• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here Comes More Gun Control

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
This event, combined with our stupid news media that gives ultimate coverage to these shooters, have handed Obama the perfect stage. He sheds a tear...he mentions other mass shootings as examples of why this problem is on every corner...manages to include Chicago as one of the areas filled with "tragic shootings"...and ultimately says, "We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics." (Bolding is mine.) It isn't too difficult to read between the lines on that one, is it? Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York already tossed in his $.02, "Calling for meaningful action' is not enough. We need immediate action. We have heard all the rhetoric before." 38 days post-election and Obama is already running his personal agenda against gun owners and the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:

Snake161

Well, its sad, but I don't feel as though I have to suffer because some loser 20 year old with mental problems decides to slaughter a bunch of kids. This would have happened with or without guns. Be it an axe, a baseball bat, a knife....you get the picture. In the end, the ONLY reason that politicians want to get rid of guns and why it is even mentioned is because it is the key to a free and prosperous society. TO HEAR THE PEOPLE IS TO FEAR THE PEOPLE. And this is what they want to eliminate; its simple. I don't plan on living in a "free" country that doesn't allow for me to protect myself, family and freedom from a villain, be it a psycho like this guy, or a government out of control (which is what we are heading towards very fast). It is simply leverage. And it seems as though it came at a perfect time for Obama. Funny how these things work.....conspiracy BS aside. The founding fathers knew that this was the key to freedom, to be feared and respected by your government, and it should not change either way. I don't think it will reach a point right now where they will attempt to disarm us, however I do think that a registration program will begin...and from their each and every crime that happens like this will slowly nudge them towards total disarmament. Happened in Europe and Australia. That's how they do it, in stages. Pull the proverbial wool over our eyes, so to speak. And by that time, we just won't care. Just like the UK. Because apparently, in this country, our overreaching government believes that punishing the lawful and innocent is now the way to be.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The blame belong squarely on the head of the anti's who give us these unarmed victim zones and disarmed anybody that could have been armed and stopped this early on.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Israel used to have a problem with terrorists coming in and shooting up their schools until they armed their teachers... problem solved. If there is blame to be assigned in this tragedy it belongs to the mental health community for letting this monster fall through the cracks.

HankT

State Researcher
How many armed teachers do we need?

Israel used to have a problem with terrorists coming in and shooting up their schools until they armed their teachers... problem solved.

How many armed teachers in the U.S. do you figure it would take to solve the problem, like the Israelis did? Do you have an estimate?

siefly

It doesn't matter how many teachers are armed. If there is a possibility that even some or even one might be armed it would certainly make a potential shooter go to easier pickings (posted business for example) or face death before he/she commits mass murder. As long as teachers and administrators are in a building that is full of potential targets and have no means to protect themselves this will continue. The blood is on the hands of the politicians who supported and signed the "gun free zone" law.
They are the ones who made it possible for these types of acts to continue.

Siefly

MKEgal

HankT said:
How many armed teachers in the U.S. do you figure it would take to solve the problem, like the Israelis did?
All it takes is one... in the right place, at the right time, with the right tool & training.
There could be one per school, there could be 100 per school, it doesn't matter as long as there's one in the right place at the right time.
And the criminals would never know if the adult they're facing is that one.
Sort of like how cc laws keep even the sheep safer 'cause the criminals never know for sure.

Lurchiron

The blame belong squarely on the head of the anti's who give us these unarmed victim zones and disarmed anybody that could have been armed and stopped this early on.

...and not to mention the mother of the shooter herself; for she is the one who left unsecured firearms within reach of her (knowingly)mentally unstable child...shame on her first. :mad:

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
While its good to have a forum where we can share our frustrations, I believe now is not the appropriate time to indulge those emotions. The anti's have been waiting for an opportunity and the shootings in Connecticut may have tipped the balance in their favor. They have an ally in a media that refuses refuses to broadcast examples of firearms used in defense of life and family (unless they can somehow spin it to portray firearms ownership as evil and irresponsible). The shootings in Connecticut involve children and the "What About The CHILDREN!?!?!" mantra will now resonate with more parents in the nation than it did at the beginning of 2012.

Personally, I believe now is the time to put more effort into finding research and facts about the ineffectiveness of gun control and to hunt for and collect examples of firearms used in the defense of children, single mothers, the physically disabled, and the elderly. We will need this information in conversations with acquaintances and communications to the legislature and the government. Letters filled with promises of, "I will vote you out of office!" will not get us the support and the votes we need to win the day. Here are a few examples I found with Google and 10 minutes of time at the keyboard.

The Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Review is hardly an example of a pro-second amendment periodical. Yet in January 2007 a national and international analysis of gun control came back with the following conclusion at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...crgGnZLbX1Bg&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.aWc&cad=rja:

"Nevertheless, the burden of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially since they argue public policy ought to be based on that mantra. To bear that burden would at the very least require showing that a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that have imposed stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared across the world."

Personally, I kind of like pictures. :lol: Here is one showing the impact of the handgun ban and mandatory trigger locks in Washington D.C.:

dc.png

My point is it will take a great deal of information & effort to counter the wave of emotion and misinformation that is coming. My personal experience is it is far more difficult to change opinions based in emotion than it is to change opinions based on information. We have our work cut out for us.

Firearms Iinstuctor

...and not to mention the mother of the shooter herself; for she is the one who left unsecured firearms within reach of her (knowingly)mentally unstable child...shame on her first. :mad:

He wasn't a child he was a grown man.

At 20 yoa I was a working LEO. I have known several 18 yoa working LEOs that were very responable in doing their job.

No child maybe his mother treated him like one that could be the whole trouble there.

ncwabbit

scm54449 the graph in your proceeding post is attributed to what source since it is not part of the Harvard article you referenced?? so i might review the background data? tks

wabbit

ps: to put the article into perspective...leap of faith it was written mid to late 2006 and was published in the 2007 spring edition of the journal.

pps: tho i find it quite interesting a Canadian PhD working in a Canadian University co authored the article...eh?

Last edited:

Lurchiron

He wasn't a child he was a grown man.

At 20 yoa I was a working LEO. I have known several 18 yoa working LEOs that were very responable in doing their job.

No child maybe his mother treated him like one that could be the whole trouble there.

I'm 50, but still my mother's child; was my contextual meaning... I just hope that there are enough moderates that the right can form a rational-minded coalition with, to counter-balance the almost certain backlash from the ignorant antis' insane rhetoric. :idea: