• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need an ONSTAR

William Fisher

Type set up where you can call a number when you are stopped by an LEO. The calls would have to go to a state that allows the recording of phone calls where if the caller knows it is being recorded. Picking up the voice of an officer while you are talking to the site might bypass wire tap laws. I don't know what the legality of that would be. Anyone know or have any imput.

Thank You,
William

Daylen

ONSTAR has other problems. Like turning in speeders to the police, and other such things.

KBCraig

Type set up where you can call a number when you are stopped by an LEO. The calls would have to go to a state that allows the recording of phone calls where if the caller knows it is being recorded. Picking up the voice of an officer while you are talking to the site might bypass wire tap laws. I don't know what the legality of that would be. Anyone know or have any imput.

Thank You,
William
I'm not quite sure what your concern is. You can set up a line with voicemail wherever you want it; just call and you'll be recorded.

If your state requires all-party notification or consent in order to record, then calling an out-of-state number to record the conservation won't help you on that.

William Fisher

I'm not quite sure what your concern is. You can set up a line with voicemail wherever you want it; just call and you'll be recorded.

If your state requires all-party notification or consent in order to record, then calling an out-of-state number to record the conservation won't help you on that.

Would an LEO who is picked up in a phone conversation between me and the party I'm calling, both parties giving permission to record, Is the LEO considered a party to the conversation or a bystander whos' voice is mearly picked up.

KBCraig

Would an LEO who is picked up in a phone conversation between me and the party I'm calling, both parties giving permission to record, Is the LEO considered a party to the conversation or a bystander whos' voice is mearly picked up.

If it's your intent, then yes. If you're actually having a conversation with another person, then there will be nothing useful captured. If you call someone else as a pretext to record, then chances are that's going to be pretty obvious.

Especially when you post about it on the internet beforehand. :)

N605TW

Activist Member
I thought Ohio has a one party consent law. If you are a party of a conversation YOU can consent to recording and record the conversation. So there is no need to call an out of state number or any other trickery, just record the conversations that you are apart of.

Source http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2933.52 2933.52 B 4