• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How's that "gun free" zone working out for ya?

MKEgal

Another gunman in another courthouse.
As far as I can figure out from the video, only the criminal died, though 4 officers were charged for killing him (stopping his planned mass murder).
[video=youtube;sX7fOa9eBTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX7fOa9eBTw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
An extremely small amount of information gained.

GFZ - total, abject failure. They guarantee that people are at the mercy of the criminal's ability.

hermannr

How about this one from today (near Seattle) http://www.king5.com/news/Reports-of-shooting-near-Issaquah-High-School-130501763.html

I don't watch the video online as I am on dialup, but I did watch it on this evenings news...look for when the say "the man left his car" and then they pan on to show a Toyota with California license plates!

Anyway, the gunman met no immeadiate resistance, even here in WA Hgh school (football) sporting event is one of our few GFZ we still have....

Just thought of something: as this guy shot off so many rounds, but hit no-one...I wonder, was this a case of suicide by cop?

Last edited:

Haz.

It aint working Down Under.

*The only way to defeat brutality is with extreme & greater brutality. Gabe Suarez
*Norway: when seconds count, the police are only 90min away.
*Milwaukee: when seconds count, the police are only 14min away.
*A true gentleman provides covering fire while a lady is reloading.
*Down Under: When seconds count, Our over worked under staffed and under paid police sometimes dont come at all?

My wife had reason to call police one night some years ago. I was away working she was home alone. She told police there was someone firing a high power centerfire rifle near by our house, at least 10 rounds had been fired and the shooter was still firing, and she was afraid. The sargent asked the usual stupid questions. Q. How do you know its a rifle being fired? A. My husband hunts regurlarly and I accompany him, he has high powered rifles! I know what they sound like. Q. How far away do you think the shooter is? A. Rather close, I'm frightened.
Police response; Look were short staffed tonight and very busy. If the shooter continues, and you are still frightened, give us a call back! The shooter continued, one hour later she called back only to get the same reply. She called again some time after that, gave her name and address to police who said they would swing by when they have time. Its been a few years since that event, in fact it was just before the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania and were still waiting.

These days I do get regular safe keeping checks carried out by police. I ask police how they find the time to do regular safekeeping checks when they are so busy chasing criminals? Answer; We dont like doing safe keeping checks, we are ordered to do them by our area commander. Its the Law you know. Oh, I know it is. Q. Do you think my 200lb gun safe might one day unbolt itself from the concret floor and run away with my firearms when I'm not looking? Police, A. Smart arse, "laughing" of corse.

All of Australia is a gun free zone. It aint working at all. Read the thread on this board who needs a gun in Australia and you will get my drift.

Badger Johnson

Wait...the 4 police were -CHARGED- for killing him? Charged with what? Did all four put bullets in him? I have to see this (off to read more).

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
*The only way to defeat brutality is with extreme & greater brutality. Gabe Suarez
*Norway: when seconds count, the police are only 90min away.
*Milwaukee: when seconds count, the police are only 14min away.
*A true gentleman provides covering fire while a lady is reloading.
*Down Under: When seconds count, Our over worked under staffed and under paid police sometimes dont come at all?

My wife had reason to call police one night some years ago. I was away working she was home alone. She told police there was someone firing a high power centerfire rifle near by our house, at least 10 rounds had been fired and the shooter was still firing, and she was afraid. The sargent asked the usual stupid questions. Q. How do you know its a rifle being fired? A. My husband hunts regurlarly and I accompany him, he has high powered rifles! I know what they sound like. Q. How far away do you think the shooter is? A. Rather close, I'm frightened.
Police response; Look were short staffed tonight and very busy. If the shooter continues, and you are still frightened, give us a call back! The shooter continued, one hour later she called back only to get the same reply. She called again some time after that, gave her name and address to police who said they would swing by when they have time. Its been a few years since that event, in fact it was just before the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania and were still waiting.

These days I do get regular safe keeping checks carried out by police. I ask police how they find the time to do regular safekeeping checks when they are so busy chasing criminals? Answer; We dont like doing safe keeping checks, we are ordered to do them by our area commander. Its the Law you know. Oh, I know it is. Q. Do you think my 200lb gun safe might one day unbolt itself from the concret floor and run away with my firearms when I'm not looking? Police, A. Smart arse, "laughing" of corse.

All of Australia is a gun free zone. It aint working at all. Read the thread on this board who needs a gun in Australia and you will get my drift.

Question if I may.

Can the police come at any time and enter your home at their whim or do they have to notify you first and arrive with a warrant? Can you refuse them entrance onto your land and/or into your home?

Haz.

Question if I may.

Can the police come at any time and enter your home at their whim or do they have to notify you first and arrive with a warrant? Can you refuse them entrance onto your land and/or into your home?

Hi 'SouthernBoy'

You may mate. Some try by arriving unannounced, say they are doing safe keeping checks and happen to be in the area, "Can we come in etc,. The Law requires them to contact the owner by phone or in writing and arrange a suitable time for both partys to do the safe keeping check. I have had them come unannounced only to send them away and have them come back when it suited me. Thats the law.

The silly thing about this law as any sane person can see is the fact that the government has made a law which ties up streched police resorses in wasting time checking Law Abiding citizens firearms safe keeping, while criminals run fee!

The law also states that no less than 2 officers carry out the check, although I did once have one, a young female officer, do a safe keeping check. I asked her if the law had changed, knowing full well it hadn't? She replied, we are so busy my partner is attending to another urgent matter. So, heres a very pretty young inexperienced female officer, I would guess her age to be between 22 and 25, aprox 5.6 inches tall, weight around 8 stone, Glock holstered by her right side, in my home at the appointed time, checking my firearms safe keeping arrangements. Imagin the consequences if I was a criminal?
Makes no sense at all. With the increase in crime in our area, you wont believe this, I have had three checks in the past two years? They laugh when they call now. I ask them are the crims having a day off this week? Maybe we can arrange a time on that day. Haz.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hi 'SouthernBoy'

You may mate. Some try by arriving unannounced, say they are doing safe keeping checks and happen to be in the area, "Can we come in etc,. The Law requires them to contact the owner by phone or in writing and arrange a suitable time for both partys to do the safe keeping check. I have had them come unannounced only to send them away and have them come back when it suited me. Thats the law.

The silly thing about this law as any sane person can see is the fact that the government has made a law which ties up streched police resorses in wasting time checking Law Abiding citizens firearms safe keeping, while criminals run fee!

The law also states that no less than 2 officers carry out the check, although I did once have one, a young female officer, do a safe keeping check. I asked her if the law had changed, knowing full well it hadn't? She replied, we are so busy my partner is attending to another urgent matter. So, heres a very pretty young inexperienced female officer, I would guess her age to be between 22 and 25, aprox 5.6 inches tall, weight around 8 stone, Glock holstered by her right side, in my home at the appointed time, checking my firearms safe keeping arrangements. Imagin the consequences if I was a criminal?
Makes no sense at all. With the increase in crime in our area, you wont believe this, I have had three checks in the past two years? They laugh when they call now. I ask them are the crims having a day off this week? Maybe we can arrange a time on that day. Haz.

Thanks for the getback. In 1998 we moved out of Arlington, Virginia for several reasons, one of which was this. We had a new police chief who came out with a suggestion that he would like the authority to have officers be able to inspect homes, and storage facilities within same, where there were class 3 weapons present (sounds strangely like Australia, eh?). That, along with my other reasons, gave me all the reason I needed to escape that county to a more agreeable area. BTW, I don't think his suggestion was adopted.

So the young female officer was a cute one. An offer for a dinner date may have been in the picture.. do you think?

Jack House

Don't think his wife would have appreciated that one. My woman woulda been all for it, however.

Posted using my HTC Evo

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hi 'SouthernBoy'

You may mate. Some try by arriving unannounced, say they are doing safe keeping checks and happen to be in the area, "Can we come in etc,.

Can you say, "As a free citizen, I hereby declare we are indeed safe! Thus, no, your "safe" check is neither required nor allowed by the property owner.

The Law requires them to contact the owner by phone or in writing and arrange a suitable time for both partys to do the safe keeping check.

My question is answered.

I have had them come unannounced only to send them away and have them come back when it suited me. Thats the law.

Cool! Maintain what you can.

The silly thing...

Any time law enforcement is redirected towards "policing" law abiding citizens vs tackling the criminals, ALL their efforts are wasted.

Imagin the consequences if I was a criminal?

You, the burly-brute criminal would have bent out of your way...

Somehow, that doesn't fit my definition of the term "criminal."

Fix them all a salad before they come over. Will they get the hint then?