• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Tattoo's.

zekester

Maybe it is just Missouri?

I get more looks because I have a Mustache than my tats or the weapon...guess I am just a 50yr old fart that should know better....LOL

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Would y'all agree that people's reaction to tattoos, with or without OC, is a factor of the following:

1. Region: Some parts of the country, you will get more of a negative reaction than you will in others. Even in the parts where you don't usually get a negative reaction, there are pockets where you will.

2. Age: I would think a twenty-to-thirty-something would be more likely to garner negative attention than an older person. On the other hand, the older person is liable to hear, "Look at that old fool!!":lol:

3. Dress: I would think neatly dressed, as in neat jeans and shirt, would be less likely to attract negative attention than someone who looks like a dirtbag.

4. Demeanor: A person who is going about his/her business with a smile is far less likely to trigger negative feelings than one who is frowning/looks disagreeable.

5. Visible piercings: I think that, combined with ink, numerous visible piercings may make a negative reaction more likely.

I am not tattooed (very long story involving my early military career) but I don't have a problem with those who are. I am very much in favor of adults being able to make their own choices without regard to what I, or anyone else, think about them.

Jeff Hayes

I OC in the summer with this showing, I am 59 so I guess I am one of the old fools, LOL

Attachments

• moulon labe.jpg
    moulon labe.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 540

OldCurlyWolf

I have the same concerns and also would like peoples opinion on it. I have a bunch of tattoos on my right arm, half sleeve, forearm, wrist, and plan on getting many more tattoos eventually.

I haven't OC'd, but I know people already look at me differently, so I have a feeling I'll get hassled more than some of the other OC'ers.

LEO's still look at persons with tattoos as persons "outside the mainstream" and therefore are worthy of extra attention as to their actions and intentions. This is very understandable from their viewpoint when one considers all those sporting "Gang and Prison" tats. Also there as been some importation of Yakuza into the US with their distinctive style of tats.

Now If you only have a max of about 4 that are not gang, yakuza or prison related, you are not nearly as likely to be more strictly observed as you are if every visible skin area has at least one tat.

Think about it. People, however nice and law abiding they may be, who have a lot of tattoos have a different mindset than the majority. Doesn't mean they are bad, just different.:cool:

OldCurlyWolf

I get more looks because I have a Mustache than my tats or the weapon...guess I am just a 50yr old fart that should know better....LOL

Grow a beard to go with it. Us old greybeards don't usually get those nasty looks.

Little tykes always look at me like they are wondering "Is that really Santa?".

:cool:

KiltedRonin

Here is my right arm.

Well, this is the big one on my right arm. If you're inked, you'll understand, every single scale was tattooed with a 3 liner. 11 hours in just scales. Eastern Diamond, all thirteen rattles are present. Happens to be my strong side too ;)

Image-4514625-120528970-2-Web_0_220643ab1639b290db13f8a393e10315_1

Image-4514625-120528972-2-Web_0_35e59acd9c5302510d7960d0356ea0c7_1

Wraiths and skulls for all the men and women that gave all for our rights.
Image-4514625-120528968-2-Web_0_09a8a7c748458bf44d1f5234cef98e67_1

Notice the skull with the tri-corn on it.
Image-4514625-120528971-2-Web_0_953b95813a709b7e386a0f5180fbbbdc_1

not carrying in these photo's cause I knew it was a photo shoot, and I knew I was going to have them up on social networking sites.

I love my ink, and one of these days I might actually get a big tattoo..
thank you guys for the support.
OH, and I never colored on myself as a kid either. ;)

celticredneck

I'm guessing from your handle that you also wear the kilt. How do you carry when kilted. I can't seem to find a holster which works with my wide kilt belts. They are 2 and 1/2" wide. I also wonder which gets more looks, the kilt, the pistol or the tattoos. Personally if I saw you, I'd probably be interested in another kilted guy who carries, and overlook the tattoos.

turbodog

As someone with full sleeves I have also wondered about reactions when OCing. Those of us with a lot of ink are, as someone pointed out "outside the mainstream" already. Those who OC are also in that category. Double wammy on us who are both. It's definitely a "book by the cover" thing and all one can do is be polite and courteous when dealing with those we interact with. As we should do anyway as OCer's tatted or not. Sometimes that works to disarm (no pun intended) their fears, sometimes it doesn't. Getting tattoo'd was a choice, so is carrying that sidearm, we each deal with reactions to tats, guns or both our own way based on concerns or experiences.

