• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing AR Pistol?

Kopis

This is more a situational question, i dont think i will ever actually do it but it came up for discussion with a friend of mine. I have an AR pistol i built this summer (Seekins lower, spikes LPK, magpul MIAD, VLTOR upper, noveske barrel, YHM sights and PA micro red dot), anyway, is it legal to OC? Personally, i dont think it is a wise thing to OC just because of the mass shootings that have happened and i dont have to scare anyone or end up shot by an LEO but does the pistol have to be in a holster or could it be just slung?

OC for ME

I am confident that the "evil black rifle" part will get you noticed.....and not in a good way. carry as you see fit, but just as a AK "pistol" is not what OCDO advocates the carry of, unless you have a holster for it, so too is the AR "pistol" not something OCDO would advocate for. I do know what the owners think and I certainly am giving my opinion.

Wasn't there a dude who got hassled for his AK pistol. He was jerked around, unlawfully in my opinion, but, the times they are to be considered. Self infringement is not what I suggest, but common sense for your jurisdiction is to be considered......if anything to protect your bank account.

Kopis

OC for ME,

That's what i put in my original post, i dont think i ever would do it for obvious reasons. It will definitely get noticed and result in a convo with LEOs. My friend and i were just discussing it and i was curious if anyone knew the state laws, if a pistol is required to be in a holster etc. I definitely dont want to explain to an LEO what an AR pistol is because few would know. Actually i remembered when i took a pic of my friends girlfriend shooting it and him/her posing with her holding the AR pistol and him with his AK. She showed her dad who is a collierville police Lt who freaked out and said it's an illegal fully automatic something! those guys are going to get arrested blah blah blah, i showed him the law, how to build and where to buy... he had one on order in 24 hours lol. But it just shows that a 20 year veteran LEO had no idea what it was or that it is legal.

Fallguy

Yes it would be legal. Nothing in TN law requires a pistol to be "holstered". The guy caring the AK pistol in Nashville had it slung across his chest. It was only after being detained for a while and the LEOs contacting the ATF that they were satisfied it was a "pistol" and released him.

slowfiveoh

Yes it would be legal. Nothing in TN law requires a pistol to be "holstered". The guy caring the AK pistol in Nashville had it slung across his chest. It was only after being detained for a while and the LEOs contacting the ATF that they were satisfied it was a "pistol" and released him.

...and then had his HCP suspended in a private meeting in which he could not represent himself under "Material Likelihood of Harm to the public".

OC for ME

Uh, the initial "LEO" contact let the fella go because the "LEO" knew that the AK "pistol" was technically legal. He changed his mind, later, and then the ruckus started. That dude got jacked six-ways from Sunday by LE.

slowfiveoh

Uh, the initial "LEO" contact let the fella go because the "LEO" knew that the AK "pistol" was technically legal. He changed his mind, later, and then the ruckus started. That dude got jacked six-ways from Sunday by LE.

Technically the supervisor changed his mind.

After a peaceful interaction where the individual in question (Leonard Embody) demonstrated he could be stopped and talked to peacefully, he was ambushed by the rangers supervisor at the end of the trail, proned out, and coerced to conform with a shotgun to the face.

Then he was detained, AFTER the first ranger let him go who also admitted in the voice recording, "Well technically its a handgun...", so that OTHER LEO (Local Police) could try for over 2 hours to nail him for "something". They eventually let him go.

He was then stopped, detained, harassed, and released in another city for following the law to the letter.

Oh Shoot

...and then had his HCP suspended in a private meeting in which he could not represent himself under "Material Likelihood of Harm to the public".

His HCP wasn't suspended for the Radnor Lake AK incident, but because of letter written by the Belle Meade PD after his "Army/Navy pistol carried in the hand" incident.

And he didn't show up for his HCP revocation appeal hearing.

- OS

Last edited: