• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upset restaurant owner about OCing

UR115

Heys guys so I have a little story to share about one of my OCing experiences I had last week and today. I went into a restaurant called Flap Jacks in Tres Pinos Ca. Its a tiny family owned place in a tiny little town next to Hollister which is also a tiny town. Well to make a long story short I went in to have lunch a week ago while OCing with no issues(so I thought). Later that week my good friend and boss Steve told me the owner of Flap Jacked called him and told him she didn't like that I was OCing in her restaurant and if I did again she would call the cops. Well Steve didnt get mad he actually asked for some info on OCing so I gave it to him. So today after getting some pamphlets printed up I drove to flap jacks unarmed and introduced myself the her. I gave her the pamphlet and apologized making her feel uncomfortable in her restaurant. I told her if she didn't like me OCing she should have asked me to leave and I would have complied with no issues or scene. I told her it wouldn't happen again. Her husband kinda got mad and we talked and they gave me theirs views on why people should carry a gun in a restaurant. I told them that it is their right to not serve whoever they want as it is my right to UOC. He said he agrees with what I'm doing he just doesn't want it in his restaurant. So he said he will read the pamphlet but when I come in next time please leave my pistol in my car. Needless to say I will not be eating in there anymore unless they change their policy on OC.

So what do you guys thing? Should I have gone in and did what I did or should I have just left it alone? I figured they may be uneducated on the law and the pamphlet may enlighten them on the law and they may change their minds/UOC policy. Unlikely after the way the conversation went. There was no yelling or anything they just talked to me like I am in the wrong.

So idk who is making that list but Flap Jacks in Tres Pinos Ca is anti UOC although I dont think any of you guys will be anywhere near this little town lol

Ca Patriot

Those are the places that I hope get robbed.

If I was a store owner I would want my place packed full of OC'ers.

UR115

Haha well I don't hope they do but they are likely too. The Sheriff's Office is at least 10 minutes away on a good day and there are so many country roads the people would be gone in a second. If I owned a store I would also want Ocer in it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I think going back and giving them the flyer was a good idea. Part of open carrying is being an ambassador for the cause. If people are upset and we turn our backs on them, then they never realize that we're just normal people who might feel differently about the importance of exercising our rights. At least they know your view on open carry and you know theirs. They probably won't be changing their mind anytime soon until open carry becomes normal enough for them to not even think about it. In the meantime some other restaurant will get your hard earned dollars.

oc4ever

It is his business. If he does not like OC for whatever reason he chooses that is his right, and never going back is yours as a customer. I own a industrial business, and would not like my employees OC'ing, but most people should not worry about robbers entering a wholesale industrial chemical business to steal stuff. Nothing here is worth there time or risk. I understand his point of view (risk versus reward), but also think you did great being nice and explaining the reason you OC and trying to educate him about it. If you have a restaurant with half the people packing heat, it is not going to be robbed. If he serves alcohol, I can understand him not wanting guns mixing with the booze.

Some retail business are a bit different. There was a small donut shop in Orange County owned by a very nice Asian man. It was located in a county strip of land called Midway City. It is surrounded by 4 other incorporated cities. He gave free coffee and donuts to all the LEO's from all the surrounding towns and CHP. The place ALWAYS had a few police cars coming and going. So he gets a speeding ticket from a Highway patrolman on the freeway. He comes back to work and tapes the citation to his front business window, along with a big sign saying no more free coffee and donuts! A couple of weeks pass , and probably for the first time in many years, no police cars are at his business when he is robbed at gunpoint with his wife in his shop. Needless to say, the traffic citation and sign came down immediately, and things returned to the way they were. Free coffee and donuts Officer???

Last edited:

CenTex

Those are the places that I hope ....

I hope that you will go back and delete the above comment. You should never wish evil on good people for acting on their beliefs. That is what is happening to us and we don't like it.

I am glad that they received the pamphlet.

UR115

It is his business. If he does not like OC for whatever reason he chooses that is his right, and never going back is yours as a customer. I own a industrial business, and would not like my employees OC'ing, but most people should not worry about robbers entering a wholesale industrial chemical business to steal stuff. Nothing here is worth there time or risk. I understand his point of view (risk versus reward), but also think you did great being nice and explaining the reason you OC and trying to educate him about it. If you have a restaurant with half the people packing heat, it is not going to be robbed. If he serves alcohol, I can understand him not wanting guns mixing with the booze.

Some retail business are a bit different. There was a small donut shop in Orange County owned by a very nice Asian man. It was located in a county strip of land called Midway City. It is surrounded by 4 other incorporated cities. He gave free coffee and donuts to all the LEO's from all the surrounding towns and CHP. The place ALWAYS had a few police cars coming and going. So he gets a speeding ticket from a Highway patrolman on the freeway. He comes back to work and tapes the citation to his front business window, along with a big sign saying no more free coffee and donuts! A couple of weeks pass , and probably for the first time in many years, no police cars are at his business when he is robbed at gunpoint with his wife in his shop. Needless to say, the traffic citation and sign came down immediately, and things returned to the way they were. Free coffee and donuts Officer???

This is a little breakfast and lunch diner place kinda like Dennys. I don't think they sell alcohol but I could be wrong. But even if they do I was drinking a Pespi :) That is an interesting story. I believe open carrying deters crime. Yes those people didn't rob the donut place because there were cops there but cops carry guns which is probably the reason. Not the fear of cops the fear of getting shot. I would think robbers would be less likely to rob a place that is known for having OCing customers. Just my $0.02

UR115

I like the fact that you went back there, tried to smooth things over and gave them some educational materials. You did good. Curious, which pamphlet did you give them?

I gave them this one:

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/A_Pocket_review_of_California_Penal_Code_7th_Revision.pdf

I like the other ones but I think this one is better for public and the education of UOC.

I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers. Idk if that is a good idea tho. I would bet that our LEOs here dont know much about UOC and would treat any call as a crazy man with a gun call and I'd be yelled at, at gun point and the whole nine yards. I dont mind an (e) check here and there but I dont want an action scene from a hollywood movie every time I open carry lol

This flyer: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Last edited:

coolusername2007

I gave them this one:

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/A_Pocket_review_of_California_Penal_Code_7th_Revision.pdf

I like the other ones but I think this one is better for public and the education of UOC.

I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers. Idk if that is a good idea tho. I would bet that our LEOs here dont know much about UOC and would treat any call as a crazy man with a gun call and I'd be yelled at, at gun point and the whole nine yards. I dont mind an (e) check here and there but I dont want an action scene from a hollywood movie every time I open carry lol

This flyer: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Those are really good pamphlets for sure. But may be a little heavy for the person not interested in all the legalities of UOC. I suggest using the educational brochure located here (its the "Yet another pamphlet - PR" pamphlet, 4th one on the list) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information

I created it for the layman who has basic questions and misunderstandings about UOC. It should be a little easier read for those not interested in all the legalities.

UR115

Those are really good pamphlets for sure. But may be a little heavy for the person not interested in all the legalities of UOC. I suggest using the educational brochure located here (its the "Yet another pamphlet - PR" pamphlet, 4th one on the list) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information

I created it for the layman who has basic questions and misunderstandings about UOC. It should be a little easier read for those not interested in all the legalities.

You're right that is a good one. Well I'm not going back in to give her another one but i will go back to my friend's mom's shop and have her print me 50 of these too :) Thanks

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
He said he agrees with what I'm doing he just doesn't want it in his restaurant. So he said he will read the pamphlet but when I come in next time please leave my pistol in my car. Needless to say I will not be eating in there anymore unless they change their policy on OC.

He doesnt want your money. I would leave it at that and never darken his door again. There isnt much point to calling for some kind of boycott as our contingent isnt made of such numbers that it will have an impact.

Classy. Do you wish ill on people you have never met often? Have a growing collection of Voo Doo dolls stuck with pins?

I think going back and giving them the flyer was a good idea. Part of open carrying is being an ambassador for the cause.

^ This.

I like the fact that you went back there, tried to smooth things over and gave them some educational materials. You did good.

^ and this...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was also thinking about taking that pamphlet and the flyer to my local P.D. and S.O. and asking the receptionist if she would please post it on the bulletin board or in the briefing room for the deputies/offiers.

I personally wouldn't do so, but if you decide to just make sure to NOT open carry there as police departments are government buildings and open carry is forbidden by law.

KBCraig

You have done your best to be a good ambassador for gun rights and OC; there is nothing more you can do for this particular couple, other than remain positive in any possible future encounters.

mjones

I personally wouldn't do so, but if you decide to just make sure to NOT open carry there as police departments are government buildings and open carry is forbidden by law without a 12050 license.

Correction.
But...even with a 12050 license I don't think I would walk into a PD lobby Open Carrying.

teemgreen99

personally i would get some others to solo UOC in flap jacks, different OCers on different days. It might make them think that its something that they are going to be seeing a lot more of. I mean what are they going to do turn down a paying law abiding customer on a daily basis.