• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rugers new 1911 . finally a high quality affordable 45 ACP - 1911 on the Market.

protias

Fletcher Arms in Waukesha has a Ruger Day on May 16 from 4-8. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Trip20

Is it high quality? I read people complaining that it's all pot metal blah blah blah.

I personally like Ruger so I'm hoping it's a good piece. I need my first 1911!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Is it high quality? I read people complaining that it's all pot metal blah blah blah.

I am sure it is made of the same high quality metal they use in all their firearms , I owned a P90 & a P95 they were both well made handguns . If I buy one of these I will have it dura coated as I am not a big fan of high visibility stainless guns.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

I am sure it is made of the same high quality metal they use in all their firearms , I owned a P90 & a P95 they were both well made handguns . If I buy one of these I will have it dura coated as I am not a big fan of high visibility stainless guns.

If it's like the P89 I've got, it's more a satin finish and, surprisingly, not all that highly visible. From what I am seeing in the picture, a good holster will cover most of the more visible parts.

Btw, I would not trade my P89 for anything. I've had it since 1992 and it has yet to malfunction in any way. If this 1911 is as good, it will be one fine pistol.

j4l

Ruger uses-or used (not sure if still the same process) investment casting-as did Taurus.
Dont hear too many complaints of broken RUGERS do you? (but a ton of un-documented Taurus breaks..go figure.)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Finally? Taurus PT1911(AR) was here first. Quitcherbitchinbouttaurus. :p

Besides, Ruger supports and promotes gun control. Sold my P89.

Last edited:

Dreamer

The Para Ordnance GI Expert in stainless can often be had for well under $600, and is all-steel, and it's been out for nearly 3 years...

Just sayin'...

Michigander

The Para Ordnance GI Expert in stainless can often be had for well under $600, and is all-steel, and it's been out for nearly 3 years...

Just sayin'...

A company called ATI imports 1911's made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing which according to Small Arms review and several friends are of comparable quality to Kimbers, but cost under 600 dollars for the MSRP, and a hell of a lot less if you have a good FFL hook up.

Michigander

A truly high quality 1911 which will last a lifetime of shooting, say 250 rounds per week for 50 years, this requires a very well made slide and frame with most, if not all the components machined from solid steel. This quality is the sort of thing you can get from a gun manufacturer such as Ed Brown. 2 grand is on the low end.

For most of us who have neither the time or money to shoot this much, and also may lack the 2 grand to dump on a handgun, almost ANY of the entry level 1911's will work well for carry and target practice, particularly after reliability work by a smith. Plus do keep in mind that if a cheaper part ever fails, you can either send it back to the factory, or replace it yourself with a better one. It's not an issue to worry about.

Batousaii

Sweet -- ATI ! - i prefer nVidia though.

A company called ATI imports 1911's....<snip>...
I want the ATI Rage superclocked edition 1911. Maybe run them in crossfire since two is always better than one.
- You think nVidia will come out with a 1911? I bet a watercooled superclocked pair of 1911s in SLI configuration would be uber leet!

- LoL - my bad, just a little leet nerd joking for those that get it.

:dude: Bat

Last edited:

Dreamer

A company called ATI imports 1911's made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing which according to Small Arms review and several friends are of comparable quality to Kimbers, but cost under 600 dollars for the MSRP, and a hell of a lot less if you have a good FFL hook up.

If their 1911's are anything like their .308/Nato 7.62 ammo, I wouldn't touch them. I've wasted more money on ATI ammo for my CETME than I care to admit--the stuff has a "dud rate" of about 10%...

Last edited:

protias

It shot pretty well. It definitely has less recoil than my XD45. I've not shot very many 1911s, so I cannot compare it to them. The price was going for ~700, so for my first 1911, I'll probably look for something else.

Michigander

If their 1911's are anything like their .308/Nato 7.62 ammo, I wouldn't touch them. I've wasted more money on ATI ammo for my CETME than I care to admit--the stuff has a "dud rate" of about 10%...

My understanding is that ATI is, as its name implies, an importing company, which buys and imports, not manufactures, the SAM guns. If everything I have heard from multiple sources is true, including a very trusted friend with famil connections to the company, the SAM guns are extremely good. Any other details about the company, other than SAM guns, are outside of my scope of knowledge and experience.

carsontech

Activist Member
From my research before I bought my Rock Island Armory 1911:

ATI, RIA, Citidal, High Standard, possibly more, import 1911s from the Philippines, which are manufactured by Armscor.

My RIA Compact 1911 rocked, especially for the price, and the features.

This new Ruger 1911 looks great and has a good price. I wouldn't mind owning one.

Last edited:

silver

I want the ATI Rage superclocked edition 1911. Maybe run them in crossfire since two is always better than one.
- You think nVidia will come out with a 1911? I bet a watercooled superclocked pair of 1911s in SLI configuration would be uber leet!

- LoL - my bad, just a little leet nerd joking for those that get it.

:dude: Bat

lol epic! might be a while on the 1900 series tho..whats out right now 600 series? 700 series? ;) just one question...where are you going to mount the water tank? in holster or out?:banana:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
A truly high quality 1911 which will last a lifetime of shooting, say 250 rounds per week for 50 years, this requires a very well made slide and frame with most, if not all the components machined from solid steel. This quality is the sort of thing you can get from a gun manufacturer such as Ed Brown. 2 grand is on the low end.

For most of us who have neither the time or money to shoot this much, and also may lack the 2 grand to dump on a handgun, almost ANY of the entry level 1911's will work well for carry and target practice, particularly after reliability work by a smith. Plus do keep in mind that if a cheaper part ever fails, you can either send it back to the factory, or replace it yourself with a better one. It's not an issue to worry about.

250*7*52*50 = 4550000. If you had a 1911 that would last 4,550,000 rounds (250*7*52*50)... at thirty cents a round, that would be about $1,365,000 worth of ammunition. With that much money you could buy 1,950 $700 1911s, or 682 $2000 1911s.

Last edited: