• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parker Colo Law???

cch10000

Was at COSTCO Parker today because a freind told me about a sign there, it Reads:

SEC 5.02.890 c

1. Warning: Parker Police must be notified of all distubances in this Establishment and on the grounds which are part of this Establishment.

2. Warning: A mandatory fine of 999.00 and improsonment up to 1 year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possesing any dangerous or deadly weapon including firearms or knives with over three and a half inch blade into or onto any public property and any organized public gathering or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.

I looked it up and sure enough there is a Parker Colo statute that says this very thing

SOOOO in Parker, any public property, public gathering, or any place that sales alcohol ie Walmart, King Supers, 7-11, liqour stores is off limits to any form of carry

Under preemption is this not illegal????

mobiushky

Was at COSTCO Parker today because a freind told me about a sign there, it Reads:

SEC 5.02.890 c

1. Warning: Parker Police must be notified of all distubances in this Establishment and on the grounds which are part of this Establishment.

2. Warning: A mandatory fine of 999.00 and improsonment up to 1 year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possesing any dangerous or deadly weapon including firearms or knives with over three and a half inch blade into or onto any public property and any organized public gathering or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.

I looked it up and sure enough there is a Parker Colo statute that says this very thing

SOOOO in Parker, any public property, public gathering, or any place that sales alcohol ie Walmart, King Supers, 7-11, liqour stores is off limits to any form of carry

Under preemption is this not illegal????

Hey, we went through this when I first started. Same sign at Chilli's. Check the thread here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...om-Parker-CO&p=1762953&viewfull=1#post1762953

And on.

cch10000

Thought I had read about every thread on here but I missed that somehow

Still don't like the wording of that statute, One could be harrassed almost legally at Parker days for OC and spend a lot of time and money to win the court battle over preemption

mobiushky

Thought I had read about every thread on here but I missed that somehow

Still don't like the wording of that statute, One could be harrassed almost legally at Parker days for OC and spend a lot of time and money to win the court battle over preemption

I won't argue that. IF taken to be that way by a LEO in Parker, it could get ugly. But I don't think they think that way. However, I wonder how you go about it.

I don't technically live in the city limits.

cch10000

I go about it like I do in every day business, Like I don't have a firearm and like it doesn't even matter, The way it shouild be done

Amb

Where's the sign at? I've been at that Costco many a time, even while carrying, and I've never seen it.

cch10000

by the liquor dept right side of the door, and if you frequent costco they are very unfreindly to gun owners so you may want to direct your dollars elsewhere

Last edited:

Amb

That's interesting. If you read the ordinance, it looks like they're required to post a sign like that, yet I've never seen it at any other liquor store:

(c) Each licensee shall post and keep at all times visible to the public in a conspicuous place on the premises, signs to be furnished by the Town Clerk's office, which signs shall be in the following forms:
(1) "Warning! Parker police must be notified of all disturbances in this establishment and on the grounds which are part of this establishment."
(2) "Warning! A mandatory fine of nine hundred ninety-nine dollars ($999.00) and imprisonment of up to one (1) year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possessing any dangerous or deadly weapon, including firearms or knives with over three-and- one-half-inch blades, into or onto any public property, any organized public gathering, or any establishment licensed for the sale of alcoholic or fermented malt beverages.

The husband of the lady who does my taxes is on the town council. I'll have a chat with them when I have my taxes done.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pardner!
I don't give a rat's patoot about municipal ordinances such as this. It is nothing more than a paper tiger intended to intimidate the law abiding citizen, and is preempted by state law:

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Amb

I presume that as a national organization, they have a policy of complying with all local laws and ordinances, and they posted the sign just to be in compliance.

It's not costco's problem that the ordinance is preempted by state law, and posting the sign isn't actively banned by state law.