• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver Area Police Impersonators

since9

Campaign Veteran
Seems like a couple of real bruisin' cruisers are cruising in the guise of law enforcement officers. Article.

If you see a "Denver" police car with rotating lights, it might be ripe to call in genuine law enforcement.

Beau

I've driven to a safe area when being stopped before. I got chewed out but oh well.

I've heard that another thing you can do if you something doesn't feel right is call the police before you stop to make sure the stop is legit. Has anyone done this?

mahkagari

I've driven to a safe area when being stopped before. I got chewed out but oh well.

I've heard that another thing you can do if you something doesn't feel right is call the police before you stop to make sure the stop is legit. Has anyone done this?

My wife's rule was to do it every time...in South Africa. There you do NOT stop for police if you're a woman. You drive to the nearest police station. The unfortunate situation is that the demographic of this board is not who the fake police are targeting.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
These thugs have been posing as cops, stopping citizens (women as a rule) as if they are cops, then sexually assaulting the driver.
One of these days, they'll end up stopping a woman with a CCW, and hopefully get themselves ventillated.

When being stopped by a cop, or a cop impersonator, the way to go is call 911. Report your location, keep them on line to record whatever transpires, and keep them on scene until an actual cop arrives. Unless, of course, it is an actual cop. In the latter event, everything said is recorded on the 911 tape, that a cop can't remove from evidence (as is the case with your cellphone, recording device or video camera.)
Some cops, knowing you have 911 on the line, will be reticent to continue the encounter even during a legitimate stop.

Never, under any circumstances, stop your vehicle until verified that the stop is legit.
So the cop gets his dander up because you dragged him to an area with plenty of witnesses around.
You gotta do what you need to do for your own safety.
Most cops hereabouts are aware of the impersonation incidents, and will understand. If they don't, sucks to be them!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

OldCurlyWolf

Howdy Folks!
These thugs have been posing as cops, stopping citizens (women as a rule) as if they are cops, then sexually assaulting the driver.
One of these days, they'll end up stopping a woman with a CCW, and hopefully get themselves ventillated.

When being stopped by a cop, or a cop impersonator, the way to go is call 911. Report your location, keep them on line to record whatever transpires, and keep them on scene until an actual cop arrives. Unless, of course, it is an actual cop. In the latter event, everything said is recorded on the 911 tape, that a cop can't remove from evidence (as is the case with your cellphone, recording device or video camera.)
Some cops, knowing you have 911 on the line, will be reticent to continue the encounter even during a legitimate stop.

Never, under any circumstances, stop your vehicle until verified that the stop is legit.
So the cop gets his dander up because you dragged him to an area with plenty of witnesses around.
You gotta do what you need to do for your own safety.
Most cops hereabouts are aware of the impersonation incidents, and will understand. If they don't, sucks to be them!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

It has been my experience that most LEA's, when confronted with impersonators like these, tell people, especially women, not to stop for a unit until sure it is legitimate and only in an area where there are plenty of other people.

Has anyone heard from Denver PD, the County Sheriff or the Highway Patrol about this?:cuss:

xd shooter

A couple of years ago I had a cop pull in behind me in a construction zone. The barrels narrowed the 3 lane highway down to one, but maintained a 60 MPH speed zone.

After following me for a couple miles, he turned on his lights and siren. I could not find a decent place to pull over for just over 1 mile, where we came to an overpass with a large enough area to allow me AND the officers vehicle to get safely off the road.

He proceeded to chew my butt for not pulling over immediately. He was so PO'd he was purple in the face! Apparently he had also called for backup, other units were rushing to get ahead of me to get me pulled over....

When I stated that I was only looking for a safe place to pull over, being concerned for his welfare as well as mine, he stated that HE made that decision, that I was REQUIRED to pull over immediately.

I received a ticket for failure to yield to a police officer, speeding in a construction zone, and failure to provide proof of Registration.

My son had borrowed my truck and I couldn't find the darn registration. But this was dismissed when I brought it to the court clerk.

The Prosecuting attorney offered me a deal, plead in the failure to yield and he would dismiss the speeding in a construction zone...I had a problem with that idea, as a failure to yield conviction MAY have prevented me from obtaining my CPL..:(

I had FOIA'd the dash cam recording as well as the written report from the officer, receiving a letter containing the written report and a statement that no dash cam vid was available.

The Prosecuting Attorney however, in his bid to get me to accept the plea deal stated that they had the whole incident on video!!! :eek: I then showed him the letter from the Clerks office stating that there was no video...

That little letter got the failure to yield charge dropped and the speeding charge reduced to a NON construction zone fine...

Point is, this particular LEO stated that I did NOT have the right to go to a safe place, that I was required to stop immediately. I had hoped to play that video for the Judge to see HIS reaction to the statement...:):)

Gunslinger

A couple of years ago I had a cop pull in behind me in a construction zone. The barrels narrowed the 3 lane highway down to one, but maintained a 60 MPH speed zone.

