• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting rent-a-cop encounter

Kingfish

he was at a gas station...probably an air pump 100ft away...
And there would be no damage to any components driving on flat tires 100ft? I sure as hell would not drive any distance on a totally flat tire.

ETA: And not all gas stations have air, very very few have free air.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Somehow deflating tires does NOT fit into a desired image, regardless of the other person's infraction.

No question, but that some violation of the law would exist; hence violation of rules here.
This is neither OC or RKBA related.

SavageOne

Somehow deflating tires does NOT fit into a desired image, regardless of the other person's infraction.

No question, but that some violation of the law would exist; hence violation of rules here.

And thus in the Social Lounge. Can you cite a law it would violate, per rule 5? Also, if you're so worried about topics that have nothing to do with OC, you might want to look in the News section, for one about an openly carried Pitch Fork. I believe the rules of this site say it's for the open carry of handguns, not long forks.:)

Blk97F150

About 5 years ago I had a similar encounter with an off duty LEO. It was raining pretty hard and I was standing under the overhang in front of a gas station drinking a soda. A guy pulls in and parks in the handicap spot directly in front of me. As he walks past towards the doors, I point out that he is parked in a handicap spot. He replied "I'm allowed". I said "You don't have a permit".... he pointed to his FOP license plate (Fraternal Order of Police) and said "I don't need one"....and kept walking.

I wish I had a recorder at the time... it definitely would have been 'a YouTube moment'....

Sc0tt

Give them a badge and a uniform and they get all special inside. The 'only ones' attitude.
:banghead:
I just want to go out and say having worked both private security and contract security as a government contractor that broad and vague statements like this are insulting.
Yes there are some real super douches out there who get little boners ever time they put thier uniform on and get to tell someone what to do, but the statement hardly applies to everyone in the private security field. Personally I refuse to wear my uniform from either security company I work for in public.

Sc0tt

What irritates the hell out of me as much as people parking in handicap spots is people who park in the fire lane at the very front of the store. I ran a call once on a 17 yo who walked between two cars parked in a fire lane at a walmart and was struck by an armored van. (DOA)

I was at walmart this winter it was 41 degrees and there is a car without plackards in a handicap spot with 2 kids in it. I come back out 20 mins later it is still there not running and the mother is no where to be found. I called the police out and she leaves right before I get there the responding officer was more concerned about my firearms than taking a report.

papa bear

one of my biggest pet peeve in the world is people who park in handicap, when they don't need to (really some of the fat ones need to park further away)

however, your statement of "loser rent-a-cop", i was wondering if you meant to call this individual a loser or "rent-a-cops" losers?
anybody that is trying to do a legitimate job deserves our respect.

:cool:

since9

Campaign Veteran
So I stop at the gas Station so my Roomie can grab a pack of cigs (gross).

A convertible Chrysler Sebring (black top, silver/blue-ish paint) pulls up on top of the marked walkway, across a handicapped space. No handicapped flag/sticker. This gets my attention. I whip out the ol' 720p video smartphone. Before I can get the video rolling, out jumps a rent-a-cop and he runs inside. Video is now rolling. Note, I didn't know or care who it was, this fact came AFTER I decide to document this crass behavior.

Rent-a-cop notices I'm pointing video at his car. Comes out, gets in my face, doesn't say anything. Just up in my face trying to block my view of his car. His staggering intellect then realizes that his fat pimply face has now been captured in all it's HD glory, not just his car. Goes back inside.

Roomie comes back out, gets in car. As I back out of the space and prepare to leave, rent-a-cop dashes out to write down the tag number as I catch his on video. I leave. Heh, wasn't driving my car. [trollface]

Really? I wonder how it'll go when I video while OCing.... I think we can expect a lot of intimidation and provocation. In this incident, I didn't even do anything wrong. this rent-a-cop was the douche, and tried to be a bigger douche as if that would vindicate him...

How did I miss this one?

Twice folks have parked in my assigned parking spot. I don't flip out, as there are many vacant unassigned spots in my apartment complex. However, they're not covered, and we do get hail around here, so...

I take a couple of date/time-linked pics of them in my spot, but then I'll simply put a nice note under their wiper, including an excerpt of the apartment rules (I take pics of that, too). If they're gone in a reasonable period of time, say a couple of hours, no worries. If not, I snap a couple of more pics, post a stronger note including the pics of their car in my spot, along with "Your car will be towed by X:XX am/pm if it's not removed, giving them a couple more hours.

