lived where you guys do. A month and a half wait before I can even apply is ridiculous. Hopefully the actual process is quicker

lannie

Dashhowdy,
Did you have a problem when you attended our TOC Meetup in Raleigh, Knighdale or Clayon.
Most people won't notice and the ones who do "SO WHAT". Protect your family, they come first.

Lannie (TOC Event Organizer)

Last edited:

drew9

I called CharMeck a few days ago, and my appointment is scheduled for the 9th of April. i will keep everyone posted on how quick it actually is.

Dreamer

Being a responsible father and husband, and taking responsible precautions for the safety of your family, friends and guests is NEVER in bad taste.

Anyone who would consider taking personal responsibility for protecting the lives of your family members to be in "bad taste" is a sick, sick individual, and probably isn't a genuine friend, because they put their own fears, prejudices and paranoia above your own personal safety and that of your loved ones.

Carry on...