After following me for a couple miles, he turned on his lights and siren. I could not find a decent place to pull over for just over 1 mile, where we came to an overpass with a large enough area to allow me AND the officers vehicle to get safely off the road.

He proceeded to chew my butt for not pulling over immediately. He was so PO'd he was purple in the face! Apparently he had also called for backup, other units were rushing to get ahead of me to get me pulled over....

When I stated that I was only looking for a safe place to pull over, being concerned for his welfare as well as mine, he stated that HE made that decision, that I was REQUIRED to pull over immediately.

I received a ticket for failure to yield to a police officer, speeding in a construction zone, and failure to provide proof of Registration.

My son had borrowed my truck and I couldn't find the darn registration. But this was dismissed when I brought it to the court clerk.

The Prosecuting attorney offered me a deal, plead in the failure to yield and he would dismiss the speeding in a construction zone...I had a problem with that idea, as a failure to yield conviction MAY have prevented me from obtaining my CPL..:(

I had FOIA'd the dash cam recording as well as the written report from the officer, receiving a letter containing the written report and a statement that no dash cam vid was available.

The Prosecuting Attorney however, in his bid to get me to accept the plea deal stated that they had the whole incident on video!!! :eek: I then showed him the letter from the Clerks office stating that there was no video...

That little letter got the failure to yield charge dropped and the speeding charge reduced to a NON construction zone fine...

Point is, this particular LEO stated that I did NOT have the right to go to a safe place, that I was required to stop immediately. I had hoped to play that video for the Judge to see HIS reaction to the statement...:):)

So on a two lane road over the Jamestown Bridge you're supposed to drive off it. BS. This cop is a ******* moron. Put your right turn signal on and find a safe place. You have now obeyed the law. I personally would have told him he was full of crap and looked forward to getting him on the witness stand to stick *** **** ** *** ***. If you were driving 60 in a posted 60, construction zone or not, you were not speeding.

M-Taliesin

Another Fake LEO Incident!

Howdy Folks!
I heard another incident of police impersonation happened over the weekend.
A woman was pulled over and sexually assaulted.

Don't have the details right handy, but that's the story reported on 9 news last night.

My pardner and I were out to do errands today and noticed a swarm of cops surrounding what looked like a police car in the parking lot at Chambers and Colfax. Might be the suspect vehicle. It looked like a cop car, but had no emblems on it. They were checking it out as we drove by.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

It looked like a cop car, but had no emblems on it. They were checking it out as we drove by.

OOC, how many people make it a habit of checking jurisdictions on LEO vehicles? I.e. my curiousity is always piqued when I see a State trooper vehicle in town. (Heh, one time I got nicked for having expired tags. The trooper saw me on the CR, but waited until I turned onto the state HWY before pulling me over.)

It's Andy Garcia's fault. Seeing "Desperate Measures" and "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" made an impression on me. Not that I'm going to throw a jurisdictional fit, but it's just part of constantly playing "What's wrong with this picture?" When I see a lot of Frederick vehicles in Firestone, it makes me wonder what S is HTF for an interagency operation. If Longmont shows up, things are seriously going down and I'm sure SWAT is right behind and I'd best get my wee arse out of there. Passing the police station keeps me up to date on what kind of vehicles the town has. E.g. I'm pretty sure we don't have any unmarked sedans and positive we don't have any unmarked SUVs. I believe the unmarkeds I've seen a couple of times were from out of town.

I usually see Boulder County sheriff suburban type vehicles. Boulder city vehicles are black. I've gone to Orange when I see "black and whites" around Boulder city. There's at least one guy with a plainly labeled "out of service" car like that.

TheLittleMan

Wow they still haven't caught these guys?

I wonder what anti-gunners have to say when this type of thing happens. If the first victim knew her rights and also exercised her 2A rights this would have been a short story. Now it's going on for weeks and they haven't even been caught. Ridiculous.

Cesar A

Ridiculous!

I have to drive to Denver to work everyday and I haven't heard a thing about it till I read it here! Hopefully they will make a mistake a pull me over :D. I have one question thou anyone have the description of the dudes doing this or even what type of vehicles they use?

Airborne!

mahkagari

If the first victim knew her rights and also exercised her 2A rights this would have been a short story.

Purely for practicality's sake, how would you go about exercising your 2A rights against someone you "suspect" is a fake LEO?

M-Taliesin

I have to drive to Denver to work everyday and I haven't heard a thing about it till I read it here! Hopefully they will make a mistake a pull me over :D. I have one question thou anyone have the description of the dudes doing this or even what type of vehicles they use?

Airborne!

Howdy Cesar!
Here is one news report on the incidents we are discussing here:
(Sorry, but they make you sit through a commercial first before you can see the news report)

[video]http://denver.cbslocal.com/top-video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6103872[/video]

The problem is that you aren't likely to be stopped by these thugs. They have been targeting women.
However, I am aware of another report from Adams County where a man in a white crown victoria and cop suit confronted a man while walking his dog. I don't have much info on that episode yet.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Purely for practicality's sake, how would you go about exercising your 2A rights against someone you "suspect" is a fake LEO?

