• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gig Harbor Costco

sudden valley gunner

Unfortunately, the common response is that some of the above are a protected class, and alas, our rights don't qualify for the same kind of consideration. Grrrrr.

Yep you are absolutely right it is the common response by those who need to be educated on what a fundamental right is. :D

Personally I think the government has no authority to protect classes of people on private property. I would rather know which stores discriminate against my friends and family so I would not spend my money there and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Lovenox

I disagree that Costco has an anti-carry policy. If they did it would be in the membership agreement. If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.

If you are talking about that secretaries email that is circulating in the net...secretaries do not make policy decisions.

It is my thought that they actually have no policy as concerns carry. It is most definately not stated one way or another in the membership agreement.

They can't possibly put everything on there...I mean is there anything about women breast feeding their babies? Bottom line: if you are asked to leave then comply. Don't try to play shithouse lawyer then get in a world of hurt legally and financially. The manager on duty is at the helm and what he/she says is "law" within those four walls. 1)Leave 2) Call corporate office to aire your grievances and seek clarification on policy. It's that simple folks.

5918mike

Note definition number two... of rationalization...(not critizing you, but using your post as way to make another point)
process of rationalizing: the process of rationalizing something, or an instance of rationalizing something

defense mechanism: in psychoanalytic theory, a defense mechanism whereby people attempt to hide their true motivations and emotions by providing reasonable or self-justifying explanations for irrational or unacceptable behavior

I find that the highlighted portion of what you said is the rationalization many use, not a true reason. I OC in Costco at least a few times a week in Bellingham and never have a problem. I OC in Banks, grocery shopping and don't seem to cause panic or nervousness.

Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?

These are arguments we can use to defend the natural fundamental right to be armed. Something I have successfully used to destroy some unreasonable rationalizations like the one you pointed out.

By the way I have carried in Bellingham Costco countless times I go there at least twice a week. Our Costco has become so crazy, they pretty much have posted a full time cop right outside the doors. And I OC right past him/her often with a smile and a nod or wave.

I agree with what you are saying.

amlevin

They can't possibly put everything on there...I mean is there anything about women breast feeding their babies? Bottom line: if you are asked to leave then comply. Don't try to play shithouse lawyer then get in a world of hurt legally and financially. The manager on duty is at the helm and what he/she says is "law" within those four walls. 1)Leave 2) Call corporate office to aire your grievances and seek clarification on policy. It's that simple folks.

Or just get a Sam's Club Card.

randian

Really? I was just in Fry's for an hour with no hassle.
I have no doubt Fry's Electronics would have such signs in Washington if they mattered. In Arizona, signs have force of law, so it was surprising that Tucson Fry's isn't stopping OC at the door. A Phoenix Fry's has very large and very conspicuous "no guns" signs on the doors.