Glad you brought up the subject.

BTW, that's some nice ink ya got ronin, excellent choice of art and very good work by your inkman.

KiltedRonin

I'm guessing from your handle that you also wear the kilt. How do you carry when kilted. I can't seem to find a holster which works with my wide kilt belts. They are 2 and 1/2" wide. I also wonder which gets more looks, the kilt, the pistol or the tattoos. Personally if I saw you, I'd probably be interested in another kilted guy who carries, and overlook the tattoos.

I do wear a kilt quite often (I claim every bit of my little teeny Scottish blood) I modified a kydex IWB holster for wearing with my kilt, I also have a thigh drop holster that has been modified to carry under the kilt, drawing your weapon looks like you're showing some leg to catch a ride *grin* AND in my modern kilts I have been known to use a leather duty belt.. so I have been thinking of picking up a nice duty holster to go with it.

triple whammy now that you mention it, an obviously Asian guy wearing a Kilt, covered in tattoos, AND carrying a gun.. I think a MWAG call might just pop a dispatcher's head...

Alude904

Everyone who gets inked knows before hand that they will be judged down the road so no one can complain about being judged with the combination of a firearm. You were the one who chose where you wanted the tatt so dont complain. I have a couple fairly large tatts and i thought it out before i got them about how it would affect me later on in life. I decided i want to enjoy the art of tattoos while at the same time keep my appearance professional. I think people who are all covered look pretty sweet, dont get me wrong, i just think they shouldnt complain down the road. Im also not saying that anyone on this thread is complaining but everyone is sure thinking about it.

Alude904

I do wear a kilt quite often (I claim every bit of my little teeny Scottish blood) I modified a kydex IWB holster for wearing with my kilt, I also have a thigh drop holster that has been modified to carry under the kilt, drawing your weapon looks like you're showing some leg to catch a ride *grin* AND in my modern kilts I have been known to use a leather duty belt.. so I have been thinking of picking up a nice duty holster to go with it.

triple whammy now that you mention it, an obviously Asian guy wearing a Kilt, covered in tattoos, AND carrying a gun.. I think a MWAG call might just pop a dispatcher's head...

Haha thats awsome. I can appreciate that because im half scottish and half filipino. Ive always wanted to carry with a thigh rig but at the same time i think its too much for the public.

HeroHog

My ink is hidden as it is high up on my shoulder and a standard T-Shirt covers it just fine.

tatF0511.jpg

For John Simoneaux, my guitar player/front man (RIP) who's Scout "Indian Name" was "Purple Buffalo". :D

JOHN_03.jpg

Last edited:

Sc0tt

F*** Em, Freedom of expression and the RTBA are two of the greatest freedoms we enjoy. I only have one tattoo that can be seen in short selves. When I was in the Army I got LEFT tattooed on my left hand. But I have my ears gauged to a 4g right now. I get a ton of people with the usually comment. You cant be a cop you have earnings and tattoos so what are you doing with a gun. I find sometimes it can be a great conversation starter as well as a chance to educate.

hipoint9.jpg

Last edited:

KiltedRonin

ok... I smell a story behind the tattoo on your hand.. ive actually been thinking of getting
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ on my wrist, below the DTOM, but we both know the reasoning behind that one ;)

eye95

"[expletive deleted] them!" is a silly attitude. Dismissing the thinking of others out of hand is the surest way to get others to disrespect your thinking. I am not saying that you should change your thinking in deference to others, just that you should have the same respect for others that you demand for yourself.

Maybe some folks simply don't want others to respect their ideas. However, that is also silly--a silly bit of self-centeredness. All of our best interests are wrapped up in others. It is far more effective win over some others (in the full recognition that another group of some others will be lost) than it is to dismiss all others as inconsequential.

Lady Glock

I tend to once over people who have the look, but I'm ultra observant to begin with due to being a survivor. Anyone who enters my "space" is suspect, and I will pull myself farther into the space and prepare for the worse.

I have many friends who are inked and I have a few tattoos myself. I couldn't ask for a more gentle breed of friends and I have learned over time that they can be trusted...nobody is trusted until I'm sure of them though...it's not about the ink or lack of it, it's about my own comfort levels.