• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fatal shooting of Austin LEO at Walmart- Walmart OC policy change may result.

HankT

State Researcher
As far as the idiot with a gun; He may have been a LAC the day before he killed this cop, but he was NOT an LAC when he shot the cop, or while he was carrying the gun if he did not possess the proper permit in Texas. I take offense to someone being called LAC, when they broke how many laws doing the deed?

True, no one (OCer, CCer, gunowner/user of any kind) can be a law-abiding citizen after (or during) a heinous crime such as killing someone as an act of aggression. (Self-defense is another matter, of course.)

But someone CAN be a LAC, even for a long time, and then go nuts or something and become a vicious criminal.

So it is important, though obvious, to specify that killing a cop as an act of aggression instantly makes one a non-LAC.

But not necessarily until then.

As far as the actual topic of this thread; I don't think Walmart will use this to change any polices, otherwise they would have changed them after those people were killed 2 years ago on Christmas Eve.

I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine, MatieA.

I see your reference to a previous heinous event and wonder why it wouldn't be MORE likely now for Wal-Mart to change its policy now that there are TWO heinous events within recent memory, this last one being a particularly vicious killing of a cop. I think some guy sitting behind a desk in Bentonville, AR is probably considering that right now. What does the future look like to that W-M guy at the desk?

Another point to consider about whether the Daniel/Ofc. Padron murder is the effect on employees. What do the employees think about it over at Wal-Marts across the country? The two Austin W-M employees darn near got shot when they took courageous action to disable the shooter. Might it be that the bulk of W-M employees feel it is in their interests to work in a space that prohibits guns. I think they might. If so, that would be a factor (out of many) pushing W-M to change its current policy.

rushcreek2

I just ran a Colorado criminal records check on Brandon Daniel - with no results. This search did not include Denver County, but it included all other counties which would include Fort Collins.

If he had even the numerous misdemeanor record mentioned previously it is unlikely that he was a CHL holder.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
True, no one (OCer, CCer, gunowner/user of any kind) can be a law-abiding citizen after (or during) a heinous crime such as killing someone as an act of aggression. (Self-defense is another matter, of course.)

But someone CAN be a LAC, even for a long time, and then go nuts or something and become a vicious criminal.

So it is important, though obvious, to specify that killing a cop as an act of aggression instantly makes one a non-LAC.

But not necessarily until then.

I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine, MatieA.

I see your reference to a previous heinous event and wonder why it wouldn't be MORE likely now for Wal-Mart to change its policy now that there are TWO heinous events within recent memory, this last one being a particularly vicious killing of a cop. I think some guy sitting behind a desk in Bentonville, AR is probably considering that right now. What does the future look like to that W-M guy at the desk?

Another point to consider about whether the Daniel/Ofc. Padron murder is the effect on employees. What do the employees think about it over at Wal-Marts across the country? The two Austin W-M employees darn near got shot when they took courageous action to disable the shooter. Might it be that the bulk of W-M employees feel it is in their interests to work in a space that prohibits guns. I think they might. If so, that would be a factor (out of many) pushing W-M to change its current policy.

WalMart higher-ups in Bentonville have looked at their policy many times - as OCers have contacted them fairly regularly when some officious employee tries to create new policy out of thin air. WalMart, like Starbucks, has not yet seen fit to change the policy over a statistically insignificant number of incidents.

WalMart employees are currently prohibitted from carrying. Don't you think the two Austin employees, and all the others who have personally said that merely standing by to observe and report is not acceptable when someone is being attacked/has just been attacked, would be more likely to feel it was in their best interests to work in a space that allowed them as well as the customers to carry?

:banghead:

stay safe.

Jack House

Wow, I'd better call my sister and tell her that:

1. Her Pay Sucks
2. Her Insurance Sucks
3. She lied to me , because they don't let women into upper management.
4. She really doesn't enjoy working at WalMart because they don't treat their employees good.

Not too mention all the people I know that work at Walmart that seem to think that is a pretty good place to work.
Upper management as in what exactly? Store manager isn't upper management and anything below sure as hell isn't. But even so, store managers make over a $100k. That's before bonuses, which can very easily double that amount. I only know roughly what my store manager makes and his bonus, don't know anything about his benefits, but with an income like that, I can't imagine then being bad. It's safe to assume upper management makes quite a bit more with better benefits.

Anyone below co manager isn't going to make very much money at all, unless they have been there forever. We have stockers making more money than assistant managers simply because they've been there for 20 years, which means that they were there during the good years, plus all them raises.

Most people that work for Walmart hate it unless they are working a cushy job.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most people that work for Walmart hate it unless they are working a cushy job.

Pretty much the same as every other job for every other employer.

The point needs to be returned to - why would/should WalMart change its policy regarding customers? Now if they decide to change their policy regarding employees being allowed to carry. But I doubt if the latter will ever happen.

stay safe.

Jack House

Pretty much the same as every other job for every other employer.

stay safe.
I disagree, but I also digress.

To answer your question, they shouldn't. They should change their policy that would fire the two that tackled the shooter and they should change their no carry policy.

I wonder if they have updated their weapons policy since the new Texas law has taken effect.

I don't think they would change their policy regarding customers, but it's always a legitimate concern when something like this happens.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I disagree, but I also digress.

To answer your question, they shouldn't. They should change their policy that would fire the two that tackled the shooter and they should change their no carry policy.

I wonder if they have updated their weapons policy since the new Texas law has taken effect.

I don't think they would change their policy regarding customers, but it's always a legitimate concern when something like this happens.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that lie Starbucks their policy was to follow state law.

Or are you referring to the policy of no carry by employees while on the clock?

And the policy that may be used to fire the two employees is the one about violating company policy. I'm not sure I'd want to see that changed.

Let's be real clear here - those two were not trying to protect/preserve property belonging to their employer. They were, if all inferences are drawn in their favor, making a citizen's arrest. Because they did that while on the clock they exposed their employer to certain liability risks (although I'm pretty sure that they did not consider that issue at the time the tackled the alleged shooter). Even when the store security camera footage presented at trial is accepted as proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the alleged shooter was the one who allegedly shot the cop with the alleged handgun, stepping out of their role of employee and making a citizen's arrest puts the employer in a dicey position. But then so does carrying the little blue-haired old lady's bags out to the car for her and I don't see WalMart firing employees over that when the little blue-haired old lady does not sue them because the employee dropped her bag or scratched her paintjob or even winked at her.

I guess Walmart needs to decide if being a corporate good citozen goes that far or not. All this speculation has been fun but gets us nowhere. I'm going to get some popcorn and wait to see what actually happens.

stay safe.

Jack House

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, the post fell apart in the second paragraph. Yes, I am referring to the employees on company property, or while at a company function.

Dreamer

Although I hate to admit that HankT makes a valid point, he has, and it is a point that the Mushroom Media has been completely ignoring in this shooting and others like it.

What do this shooter, the shooters in Columbine, Ft. Hood, Pittsburgh, the Amish School in PA, and EVERY OTHER weird shooting or mass shooting in the last 10 years in the US and Europe all have in common?

They were ALL--to a one--on prescription psychotropics like Xanax, Prozac, Adderall and Ritalin.

If we want to reduce the number of these situations where some "normal, soft-spoken nerd" just goes off and kills people, we need to make these mind-altering, brain-destroying, hallucinogenic drugs illegal to prescribe. They are DESIGNED to make your brain work in a dream-like state. It should be no surprise that occasionally, someone who is an otherwise normal, functional person who is on these drugs just "snaps" and becomes a murdering madman...

Wake up people. There is a war being waged against the American People, and the main battle front is for your mind...

Last edited: