• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida - long guns in vehicles

rotorhead

An entire thread dedicated to not answering an honest question, filled instead with contention and frivolous debate lol.

Yep, not much has changed since I took a break here :)

conandan

I didn't think his question was against the rules. Besides open carry of hand guns is for the most part illegal in Florida. And the rule states long gun topics are OK if open carrying hand guns are not allowed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't think his question was against the rules. Besides open carry of hand guns is for the most part illegal in Florida. And the rule states long gun topics are OK if open carrying hand guns are not allowed.

That isn't what the rule #14 of the Forum Rules says:........."which ban handgun carry".

Florida does not ban handgun carry.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
To succinctly answer the OP...

A long gun on foot is generally banned except for 790.25(3) "LAWFUL USES.The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

A long gun in you car is generally allowed by 790.25(5) "POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012."

Entire statute at:
http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/790.25

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
+1 StogieC :exclaim:

Well, I don't know about the rest of ya', but, ^ this ^ response is as conclusive an answer to OP that was originally needed.

I know that I've certainly learned a thing or two with this little "cluster". :eek:

Me thinks it's time *WE* lay it to a peaceful & happy, Happy, HAPPY :lol: bon voyage.

tout fini ;)

Indeed that is the way it should have been handled from the beginning.

Simple question + straight answer with cite = job well done. Obviously not too difficult for someone who knows how.

Thank you StogieC.
icon14.png

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

A long gun on foot is generally banned except for 790.25(3) "LAWFUL USES.The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;"

A long gun in you car is generally allowed by 790.25(5) "POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012."

Entire statute at:
Wow. Thank you.

The differences among states about legal transport are truly scary. Here's Ohio's rules: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

solus

Gee, why not try?

Hasn't the moderator been MORE than accommodating??

Do you enjoy conflict just for the sake of conflict?

yes!!

and tks stogie...i

grape tell john you need another star for handling this campaign !!

ipse

Last edited:

notalawyer

Entire statute at:

Succinct? Yes. But incomplete as it does not address the nuances of the law.
And it is non-responsive to the OP's question: However, I am certain in this case, that was merely a copy/paste error.
The OP was asking about going to the range, not hunting/fishing/camping. The correct sub-section in 790.25(3) is
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;
and the other sub-section of import is:
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

In a rush to be succinct one often leaves out important details.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Succinct? Yes. But incomplete as it does not address the nuances of the law.
And it is non-responsive to the OP's question: However, I am certain in this case, that was merely a copy/paste error.
The OP was asking about going to the range, not hunting/fishing/camping. The correct sub-section in 790.25(3) is
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;
and the other sub-section of import is:
(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

In a rush to be succinct one often leaves out important details.

I missed that he asked about ranges. As for (l), adequately covered by 790.25(5) unless he is taking the bus.

notalawyer

I missed that he asked about ranges. As for (l), adequately covered by 790.25(5) unless he is taking the bus.

I missed that he asked about ranges.
Trying to be succinct and avoid expanding beyond the limits of suitability? :lol:

As for (l), adequately covered by 790.25(5) unless he is taking the bus.
Others, including some courts, would disagree.
But that was all addressed in the other Forum, in explicit detail. Something that appears to be frown upon here. Sometimes.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...But that was all addressed in the other Forum, in explicit detail. Something that appears to be frown upon here. Sometimes.
Get over it, and grow up in the meanwhile.

If you've got a problem with the moderation, send a PM to the moderator, or better yet, drop a line to John Pierce.

In the meanwhile, for the sake of this thread and the forum, please stop whining.

papa bear

GRAPESHOT. maybe for some of us young guys, you could explain why the moratorium on longs guns anyway

especially in light of what TX is going through now

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
GRAPESHOT. maybe for some of us young guys, you could explain why the moratorium on longs guns anyway

especially in light of what TX is going through now

As rule #14 explains - .....long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life....