• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry questions

Kupo

I turned 18 last month and just found out about open carrying. I got charged a few months ago for alcohol, which just gave me community service and suspended license until December. I also just recently got charged for concealment of merchandise, which I am going to court for soon. I was wondering if I could open carry even with all this. Also, for the concealment case I am probably looking at 6 month probation if it doesnt get dropped so I dont know if that affects anything.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I turned 18 last month and just found out about open carrying. I got charged a few months ago for alcohol, which just gave me community service and suspended license until December. I also just recently got charged for concealment of merchandise, which I am going to court for soon. I was wondering if I could open carry even with all this. Also, for the concealment case I am probably looking at 6 month probation if it doesnt get dropped so I dont know if that affects anything.

I echo Phoenix David's comments. If you're on probation, you've already been convicted (I'm sorry but I don't know how to sugar coat this). Your rights have been suspended by the courts, awaiting your continued, and unswerving adherence to the same rules and regulations the rest of us face day to day!

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm simply saying you can do what the vast majority of us do. We work hard. We file for and pay our taxes. We don't commit crimes.

I think more than 90% of all of us fall into this category. It may be a long haul from someone of your background, but let me be the first to welcome you into the bunch.

It's long past time for you to get right with respect to the law. Until you learn the law, please lay down your arms, as you're obviously running afoul of the law with your current understanding of it.

If you'd like to get straight, I and others will help you. Please be advised many LEOs monitor this forum for infiltration. To all such LEOs, I have one request: Please give me a couple of days with this guy. If he doesn't come around, he's all yours.

Back to Kupo - where are you at, given the above?

Snakemathis

I echo Phoenix David's comments. If you're on probation, you've already been convicted (I'm sorry but I don't know how to sugar coat this). Your rights have been suspended by the courts, awaiting your continued, and unswerving adherence to the same rules and regulations the rest of us face day to day!

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm simply saying you can do what the vast majority of us do. We work hard. We file for and pay our taxes. We don't commit crimes.

I think more than 90% of all of us fall into this category. It may be a long haul from someone of your background, but let me be the first to welcome you into the bunch.

It's long past time for you to get right with respect to the law. Until you learn the law, please lay down your arms, as you're obviously running afoul of the law with your current understanding of it.

If you'd like to get straight, I and others will help you. Please be advised many LEOs monitor this forum for infiltration. To all such LEOs, I have one request: Please give me a couple of days with this guy. If he doesn't come around, he's all yours.

Back to Kupo - where are you at, given the above?

LOL! That was certainly an odd way to welcome someone to the community.

GWbiker

LOL! That was certainly an odd way to welcome someone to the community.

Perhaps, but for some youngsters the truth can be bitter and hard to swallow.

Daylen

depends on the laws in your state and if anything you were convicted of is a felony or one of the misdemeanors.

the federal law that is applicable to owning a firearm: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

vmaxriders

I'm sorry but I'm not sure that you should be carting a firearm at all. It can change many lives forever. It takes training and maturity to be responsible with that privilage.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 90

eye95

Its a right, not a privilege.

Oh, he may have the right (depending on State law regarding his transgressions). I'm just in agreement with those who wonder if he should carry. However (and I don't necessarily mean the OP), if one exercises poor judgment in other things that make us wonder if he should carry, I expect him not to exercise good judgment in deciding to carry or not.

But, he may well still have the right.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is a pretty good test to see whether or not someone is responsible enough to exercise their right to own and carry a firearm. How do they handle and conduct themselves in other areas in which there is a measure of danger or potential maleficence?

For danger, we have driving a motor vehicle, operating power tools, engaging in dangerous sports with reckless abandon. etc. Doing any of these activities which show a callous disregard for one's safety and that of others is evidence of questionable behavior.

For maleficent behavior, we might include a propensity of heavy drinking followed by violent activity (looking for fights), drug use, volatile temperament, and similar traits.

So if you are riding with a friend who is considering getting a firearm to carry for protection and you note that he speeds, darts in and out of traffic, runs lights and stop signs, shouts profanities at other drivers, and displays behavior that leaves you uncomfortable in his vehicle, do you really want to see him carrying a firearm? If you go out to a restaurant and he wants to stay at the bar and drink then gets angry and makes comments to other patrons who notice his behavior, do you think it's a good idea that he might be carrying a firearm soon?

One's behavior, how they conduct themselves in general public surrounds, says a great deal about their mindset, their maturity, and their responsibility factor. I used to go groundhog hunting many years ago with two guys who one day showed up acting "strange". Come to find out they were both high on killer weed (mixed pop). I never went out with them again. No way I wanted to be around people like that with loaded firearms.

Daylen

There is a pretty good test to see whether or not someone is responsible enough to exercise their right to own and carry a firearm. How do they handle and conduct themselves in other areas in which there is a measure of danger or potential maleficence?

For danger, we have driving a motor vehicle, operating power tools, engaging in dangerous sports with reckless abandon. etc. Doing any of these activities which show a callous disregard for one's safety and that of others is evidence of questionable behavior.

For maleficent behavior, we might include a propensity of heavy drinking followed by violent activity (looking for fights), drug use, volatile temperament, and similar traits.

So if you are riding with a friend who is considering getting a firearm to carry for protection and you note that he speeds, darts in and out of traffic, runs lights and stop signs, shouts profanities at other drivers, and displays behavior that leaves you uncomfortable in his vehicle, do you really want to see him carrying a firearm? If you go out to a restaurant and he wants to stay at the bar and drink then gets angry and makes comments to other patrons who notice his behavior, do you think it's a good idea that he might be carrying a firearm soon?

One's behavior, how they conduct themselves in general public surrounds, says a great deal about their mindset, their maturity, and their responsibility factor. I used to go groundhog hunting many years ago with two guys who one day showed up acting "strange". Come to find out they were both high on killer weed (mixed pop). I never went out with them again. No way I wanted to be around people like that with loaded firearms.

I'd be fine with someone like that OCing. I'd also not be upset if someone like that was carrying, got drunk, belligerent, drew his weapon and got shot.