Precisely on time, I'll snap a final picture as I'm calling the tow truck, which nets them an instant $70 from the violator as they're legally responsible for the response. If they arrive and the violator's vehicle is still there, they tow it, which costs the violator $240, the same as what it costs to rent a covered parking spot for an entire year.

After that, I usually don't park in my covered parking space for several days...

By the way, Ixtow, I also take pics of non-handicapped vehicles parking in the handicap spots and simply e-mail them to a friend of mine on the force. If the cars are still there several hours later when he does his drive-by, their owners receive a juicy ticket.

Handicap parking spots cost businesses, hence customers like us, extra money. I have no problem seeing them used by people who need them, but I'll not stand idly by as a healthy 25-year-old who looks and walks or runs into the store like he was a track star in high school parks in one just because he's lazy.

OldCurlyWolf

How did I miss this one?

Twice folks have parked in my assigned parking spot. I don't flip out, as there are many vacant unassigned spots in my apartment complex. However, they're not covered, and we do get hail around here, so...

I take a couple of date/time-linked pics of them in my spot, but then I'll simply put a nice note under their wiper, including an excerpt of the apartment rules (I take pics of that, too). If they're gone in a reasonable period of time, say a couple of hours, no worries. If not, I snap a couple of more pics, post a stronger note including the pics of their car in my spot, along with "Your car will be towed by X:XX am/pm if it's not removed, giving them a couple more hours.

Precisely on time, I'll snap a final picture as I'm calling the tow truck, which nets them an instant $70 from the violator as they're legally responsible for the response. If they arrive and the violator's vehicle is still there, they tow it, which costs the violator $240, the same as what it costs to rent a covered parking spot for an entire year.

After that, I usually don't park in my covered parking space for several days...

By the way, Ixtow, I also take pics of non-handicapped vehicles parking in the handicap spots and simply e-mail them to a friend of mine on the force. If the cars are still there several hours later when he does his drive-by, their owners receive a juicy ticket.

Handicap parking spots cost businesses, hence customers like us, extra money. I have no problem seeing them used by people who need them, but I'll not stand idly by as a healthy 25-year-old who looks and walks or runs into the store like he was a track star in high school parks in one just because he's lazy.

On the HC slots. One that chaps me is the people who drive a car that has a HC permit for some one else and who park in the HC spots.

I am not sure about other states, but this is a nice $500 fine in OK and TX

If the person to whom the permit is issued is not present, don't use the HC parking.:cuss:

HeroHog

In the 3 states I have lived in, ya get a wallet ID card with yer handicapped tag/plate that MUST be carried with the person to whom the tag is for and is used to validate that tag should it be required. If the person parked using that tag doesn't have that card and/or isn't the person who's name is on that tag/card, instant ticket (if the officer is so inclined).

One evening I came upon a LIMOUSINE parked between the handicapped spots effetelyly blocking ALL 4 OF THEM! They had no placard/tags either! I was INSTANTLY ticked and called the cops. I was on the phone with them when the guy who was driving the car came out of the store. Turned out he was disabled (on oxygen). I was in voice contact with the cops at that time and canceled the call even though he could have easily gotten a ticket for blocking them ALL and probably should have but as I was the only other one needing those spaces at the time...

PS: To those who park in those places illegally or simply crowd those spots because you lack proper parking skills, sorry about those door dings. I require a lot of room to get in and out and for my wheelchair and I may have accidentally scratched/dented your car...

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
And thus in the Social Lounge. Can you cite a law it would violate, per rule 5? Also, if you're so worried about topics that have nothing to do with OC, you might want to look in the News section, for one about an openly carried Pitch Fork. I believe the rules of this site say it's for the open carry of handguns, not long forks.:)

In Oklahoma it would constitute "tampering with a standing automobile" which is a criminal misdemeanor. I'll bet most states have some similar statute.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
On the HC slots. One that chaps me is the people who drive a car that has a HC permit for some one else and who park in the HC spots.

I am not sure about other states, but this is a nice $500 fine in OK and TX

If the person to whom the permit is issued is not present, don't use the HC parking.:cuss:

The exception to that legally and morally is if the person to whom the permit is issued is not able to drive, but then it's only acceptable when transporting the handicapped person.

Use of the reserved parking spaces by people who aren't physically limited should result in a large fine. To me, the fact that it still continues to happen is a good argument that the fine isn't large enough.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Infraction of Rule 15 - illegal acts
This thread was not started in the Social Forum I don't believe - it was moved there.

Without any rules, how can the rules be bent for a pitchfork. :p
Now if it became a regular thing.................