• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA State Gun - If Utah has one, shouldn't VA?

vt357

Heard that on Doc Thompson's show yesterday. He was saying we should go further and adopt a state handgun, state rifle, state shotgun, state cartridge (caliber). Do it if for no other reason than to see Saslaw and Marsh's faces twitch during the committee meetings. :D

wylde007

I would argue the 1803 or 1855 Harper's Ferry. At the time of manufacture Harper's Ferry was still in Virginia.

Unfortunately, only field guns and artillery were produced at Tredegar. An infantry rifle manufactured there would have been an immediate first choice.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Richmond Manufactory of Arms.

These rifles were the militia rifles for Va in the Revolutionary war.
Then they were put in storage until the war of northern aggression.

Then were modified to caplock and issued to the good guys.

After the somewhat disputed end of the war, they were sold as surplus and many were made into very nice sporting rifles.

In other words, these rifles were made in Va and used in Va. No plastic on them either.

Last edited:

wylde007

These rifles were the militia rifles for Va in the Revolutionary war.
Then they were put in storage until the war of northern aggression.

Then were modified to caplock and issued to the good guys.
My only argument would be they lack a rifled barrel (like the 1803) if I am not mistaken.

The 1855 was the first production model firing the Minie in .54 caliber and having a rifled barrel, a landmark development in firearms manufacturing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My only argument would be they lack a rifled barrel (like the 1803) if I am not mistaken.

The 1855 was the first production model firing the Minie in .54 caliber and having a rifled barrel, a landmark development in firearms manufacturing.

Some of the converted ones had rifled barrels. Mine is rifled and is the rifle issued to my Great, Great, Grandfather.

He was allowed to keep it because he was sent home to run his saltpeter making operation.
Custer destroyed the operation when he ran amuck in the Shenandoah Valley (stole our gold watch too)

Your right about the original configuration though.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Virginia overran the Harpers Ferry arsenal early in the war, and brought the machinery back to Richmond. It was there they began to manufacture rifles almost identical to the 1855 Springfield rifled musket. The lockplate was marked "CS Richmond, VA". These pieces are now very rare and expensive, but I had the good fortune a few years back to clean and refurbish one such rifle for a neighbor whose great grandfather served in the Army of Northern Virginia.

I nominate the "CS Richmond" to be the state rifle.

http://www.oldsouthantiques.com/945-1.htm

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
It would be nice if it were an arm that whosoever wish to have could obtain and carry. I am a fan of the curios and old rare items but to be able to hold, carry and use a state emblem would be something.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It would be nice if it were an arm that whosoever wish to have could obtain and carry. I am a fan of the curios and old rare items but to be able to hold, carry and use a state emblem would be something.

We are talking about a state firearm. That should be a symbol of Virginia's heritage.

Using a modern gun would be like putting Barb Wire on the state seal.
Nice to look at but no class.

wylde007

I totally considered it for a minute and then decided today was not the day I wanted to get banned from OCDO.

........--Moderator Note--
.........Rational decision. :D

Last edited: