• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Because I want to go home at night....

M

McX

tossed this out here as a thread, as i didn't know what category to put it under. hubert said once in a phone interview i heard when asked why do you carry a gun? (profound answer here) ; because i want to go home at night. that one never hit me until now; the day was finishing up and dirt blew in to the building next door. i didn't think much of it, as i was on the hip, and snug as a bug in a rug. well, dirt attracts dirt, and shortly there was 7 dirt over there, and if i came out to go home, it would have been 7 of their smiling faces, and me, pinned up along side my building. so riding the bike was out. so i set a spell, and mulled it over. then hubert's message came across the brain waves. i went to my pick up, pulled it out. as i left, i went from holster, as i hoisted my leg into the truck, separating prescious into 2 parts as i broke the plane of the cab, and into the case, on the front seat, and remained open until i locked the door on the truck, then close, and carry in a debatable but theoretically approved car carry method. yeah, i know i might have concealed, but i am a law abiding citizen, and realy didn't want to quasimoto it out of there with prescious under my shirt. plus heat interaction doesn't look good while cc. we played it by the book, in accordance with the laws, and what all of you have taught me, and lookin' good for the movement. call the cops to watch me leave? nah, they were probably buisy doing cop stuff, plus i had no direct evidence to support a threat, just a feeling. the dirt knew and saw i carried, right up till i drove away. they left me be. i went home tonight, felt good with prescious close to me, and guarding me right up to the end. thanks hubert, i went home tonight.

protias

hubert said once in a phone interview i heard when asked why do you carry a gun? (profound answer here) ; because i want to go home at night.

I'm going to use that one if I'm every asked!

AdamXD

ManyManyMany times, I did not unholster and unload until the doors were locked. Complete compliance with 167.31 before the engine turns over.

I wouldn't stake that opinion against a jury. In my understanding, 167.31 says nothing about the car needing to be running. It simple says "vehicle."

But would this still apply if said vehicle is on private property that is owned by the person in the vehicle?

"167.31(4)
(4) Exceptions.
167.31(4)(bt)5.
5. The vehicle is being operated entirely on private property and is not being operated in the right-of-way of any highway."

I believe the term "operated" is very tricky here. If LOEs can demand your ID (papers/license) for simply knowing that you drove your car, meaning it's not on your property, and sees something that would create a hazard while driving, they can ticket you. This may not be an approved method as per Law Enforcement books, but I have seen several people get ticketed for something being wrong with their car when they were not stopped while driving their car.
Similar to people getting arrested for DUI (attempted) while sleeping off their drinks in the back of their car. They weren't "operating" the vehicle, but got busted anyway.

Also, if I read correctly, this applies to Disabled hunters or hunters with a class A or B license, what about everyday citizens who aren't hunting?

*ADDITION*

I am NOT condemning anyone's actions. Unholstering, unloading and encasing AFTER the door is locked is the safest method of action in a bad area. In light of MKEGal's unpleasant encounter with LEOs overstepping their power, one "should" err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
M

McX

i hope i didn't go into the 'grey area' using my methodology, but there were 7 of them, and one of me, and ofcourse prescious. they could have pearl harbored me real easy on my motorcycle, plus they would have saw me disarm. i had spent an extra half hour there, waiting and hoping they would leave. but i wanted to go home- that's all. using the truck they couldn't see me disarm, and they had no clue what i did once i got into the truck. nothing happened, and i know that, but what could have? you have to judge that. looks like old prescious is going to have to pull double duty; shop gun, and vehicle gun from now on.

BROKENSPROKET

i hope i didn't go into the 'grey area' using my methodology, but there were 7 of them, and one of me, and ofcourse prescious. they could have pearl harbored me real easy on my motorcycle, plus they would have saw me disarm. i had spent an extra half hour there, waiting and hoping they would leave. but i wanted to go home- that's all. using the truck they couldn't see me disarm, and they had no clue what i did once i got into the truck. nothing happened, and i know that, but what could have? you have to judge that. looks like old prescious is going to have to pull double duty; shop gun, and vehicle gun from now on.

Everytime you use the word 'precious', scenes from the Lord of the Rings triology floods into my head.

Was the 'dirt' just hanging out or did you feel you were being cased?

