• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother of VA Tech victim speaks out in support of campus carry

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Five years ago today, on a cold, sad Monday in April, Virginia Tech senior Seung Hui Cho went on a rampage that cost the lives of 32 of the Commonwealth’s best and brightest young people and sent a nation into mourning.

Now, on the fifth anniversary of this terrible tragedy, one courageous parent is speaking out. Holly Adams lost her daughter Leslie Sherman that day and it is in remembrance of her daughter that Holly put out the following statement:

Excerpt ... Read more

Levi

This mother speaks out exactly what I think about school shootings. What if Columbine had teachers who carried that fateful day?

Yesterday I talked to an individual who believed that all guns should be banned based on the idea that if there were no guns there would be no school shootings. Pandora's box has been opened and firearms have been a reality for a millennium. Learn to deal with the reality of life as is rather than believing that bad or disturbed people will follow the rules.

We, the people of this country, need to stop begging our government to make rules to protect us and start making the real choices that we can make for ourselves. Life isn't safe and we can't make it safer by changing things in our environment; we need to change the programming between our ears.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Having the courage of one's convictions is not always an easy road to follow. I salute Holly Adams for her grace and strength.

All that any of us can do is to try and make a difference. Thank you Holly - let us know how we can help.

Jack House

Re: Columbine

I can't answer that question. Nor can I say what would have happened at UT if students hasn't fired back. But I can say with modest certainty what would have happened at Pearl High if the assistant principal had not been armed. The shooter would have gone to the middle school to continue the massacre, likely killing a lot more people with much younger victims. I can say this because he stated that is where he was headed when the AP stopped him in the parking lot attempting to head there.

I always hear people mentioning Columbine and VTech, but no one ever mentions Pearl and when people mention UT, they tend to forget that students were armed and returning fire. That none of the victims were shoot or killed by any of those students and that at least one of the officers responsible for killing the shooter, praised the students that shot back.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When two opposing view points become evident, it has been said there are but two possible responses: communication (rational discourse) or violence.

Communication in the case of threatened or actual physical attack is accomplished by the very law(s) stating that such is illegal, by rules and regulations, and by the very lack of voluntary participation by those opposed to the action. Direct discourse presumes a rational response from the aggressor to cease the unwanted action, to actively desist - no other response is acceptable. It is ultimately the "live and let live" principal and requires that both parties agree through their reaction/response.

Failing that, there is but one effective/realistic option - to physically stop the immediate threat. The means to do that must therefore be at my disposal. When words fail and time, distance and other circumstances do not permit withdrawing, there is but one other recourse.

Those that require me to sign a pledge to be a victim ask too much. My life is not negotiable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Has Mrs. Adams always held this view?

She has not addressed this point. Whether a long term belief or a cognitive conclusion on her part, I am most grateful and supportive of her. Truly believe that her voice will be heard and make a difference.

Would that there would be others that will step forward and join Holly Adams - a fitting and worthwhile endeavor.

William Fisher

Wow - that is an extensive link. Thanks for the reference.

You're welcome Grapeshot. I forget how it was that I came across that. I believe I was looking for school disasters after Columbine when people stated that it was the worst school disaster or something of that nature and I looked for school death tradgidies or something of that nature. It surprised me that the media has never made mention when these horrible things happen.

Jack House

Personally, I am glad they do not. I can just imagine the spin. "Outlawing explosives worked to keep schools from being blown up, look it happened then, but not anymore. This will work for guns!"

William Fisher

Personally, I am glad they do not. I can just imagine the spin. "Outlawing explosives worked to keep schools from being blown up, look it happened then, but not anymore. This will work for guns!"

Maybe schools, but remember Timothy McVeigh?

since9

Campaign Veteran
As a Virginia Tech grad, I second Ms. Adams' comments, and remain appalled by my alma mater's continuing and vehement stance opposing reasonable self-defense.

I'm willing to be there are a number of students who're carrying concealed anyway. Tech is not exactly a liberal stronghold.