Howdy Pardner!
I'd start by calling 911 to determine whether this was an actual cop before pulling over. I'd ask 911 to dispatch a police officer to rendezvous with me at a specific location and cause the one trying to stop me to follow to that location. If I got there before the officer I asked 911 to dispatch arrived, I'd keep the one that stopped me busy until the cops showed up. If they're legit, it would be inconvenient and might rankle the stopping officer. If he isn't legit, he'd end up apprehended pretty swiftly.

If they tell me this ain't an actual cop, my pistol would be at the ready. These guys stop women in order to assault them sexually. So their behavior would also be a clue.

Actual cops should also have a business card on them, and I'd demand to see that along with their wallet I.D. card to ensure they are a cop before unlocking my car door or lowering my window. Any attempt to try getting into my locked car without any reasonable need would bring my pistol into the open.

But I understand your point. It can be real tricky there. But 911 should be able to quickly verify whether a stop is legit or not.

mahkagari

But I understand your point. It can be real tricky there. But 911 should be able to quickly verify whether a stop is legit or not.

Precisely. Saying, "I have 911 on the line, can you please show me your wallet ID and business card?" is going do a lot better for you than raising a pistol to someone you think might not be legit. Might piss him off, but you're within your OTHER rights. I don't believe the first victim took that step in which case 2A wasn't going to be much help if she thought he was legit enough to get out of the car. If that doesn't stop the impersonator and he reaches for a weapon or starts to pull a woman out of her car, then yeah, that's what 2A is for.

It seems like there's a contigent out there with a 2A fix-all attitude.

"Watch out for drunk drivers this holiday weekend."
"Oh, no need to worry about me. I'll just shewt 'em with my OC constitutional rights."
Yeah, 'cause a dead driver is so much better than a drunk driver.

"It's cold out, mind your step on the ice."
"Oh, no need to worry about me. I'll just shewt it with my OC constitutional rights."

"It's hot this weekend, are you taking a water filter with you backpacking?"
"Oh, no need to worry about me. I'll just shewt dem bacteria with my OC constitutional rights."

Is it just me or aren't most police uniforms pretty tailor fit? It seems that there'd be more red flags going up about the "police" uniform looking like it came from Bubba's Costume Shop. Then again, maybe they're putting a lot of effort into their outfits.

Polynikes

Is it just me or aren't most police uniforms pretty tailor fit? It seems that there'd be more red flags going up about the "police" uniform looking like it came from Bubba's Costume Shop. Then again, maybe they're putting a lot of effort into their outfits.

One report I read said one of the victims became suspicious when she realized the "cops" badge indentified him as police, but his uniform said "Sheriff."

I'd wager that anyone with decent situational awareness and the ability to think for themselves would be able to tell there was something rotten about these guys. It's the oblivious ones that have something to worry about...

MKEgal

M-Taliesin said:
Sounds like a need for all the female LEOs, military & ex-, pistol instructors, IDPA/GSSF/etc. shooters in the area, to get some city-bought gas & drive around.
Saturate the city with "black widows".
Maybe there could be a sticker in the rear window (something non-obvious, like a smiley face or maybe a fake political candidate), & all real cops would be told NOT to pull over one of those cars, no matter what.
IDK about how to have them all wired to communicate w/ LEOs in case they got pulled over by the fakes, so they could do it without being too obvious...

xd shooter said:

He proceeded to chew my butt for not pulling over immediately.
...he stated that HE made that decision, that I was REQUIRED to pull over immediately.
So he wanted you to stop right there, blocking the freeway (since there was no place to "pull over")?
What an idiot.
Or did he think you should have pulled into the construction area? Isn't there a penalty for that?

M-Taliesin

Saturate the city with "black widows".

Howdy Amigo!
I really like the heck out of this idea! Yeah, why not? They use bait cars already, so why not send out mobile bait cars for those bad guys to mess with. Hopefully, they'd end up with a full metal jacket enema. Terrific idea.

But again, with all the thousands and thousands of cars on the road, it would still be shaky odds of their picking one of the black widows. But up the ante, and maybe one would get lucky and take those jerks down! Worth a try, I'd say.

Meanwhile, I'll be on the lookout for any white crown vics running around looking all copafied and checking those insignia really close.
All of which reminds me, this should be a good weekend to get out and do some metal detecting! Since I cover a lot of ground pursuing that hobby, maybe I'll spot their car somewhere and pop a call to the local constabulary to fetch them in. Wonder if there would be a reward?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TheLittleMan

Some comments in this thread on Topix are interesting. OG Sniper seems to think we should just do whatever we're told.http://Topix.com/forum/denver/TKDPLJ5TFKVUQ43PO

A couple of those guys are morons. OGSniper would probably let these impersonators rape him on the side of the road too.

The "Black Widow" idea sounds great. I would love to hear that someone went out as a decoy and actually caught them, or shot them, or both.