M

McX

i got to learn how to spell precious right. well, the few that showed up at first weren't too bad, but the rest that came didn't look too great to me. they were milling about outside, and in and out of a building they had been ordered to vacate and close, up by the city, nearly a year ago. as far as we could tell- us being the local merchants in my vicinity; they had been using the building to store items of questionable origin, keep a dog in, and had allies with some of the scummier businesses down the street. lucky i had the truck there, and not just the motorcycle. thought of this later; i could have ordered a pizza, if i was stuck there with nothing but the bike, and ridden out of there with the pizza delivery guy, if he would have even stopped once he saw that bunch. but i'm patting myself on the back- i got to go home!

added on edit; thought it would be good to post my credo here, seems valid to me, and expresses the moment;

i see it all crystal clear, so i keep my pistol near,
heart's never full of fear, homey i stay well aware,
of what's going on around me, m****r f8888s want me dead,
so i put a smile on my face- go through life, finish my time here.

Last edited:
M

McX

i'm going to be adding in, precious wants to stay at the shop. so i'm getting a markarov something or other. going to call it smacky, smacky and precious. smacky will be the vehicle gun. criminals take note.

B

bhancock

I am NOT condemning anyone's actions. Unholstering, unloading and encasing AFTER the door is locked is the safest method of action in a bad area. In light of MKEGal's unpleasant encounter with LEOs overstepping their power, one "should" err on the side of caution.

Fighting a stop for illegal transportation seems more pleasant than having bullets plucked out by a doctor or having stitches hold you back together for a while, or having your wife stare at your casket all the while wondering why you didn't have your gun at the ready. I'll pay a fine and fight for equal protection of the right before I would let that happen.

SlackwareRobert

ManyManyMany times, I did not unholster and unload until the doors were locked. Complete compliance with 167.31 before the engine turns over.

Well I guess you can look into the chevy volt, engine won't start for about 40 miles if you believe the hype.
For safety I can't see not carrying a revolver, much safer to pop the wheel in and out than rechamber the rounds in a semi all the time Six shots should give you enough time to slap a mag in the semi. Although seven dirts with crack backbone seeing a six shooter could cause other issues.

I think 'precious' almost fits, guns are evil and you see her when you take the gun off, so sort of anti-precious, not evil and invisible when not being used.

+1 on going home safe, -1 terrabyte on crazy vehicle laws endangering everyone.
Though we have nothing to brag about down here on that front either.

AdamXD

Fighting a stop for illegal transportation seems more pleasant than having bullets plucked out by a doctor or having stitches hold you back together for a while, or having your wife stare at your casket all the while wondering why you didn't have your gun at the ready. I'll pay a fine and fight for equal protection of the right before I would let that happen.

That's why I put should in quotes. I would do exactly what McX did.

M

McX

Gentlemen, i had no desire to break the law. i had no desire to be a test case. My only concern was protecting myself in accordance with the law to the letter. I did NOT try to interpret, nor angle the law, only to adhere to it. Every action i took, every movement i made was based on my understanding, and desire to be in full compliance of the law, while guarenteeing my personal safety. My 'reach' in this case was to go with the hotly debated unloaded, encased, front seat carry. Circumstances forced that segment of my actions upon me. Generally i err toward encased, unloaded, out of reach. Since no one came forward to challenge my actions, and no Police showed up after i posted the incident in a public forum, i believe my actions were acceptable, and met the guidelines of law abiding, good conduct, and a credit to the organizations i am envolved in. I seek no special priveledge, only my rights, and my right to protect myself, in accordance with the law, in any circumstance thrust upon me. i beleive that is the goal of everyone here, or reading here; to be known as a responsible, law abiding citizen.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Agree. I Would Have Done The Same Thing. It is always better to go home alive!

I always transport my handgun on the front seat next to me unloaded and encased. The out of reach argument makes no sense at all. ATV's, bicycles, anything similar in size the firearm will never be "out of reach". Heck, I see ATV's here in Wisconsin with the gun case mounted across the handlebars.

From the Wisconsin State Patrol website: "What is the legal method of carrying a weapon in my vehicle in Wisconsin?"

"With the weapon cased and unloaded. Applies to firearms and bow hunting equipment."

Link: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/statepatrol/enforcement/faqs-enforcement.htm

Scroll to bottom under "Miscellaneous".