• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Town requires my credentials to teach?!

Leverdude

I think one thing that would help this issue more than any single instructor putting there creds on the course completion form is the flippin nra actually informing the folks signing up to be teachers of the laws in this state and each state they offer the classes to become an "NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR". If all the nra instructors knew the law and taught the law we would have a much different class of permit holders in this state. More people would feel comfortable exercising the rkba in this state the way we can and more people would exercise there rights when it comes to authorities and there obtuse demands to scare the uneducated people.

This is in know way meant to discredit the teachers/instructors on this site. You are the exception to this statement. I wish my instructor had taught me the things I have learned from this and other gun sites in the last couple years.

Its a basic pistol cpourse, not a legal studies course. The purpose of the course is to teach a student to safely & responsibly handle & shoot a pistol, nothing more.
I do if asked mention things I know to be true regarding carry in this state but am under no responsability to do so. theres a big difference between firearms instruction and legal advice.

stacks04

Its a basic pistol cpourse, not a legal studies course. The purpose of the course is to teach a student to safely & responsibly handle & shoot a pistol, nothing more.
I do if asked mention things I know to be true regarding carry in this state but am under no responsability to do so. theres a big difference between firearms instruction and legal advice.

You missed the point I was trying to make. I fully understand that it is a firearms safety course, but you guys have a direct impact on people getting the permit they are after. I dont think it is any where near offering legal advice to inform the people that nothing but the money and safety course is required as paperwork to get the locals to sign off on the fingerprints and the local part of the permit process.

Like I stated before, it is the persons own responsibility to learn the laws of there own state regarding firearms and how they intend to use them, not the safety instructors, but since some of you instructors are being forced to offer more certification it is also affecting you guys that the locals are stepping over the line. The more people know about the laws and the permit process here the better they are and the more pressure that people will put on the locals to come back to reality and step off their proverbial high horse.

dcmdon

Stacks,
I agree with you.

To me its a customer service issue. I am ethically bound to provide the students with enough information and skill to go out and safely improve their skills on their own. In the aviation world a private pilot, single engine land certificate is called a "license to learn" for just that reason.

However, I Choose to also provide a service that facilitates getting the form filled out. It can be a scary proposition to a new shooter applicant. Five minutes of my time may save him an hour of angst. So I sit down with applicants and we fill out the form together. Its no big deal.

I also use a check list I got from a local PD that does a great job of making sure nothing is forgotten as far as checks, signatures, etc.

Don

Last edited:

dcmdon

Thats cool Don, I was going say that this could be a niche market for someone with some time, a permit process course:)

Its only 10 minutes extra, at most.
I also suspect that for those I help do the form there is a greater chance they will actually put an application in.

Don

brk913

I take 15-20 minutes during class to discuss the permit process with my students, I let them know about issues they may encounter and overall just point them in the right direction to complette this process. It is just the right thing to do to help a "new shooter" get involved in the sport.

Leverdude

Thats all good stuff guys & you are correct that we owe it to our students to be as helpfull as possible in their pursuit of a permit.
But the NRA can not be expected to supply us with this info that we are only just discovering ourselves.
Hell I think they still call us a "shall issue" state. Its our job because its the right thing to do, but its not a requirement of an NRA firearms saftey instructor. I'm also a rifle instructor, the basic rifle course is almost a parallel to the basic pistol course, the objectives are the same although the incentive is different. My main objective is to have a student leave with the knowledge & ability to handle & use firearms safely. That is what I was trained to do & what the NRA's course is intended to do. They cannot be expected to know which states toss up roadblocks, especially illegal ones at random.
We sometimes forget that a permit is NOT the only reason a person might seek instruction in the use of firearms.
One of our problems in this state IMO is EVERYBODY needs a permit, even if they only intend to shoot tin cans in the back forty. When those people come to take the course they could care less about OC vs CC ect, they just want to be able to plink. Or now that we can hunt deer with revolvers I expect to find more people primarilly interested in hunting rather than defensive carry. I'd counsel a hunter on his subject of interest to the best of my ability as well as the tin can shooter, but I am not required to do so by the NRA and should not be.
Theres a multitude of reasons people take the course and since it cannot be catered to each individuals needs or desires it doesn't delve deeply into them. Its called a "Basic pistol" course because thats what it is.
Also laws constantly change, in order to be effective the NRA would need to re-certify every instructor every time there was a law change. We, as instructors need to be helpfull to the best of our ability, but ultimately its up to the student/potential gun owner to find out whats legal & whats not.

Last edited: