• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Troy, MO

lincomores

Since you made the meeting, can you speak to the size of the support? I left work at about 11:15 pm and it would be interesting to know what kind of a call to arms we were able to rally with less than 24 hours. From the feed back I got, pretty much none of the citizenry of Troy was aware of said meeting.

5 citizens attended. Two I know. One, I met tonight. One man sat in the back that I didn't know and who did not speak and then a woman lawyer sat behind me.

Here is what I posted on our local forum after the meeting:
"To the credit of our City Council, the proposed ordinance seeking to ban open carry in the City of Troy (or at least reduce it to uselessness) was voted down "unanimously."

For the sake of clarity, lawful citizens can open carry within the City limits of Troy, MO. All laws concerning unlawful use of a weapon are in force, of course.
This action affirms the general pro 2nd amendment flavor of our Community.

Thanks to the Alderman of Ward 3, Gerard Hagedorn and Dennis Detert, for their willingness to assist me in asking for clarity on this law and their common sense attitude toward our Constitutional right.
But keep in mind, this was a "unanimous" vote that carried the personal support of our Mayor, Mark Cross, and our Chief of Police, Jeff Taylor.
Thank you to our City Attorney for his thoroughness in meeting this issue.

And a special mention of our City Clerk, Karen Hotfelder.

Admittedly, it was more or less a "knee-jerk" reaction with no malicious intent to infringe on our rights.

Well done.

This started off with an inquiry I made into what our Municipal code actually said about open carry.
It ended with the City Counsel upholding our 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.

I will now proceed with arranging a get together with other 2nd A's.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I will now proceed with arranging a get together with other 2nd A's.

Please in all sincerity, if you have no objections I would like to communicate with you regarding it and offer my assistance to help you host such an event at whatever capacity you see fit. I have some ideas if you would like to engage in PM’s I will indeed share those thoughts with you.

Thank you for bringing it to everyone’s attention and allowing us to offer the assistance we did, however effective it may have been, it was a real ream effort on many persons part.

lincomores

Please in all sincerity, if you have no objections I would like to communicate with you regarding it and offer my assistance to help you host such an event at whatever capacity you see fit. I have some ideas if you would like to engage in PM’s I will indeed share those thoughts with you.

Thank you for bringing it to everyone’s attention and allowing us to offer the assistance we did, however effective it may have been, it was a real ream effort on many persons part.

Absolutely.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
No wonder I usually end up feeling violated.

(Cue reference to assless chaps)

There is a rumor around about such things and it seems that they tend to draw a ream effort and sometimes a team effort as well.

Do you think tony ever thought such a quick joke would take on such a life?

I am thinking we should buy him a set to model and then sell raffle tickets, I wonder what the number might be for "tony's assless chaps" lol.

I really hope we do not screw around and start a new fashion fad!!!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Time for a "DAY" and dinner in Troy!
Do they have retail and dining facilities there?

LOL yea, they have a walmart and a great wall buffet. They have quite a bit there, liken it to wentzville a few years ago.

Superlite27

Time for a "DAY" and dinner in Troy!
Do they have retail and dining facilities there?

Yes, as we make slow progress catching up with the rest of the modern world, several have appeared down the cowpath from the mud huts we all live in up here. One, a place called a "CONOCO" where those crazy folks with those newfangled "iron horses" pour a substance called "gasoline" into their noisy automobile machines, has a gunbuster sign sewn to it's tent flap. It is the only such place with one of these in our village that I am aware of.

mspgunner

My wife and I took ride up to Troy.... Lots of places to eat on the main drag. We went to IMOs for a late lunch. It's one of the rare times I OC'd by myself. My wife doesn't carry.... I figured there was a good amount of local press about OC and I knew darn good and well the LEOs are up to snuff. All went well of course. A Let's get together for dinner in Troy is certainly a good idea, it's not far from the STL area and IMOs with their $5.60 or so buffet will certainly fit any budget. I don't want to buck the Chevy's tour but this is probably a good idea since their City Council just made a great decision about 2A rights.
One fella from Troy would certainly get his one and only break on a drive for a gathering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is (in part) the letter I'm mailing to the Honorable Mayor of the City of Troy, Missouri. I hope you will send along thanks as well:
7/3/2011

The Honorable Mayor Mark Cross
800 Cap Au Gris
Troy Missouri 63379

Dear Mayor Cross,

The word quickly spread through the World Wide Web discussion groups how Troy Missouri did not respond with a knee jerk reaction to a proposed ordinance to “ban” open carry of firearms. Most of Missouri remains a viable choice for open carry. Most of Missouri recognizes and supports the Missouri Constitution and the second Amendment of the Bill of Rights of the United States of America. Many of us law abiding citizens appreciate the action of you and the City Council of Troy. Today my wife and I spent the day in Troy, shopping and eating at a local restaurant. In what I hope will not be too long from now a group of us will travel to Troy for a day outing for shopping and dining.

I and many I associate with avoid Cities who act to deny us our right to keep and bear arms. You have a very nice community and wish you and the City of Troy nothing but success and happiness in the future.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

mspgunner

I say an IMO's lunch or dinner in Troy would be a super idea...

The IMOs was good! Buffett pizza for $6.50 or so...
My calender is getting full.
I've not heard back from the Mayor as yet.

I suppose a "Sunday" in August would work!
I'd like to hold for a date for now,, if some one is big on booking the dare feel free. BTW, it's the second Troy exit if headed that way on 61 from STL. Make a left and it's just down the road a bit before Wal-Mart.

lincomores

The IMOs was good! Buffett pizza for $6.50 or so...
My calender is getting full.
I've not heard back from the Mayor as yet.

I suppose a "Sunday" in August would work!
I'd like to hold for a date for now,, if some one is big on booking the dare feel free. BTW, it's the second Troy exit if headed that way on 61 from STL. Make a left and it's just down the road a bit before Wal-Mart.

Well...it would be interesting, to say the least, to see what Mayor Cross really thinks about open carry and our 2A.
He owns the Imos.

He is just another "good ole' boy" up here in Troy. I would use the term "less than honorable" Mayor Mark Cross. In the meeting about the proposed ban on OC, he voiced his opinion that he didn't support it, however he did not cast a vote as he is merely the tie breaker vote.
It was an obviously unpopular position to support the ban and I'm sure he didn't want to be on the wrong side.

You say that you open carried there when you visited? Did anyone notice, that you are aware of? Was the Mayor actually there and speak with you?

As I said, It would be "very" interesting to say the least.

mspgunner

Well...it would be interesting, to say the least, to see what Mayor Cross really thinks about open carry and our 2A.
He owns the Imos.

He is just another "good ole' boy" up here in Troy. I would use the term "less than honorable" Mayor Mark Cross. In the meeting about the proposed ban on OC, he voiced his opinion that he didn't support it, however he did not cast a vote as he is merely the tie breaker vote.
It was an obviously unpopular position to support the ban and I'm sure he didn't want to be on the wrong side.

You say that you open carried there when you visited? Did anyone notice, that you are aware of? Was the Mayor actually there and speak with you?

As I said, It would be "very" interesting to say the least.

People did notice, no ne said a thing. I wouldn't know the mayor if he stood right in front of me.