• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ninth Circus Appeals court: Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional, AP/G00gle

eye95

five-

The point is that lying is not protected. Therefore, if the government has a compelling interest, it may criminalize lying. Perjury and fraud are clearly compelling reasons. I would contend that diminishing the value of service, medals, awards, and decorations by rampant false claims of such is a compelling reason also.

Deanimator

Lying in and of itself does not seem to be unconstitutional. It is only when coupled with the intent to commit fraud or perjury that it truly becomes unlawful.
"Perjury" is typically understood to mean lying while under oath. You don't have to be under oath to be prosecuted for lying to LEOs during an investigation. I'm pretty sure that neither Stewart nor Blagojevic were.

slowfiveoh

five-

The point is that lying is not protected. Therefore, if the government has a compelling interest, it may criminalize lying. Perjury and fraud are clearly compelling reasons. I would contend that diminishing the value of service, medals, awards, and decorations by rampant false claims of such is a compelling reason also.

I understand what you guys are getting at.

I am simply noticing a disconnect between a lie, and potential impact of said lie.

I would think it would be a good read to see whatever the dissenting justice was referring to as prior cases speciying that a lie, in and of itself, with no specific impact, is worthy of indictment.

In regards to this particular subject I can't help being a bit emotive in response.

Hang em, and hang em high.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm against making "stealing valor" illegal. I agree with the posters who say it is bad, but should not be illegal.

The government has too much power already.

Simple exposure is enough. We mere civilians can solve this sort of thing, one case at a time, as each case arises and is discovered.