• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun Rights Initiative/Referendum? How do you respond if asked to sit in the bar?

mnrobitaille

My family & I were running errands in town yesterday, & while at the Pasco Walmart noticed a table near the Food Center entrance that had a sign stating something about "Gun Rights". Is there an initiative/referendum petition going around that I do not now about?

During that same trip, we decided to stop & get dinner at the Richland Applebee's. When entering the Manager (acting as the host), asked if we were all over 21 as he was going to seat us in the bar area. I politely said we are all over 21, however we cannot sit in the bar area. He, without losing a beat, stated jokingly "got your shotgun with you?" & proceeded to seat us in the all ages area. No other questions were asked, but I did state that I didn't want to see them get in trouble for seating us in the bar area & he thanked me.

I am curious how others would respond if asked to sit in the bar area while carrying.

mnrobitaille

would simplify things if the OP was OCing :p *waits for the explosion of comments*

Most of the time, when OCing I hardly get a response from people, except for the strange/odd look (not counting the DSHS event). I do both IWB & OWB OC, though been doing more IWB OC. Not always when doing IWB OC can the sidearm be noticed, compared to OWB.

rightwinglibertarian

Most of the time, when OCing I hardly get a response from people, except for the strange/odd look (not counting the DSHS event). I do both IWB & OWB OC, though been doing more IWB OC. Not always when doing IWB OC can the sidearm be noticed, compared to OWB.

I'm not surprised. if your information is uptodate you live in a tiny little village and probably know 80% of the people plus you're not anywhere near Seattle.

Freedom1Man

I am curious how others would respond if asked to sit in the bar area while carrying.

I was CC at the time and politely let them know that I could not be seated there due to my sidearm. The restaurant host was vert nice and seated me/us in the general dining.

I do not remember if I was alone or had the GF (of that time) with me.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

decklin

I've had this happen several times while OC'ing and CC'ing.
I simply say, "I prefer to sit on the restaraunt side, thank you. "
I keep it simple. Only one time I've had a hostess insist I sit on the bar side. I informed her firearms aren't allowed in the portion of the establishment deemed off limits to minors by the LCB.
It took her a moment to realize I was telling her I was armed. It was amusing as I was OC'ing that day.

mnrobitaille

I'm not surprised. if your information is uptodate you live in a tiny little village and probably know 80% of the people plus you're not anywhere near Seattle.

Yes I live in a small community (population about 200), & I only know maybe about 25% of those in my town, however when going to town, I am going to Pasco, Kennewick, &/or Richland. I have to deal with Costco & other like minded businesses, just like you have in Seattle.

sudden valley gunner

I usually am just straight up and say "It's now lawful for me to be in the bar area, is there another seat/table available?" I find all the places I have had to say this at were more than accommodating.

O_Kellogg

Wow. Ah just FYI, this could really make you sound like a Seattle Elitist Douchewrap.

Then again, I just live in a tiny little village... not anywhere near Seattle.:cool:

Lthrnck

Asked about sitting in the bar area...

It's really simple...

In your best Foster Brooks impersonation, just say....

Why thank you deeeaar, but I'm toasted already...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's really simple...

In your best Foster Brooks impersonation, just say....

Why thank you deeeaar, but I'm toasted already...

Another reason why we need a ROFLAO smiley.

And how many posters do you imagine know who Foster Brooks was, as opposed to needing to Google him? (Where's the Oulde Phart smiley?)

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It took her a moment to realize I was telling her I was armed. It was amusing as I was OC'ing that day.

I, too, have had this waitress talk to me. They seem almost dense until they lay eyes on the weapon.

I find all the places I have had to say this at were more than accommodating.

This is Truth!. With one exception....http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?130838-Asked-to-leave-a-restaurant-because-of-a-gun

Happens to me fairly often. I just tell them that I am armed and I cannot go into that area. Never any worries.

OC for ME

36_11_6.gif

angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

zaitz

Banned
My family & I were running errands in town yesterday, & while at the Pasco Walmart noticed a table near the Food Center entrance that had a sign stating something about "Gun Rights". Is there an initiative/referendum petition going around that I do not now about?

if a person wishes to check on the existence of any initiative or referendum, go to the website of the sec of state of washington and click on elections and voting and initiatives and referenda . . .

mnrobitaille

Protection of gun rights

While in Pasco @ Walmart, the table was there again asking for petition signers, I was able to find out that the issue with gun rights deals with H.R. 2959: The Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013. In simple terms, there would be nationwide reciprocity for CPL holders, you would just have to know the local laws about where to carry & not carry.

More information about H.R 2959 can be found at: NRA-ILA| H.R. 2959, the Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013 or at: H.R.2959 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013

Unfortunately at the same time the gentleman requesting the signatures did not seem well versed in RKBA or the organizations fighting to keep those rights.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hm, that certainly would set off a few warning bells for me. Now just who will have this personally identifying information?

and people wonder why they get hacked. This is like the little card you fill out to win that new car parked in the mall. Sure, I want to give all my info to some bozo with a clipboard standing outside of haggens.

Ask for HIS credentials.