• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told by my credit union I cannot carry there

manicdevery

I have been carrying into this credit union for over a couple years and today a lady confronted me and this is pretty much how it went

She - Sir, you can't have that in here
Me - Legally I can
She - No you can't (as she points to the front door) its posted on our. . . well it used to be (then mumbled something about a fire drill or something inaudable)
Me - There has never been a sign that is why I have been doing it
She - Well that's our policy
Me - I am licensed to carry it this way
She - I belive you are, but if you get jumped then everybody in here is in danger
Me - I am sorry you feel that way and though i don't understand your policy I will respect it.

That was it pretty much how it went down. so if I would have been CCing there they would never have said anything and i could defend myself. I kick myself for not having an audio recording. haven't had any altercations in such a long time I've almost forgot about my trusty recorder. I think I am going to write them a letter. let me know your thoughts on the situation.

Devery

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I have been carrying into this credit union for over a couple years and today a lady confronted me and this is pretty much how it went

She - Sir, you can't have that in here
Me - Legally I can
She - No you can't (as she points to the front door) its posted on our. . . well it used to be (then mumbled something about a fire drill or something inaudable)
Me - There has never been a sign that is why I have been doing it
She - Well that's our policy
Me - I am licensed to carry it this way
She - I belive you are, but if you get jumped then everybody in here is in danger
Me - I am sorry you feel that way and though i don't understand your policy I will respect it.

That was it pretty much how it went down. so if I would have been CCing there they would never have said anything and i could defend myself. I kick myself for not having an audio recording. haven't had any altercations in such a long time I've almost forgot about my trusty recorder. I think I am going to write them a letter. let me know your thoughts on the situation.

Devery

I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."

Fallschirjmäger

1) Thank you, and as a member and partial owner of this union, may I have your name to bring up at the next board member's meeting?
2) and thanks again, I shall be sure to mention your name when I tell customer retention why I am withdrawing my money from this institution and recommending all my friends to the same, and recounting this meeting as widely as I can and recommending to everyone I meet that they also withdraw their money.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."

Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.:mad::mad::mad:

maustin195

Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.:mad::mad::mad:

i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.

eastmeyers

Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.

manicdevery

I did not ask for the manager, I was immediatly wondering how I am going to word this letter i am going to send.

I do not know everything that will be in the letter but one thing will be, "I will be a drive through costumer only until this issue is resolved, The only thing my carrying a firearm has done is raise money for toys for tots, carehouses and many other activities that benefit the community." I thought about just closing my account but i think that i am going to be patient for a minute and see what i can get out of this. I think i personally thought every comment you guys put on this post so far.

Devery

PDinDetroit

i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.

This!

From the conversation relayed above, I would assume it is just this one person until proven otherwise by the Manager. I would go back and speak with the manager and have applicable laws and other information printed out with me for discussion purposes (MCL 750.234d, MCL 28.425o, MSP Legal Update #86, etc).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I did not ask for the manager, I was immediatly wondering how I am going to word this letter i am going to send.

I do not know everything that will be in the letter but one thing will be, "I will be a drive through costumer only until this issue is resolved, The only thing my carrying a firearm has done is raise money for toys for tots, carehouses and many other activities that benefit the community." I thought about just closing my account but i think that i am going to be patient for a minute and see what i can get out of this. I think i personally thought every comment you guys put on this post so far.

Devery
Get rid of the drive thru crap, tell them you will close all accounts and do business elsewhere if they don't change their "policy". Lots of other CUs and banks..

B

Bikenut

Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

2. There are various descriptions of agents, to whom different appellations are given according to the nature of their employments; as brokers, factors, supercargoes, attorneys, and the like; they are all included in this general term. The authority is created either by deed, by simple writing, by parol, or by mere employment, according to the capacity of the parties, or the nature of the act to be done. It is, therefore, express or implied. Vide Authority.

It would seem to me that any employee can be, could be, or is, an "agent" of the owner as long as the owner is willing to let a teller, janitor, secretary, snow removal guy, lawn caretaker, what ever, have the authority to require folks to leave the business. Somehow my cynical nature makes me tend to believe the owner/manager would side with the employee after the fact anyway.

Correct? Incorrect?

eastmeyers

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

2. There are various descriptions of agents, to whom different appellations are given according to the nature of their employments; as brokers, factors, supercargoes, attorneys, and the like; they are all included in this general term. The authority is created either by deed, by simple writing, by parol, or by mere employment, according to the capacity of the parties, or the nature of the act to be done. It is, therefore, express or implied. Vide Authority.

It would seem to me that any employee can be, could be, or is, an "agent" of the owner as long as the owner is willing to let a teller, janitor, secretary, snow removal guy, lawn caretaker, what ever, have the authority to require folks to leave the business. Somehow my cynical nature makes me tend to believe the owner/manager would side with the employee after the fact anyway.

Correct? Incorrect?

Very true, but unless it she made it known to me that she was in fact the owner or an agent of the owner, I stand by my previous statement. If she claimed to be the owner or agent, I would do my research and find out if she in fact is. If she is not, I would personally print off the definition of fraud, and the laws regarding it, and hand it to her, telling her that I would be nice and not press charges, for her ignorance, as long as I received an apology. But then again, I am a softy. :p I would of course be polite while doing this, as I always am while I OC.

RenegadeMarine

Today my fiance and I (OCing of course) went to her credit union to add my name to her accounts. So I guess that means it is my credit union now too lol. Anyway, there were no signs posted, we were there for about 45 mins, spoke with several employees, no comments, no weird looks, just great service. They even printed our new debt cards right on the spot!