• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Golden Saber vs. Cor Bon

Richieg150

180gr. Golden Saber vs. 135gr. Cor Bon
After reading and seeing all different opinions about bullet weight versus velocity for penetration, I decided to have some fun and do a penetration test for myself, that I had watched others do.....I tried to keep everything exactly the same in reguards to both rounds.....so the results would be fair. Based on my scientific methods, the result were.....IF and WHEN I am ever attacked by some 1 gallon water jugs, I know which round I will have in my weapon!!! I forgot to add that the brass jacket on the Golden Saber was actually stuck in the second water jug on the exit side.
http://www.youtube.com/user/missouriopencarry?feature=mhee

Last edited:

zack991

I have personal experience with Corbon in my 1911 that saved my life and needless to say they have more than earned my business for life.

tcmech

corbons are about the only thing that do not feed reliably in my glock 36

since9

Campaign Veteran
The link is working. The fluid dynamics of water are much different than that of tissue. A good HP round where the round flattens but stays together will do just fine.

Richieg150

The "TEST" wasnt scientific at all, but was fun. After seeing others do the same thing on Youtube, I though why not.I also thought about water being different than flesh,but I was in short supply of flesh to shoot thru.I have shot many different rounds thru my SW99,and the only two times it jammed, were shooting the Cor Bon 135 JHP. The round looked kinda nose down in the clip,I pulled back on the slide and released and it fed right in.I did another clip,made sure all were fed correctly and seated to the back of the clip,fired away and number six jammed....pulled back the slide....fed right in and shot the rest of the clip.Im not saying it was the round,probably was operator error,but whatever the reason made me leary of the round.I had actually picked up the Golden Saber rounds the day before and was going to run a couple boxes thru to see how they fed.They fed great, no problems and actually felt to shoot better,not as much muzzle flip as the lighter round.Both are exceptional rounds, but after having two jamms, never having one before, I'm thinking what the **** is up with that.The Cor Bon round did flatten out probably twice the size,which would definately cause damage.Im thinking whatever round a person decides on,as long as it goes boom when the trigger is pulled and another round is fed into its place,there will be damage on the receiving end.....

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
If you ever have to defend yourself with a defensive gun use..the Jury will be shown by the Prosecutor what Ammo you were using...Personal defense or Home defense ammo would be the wise choice.

Federal Premium makes...GUARD DOG HOME DEFENSE Ammo..in 9mm, 40s&w & 45acp I use the 45acp stuff in my Glock 21
165 grain. this stuff will soon be the gold standard in Home/Personal defense ammo...

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/federal-premium-guard-dog-home-defense/

Titan357

The "TEST" wasnt scientific at all, but was fun. After seeing others do the same thing on Youtube, I though why not.I also thought about water being different than flesh,but I was in short supply of flesh to shoot thru.I have shot many different rounds thru my SW99,and the only two times it jammed, were shooting the Cor Bon 135 JHP. The round looked kinda nose down in the clip,I pulled back on the slide and released and it fed right in.I did another clip,made sure all were fed correctly and seated to the back of the clip,fired away and number six jammed....pulled back the slide....fed right in and shot the rest of the clip.Im not saying it was the round,probably was operator error,but whatever the reason made me leary of the round.I had actually picked up the Golden Saber rounds the day before and was going to run a couple boxes thru to see how they fed.They fed great, no problems and actually felt to shoot better,not as much muzzle flip as the lighter round.Both are exceptional rounds, but after having two jamms, never having one before, I'm thinking what the **** is up with that.The Cor Bon round did flatten out probably twice the size,which would definately cause damage.Im thinking whatever round a person decides on,as long as it goes boom when the trigger is pulled and another round is fed into its place,there will be damage on the receiving end.....

I am not a expert on this subject, but I do firmly believe that a normal (non drugged out person) will stop when shot with anything 9MM or larger with one to two rounds of just about anything, placed in center mass.
Not saying a .22 mag wont do the job, though.
The extra damage of a HP round over a FMJ round really comes down to expansion VS penetration.

But with a 9MM penetration (or even over) should not really be a great concern.
As long as you have a brand that feeds well, and always goes off you should be fine.
9Mm is about the smallest thing I want a Hp in though because of the speed/weight.

I personally carry hornady critical defense and I read up on it before I bought it. I know what it will and wont go through.
I know it feeds well in my 9MM, but TBQH nothing has jammed in my ruger yet, from cheep steel cases to WWB.

I chose 115 grain HP because it shoots exactly the same as my 115 FMJ I buy.

inb4 9MM Vs .45acp.

okboomer

If you ever have to defend yourself with a defensive gun use..the Jury will be shown by the Prosecutor what Ammo you were using...Personal defense or Home defense ammo would be the wise choice.

Federal Premium makes...GUARD DOG HOME DEFENSE Ammo..in 9mm, 40s&w & 45acp I use the 45acp stuff in my Glock 21
165 grain. this stuff will soon be the gold standard in Home/Personal defense ammo...

Or use what LEO uses in your area ... can't complain about what you use when they issue it to the LEO :banana: I use Speer GoldDot myself :D

MR Redenck

I use these...:shocker:
46-3.jpg
As far as ammo goes, im one of those who thinks getting shot with anything would pretty much suck.
Handgun, I have shot all kinds of ammo into all kinds of stuff. The only thing I would not suggest is carrying a 45acp with FMJ's for self defense. Not that a 45acp wont do the job, it will simply go all the way through stuff. Hollow point stay inside of what they hit. LOL
Anything I choose for self defense is going to have store bought ammo in it. The reason is obvious.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I use these...:shocker:
View attachment 6808
As far as ammo goes, im one of those who thinks getting shot with anything would pretty much suck.
Handgun, I have shot all kinds of ammo into all kinds of stuff. The only thing I would not suggest is carrying a 45acp with FMJ's for self defense. Not that a 45acp wont do the job, it will simply go all the way through stuff. Hollow point stay inside of what they hit. LOL
Anything I choose for self defense is going to have store bought ammo in it. The reason is obvious.

talk about uber over penetration with those slugs :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Whether or not this is an issue is going to depend upon the state and/or county in which you live. In my state and county, it is not going to be an issue at all.