• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buy the man a Steak Dinner

amlevin

And then give him a marksmanship badge.

An attempted escape from Clallam Bay Correctional Facility around 10:00 AM today:
Kevin Newland, 25, was shot when he drove the forklift through the doors of the work area and into the perimeter fences, Department of Corrections spokesman Chad Lewis said.

A correctional officer fired one shot at Newland, killing him, Lewis said.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/a...ate-dead-at-clallam-bay-prison-after-shooting

Apparently the "Tacoma Mall Shooter" took an officer hostage at the same time, reason not explained.

IMHO it's unfortunate that he too wasn't shot and killed.

More info:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crim...er-involved-in-deadly-attempted-prison-break/

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Really!!! How about a month off and some counseling? I know what you are saying and I understand the sentiment but seriously he just had to kill a man.

kenshin

Really!!! How about a month off and some counseling? I know what you are saying and I understand the sentiment but seriously he just had to kill a man.

...A man who strangled a woman to death. Sorry, but I wouldn't have a moments hesitation doing the same thing the officer did and wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it either. Newland choose to murder that woman and then choose to try and escape from prison. He risked is own life and lost on the gamble.

amlevin

Guards that are placed in the position where they have to shoot an escaping felon more likely than not have had some psychological screening, not only to make sure that they will pull the trigger when necessary but also not fall apart if they do.

I would think that if interviewed, and allowed to speak freely, most guards in this position wouldn't loose a wink of sleep over shooting some of those in their custody. The Courts have already found them guilty of the crimes they were charged with. They are placed in the high security locations based on their behavior and likelihood they will be a danger to others.

These aren't nice people behind those bars and fencing. There is no question of killing an innocent person here, just a case of "one less waste of DNA".

You're right, I should re-think my statement. Not just a Steak Dinner and Medal, Make that a month at a nice resort to "recuperate". He did society a favor. One that more guards than you know would be more than happy to step up and perform given the proper circumstance.

On a side note: I was driving past San Quentin back in the early 90's. Noticed some Rifle Range silhouette targets across the road from the prison wall and tower. They were facing the prison. Apparently the guards in the tower occasionally used them for practice from their duty stations. Prisoners there are well aware that crossing the "Dead Line" means just that.

Jeff Hayes

Amlevin I am quite aware of how vile this guy was. I am not questining the legality of shooting him or the neccessity, I 100% support what was done no 2nd thoughts at all from me.

Celebrating someones death anyones death by buying a "Steak Dinner" for the shooter is simply not OK with me. I dont see how this pertains to OC and I dont see how this thread helps carry our movement forward. I do see how this thread gives ammo to the antis.

This is my last post here on OC for a while, Im going to give it a break and I am going to give OC a break for a while. More and more OCDO is moving off topic and more and more I see stuff that I dont want to be associated with. Those that have my email and/or phone please feel free to contact me if you need the banner etc.

Tacitus42

I would even throw in a Lobster tail!! Btw i am still OCing, does that make it ok to post Orphan?

amlevin

Celebrating someones death anyones death by buying a "Steak Dinner" for the shooter is simply not OK with me. .

Or you can view it from the point of rewarding someone in an official capacity for doing his job well, which is increasingly rare today in many government run agencies. This officer not only did his job, he was very effective in doing so and his actions will have a lasting effect on those he is guarding the public from.

He'll be "second-guessed" enough by the flaming lib's out there but not from me.

Hammer

Or you can view it from the point of rewarding someone in an official capacity for doing his job well, which is increasingly rare today in many government run agencies. This officer not only did his job, he was very effective in doing so and his actions will have a lasting effect on those he is guarding the public from.

He'll be "second-guessed" enough by the flaming lib's out there but not from me.

Perhaps a redirect of the reward to say
"Well done efficient use of state provided ammunition"
Now we have a more PC statement

Hammer

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attacks / inappropriate / vulgarity

Out to make new friends and influence people, are ya?
How's that working out for ya?
If you find yourself feeling unwelcome here, it's not paranoia, you'd be right.
Everyone here does not share the same opinion, but those who stay have some respect for one another.
Name calling and broad generalizations won't find you favor here.
If you're wandering around OCing carrying this kind of 'tude, you're part of the problem, not the solution.

amlevin

Is this a new forum member? Or an old Forum member that has created a new account so he can be a horse's butt and toss out a few personal attacks that he didn't have the gonads to do under his existing screen persona?

Too bad he hasn't learned that when you disagree with someones comments, you either toss it back in a civil manner or just ignore and move on.

Does raise the question as to whether he has the maturity and impulse control necessary to carry a firearm, open or concealed.

Last edited:

Dem0072

A fork lift? Seriously?

Part of an escape requires not getting caught... you can't hide or be subtle with a fork lift! Then again maybe he saw it in a movie somewhere.

There you go, blame it on movie night!