• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in Shoshone National Forest.

markm

When?

Hey 1000yardshooter,

My wife, brother-in-law, sister-sister-law, and I will be in Wyoming in mid July.

You can CC if you have a CCW with reciprocity for Wyoming. You can OC without a CCW. Check with the closest ranger station to find good plinking areas.

This Link is from an NGO but the links within may prove useful:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wyoming.pdf

Here is the NPS page for Yellowstone's gun policy (Grand Tetons NP has the same info):
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

We are staying in a Cabin at Colter Bay, Lake Jackson, Grand Teton National Park. We will be hiking Yellowstone, GRTE, and Bridger-Teton National Forest.

Bear spray and a .44 magnum (or larger) is advisable as ursus horibilis roams freely:
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_f40ecce6-7b15-11df-aed5-001cc4c03286.html
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_ea2e714c-40a6-50ac-9e97-8a108093e79a.html
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700072219/Wyoming-hunter-kills-grizzly-bear-that-bit-his-arm.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/29/survivor-montana-bear-rampage-played-dead-mauling/
http://www.pinedaleonline.com/news/2010/07/Caspermanchargedandb.htm

Ursus Horibilis is a protected species; if one charges your party, make sure you use the bear spray first and your weapon second. By using the bear spray first, you may give yourself a legal defense for your self defense actions. And, of course, if the bear spray works, you won't wound or kill the bear.

Forest Service land has dual jurisdiction. 16 USC section 480 codifies Wyoming's civil and criminal jurisdiction for all National Forests including Shoshone NF. Shoshone was not regranted by Wyoming and Congress never accepted such a recession; therefore, Wyoming civil and criminal law has jurisdiction.

markm

Last edited:

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
Thaks for the advice ill check into it. not planning on going to yellowstone. Not a big fan of big tourist areas. family memebr just purchased a ranch not far from there going to stay with them a week or so, little r&r time after getting home from this contract. just thinking about taking my BFR 480 ruger while im out hiking just incase some 2 or 4 legged critters want to give me problems.

markm

Thaks for the advice ill check into it. not planning on going to yellowstone. Not a big fan of big tourist areas. family memebr just purchased a ranch not far from there going to stay with them a week or so, little r&r time after getting home from this contract. just thinking about taking my BFR 480 ruger while im out hiking just incase some 2 or 4 legged critters want to give me problems.

Hey 1000,

The NPS Yellowstone site has links to Wyoming gun law. It is useful for investigative purposes.

markm

MamaLiberty

By using the bear spray first, you may give yourself a legal defense for your self defense actions. And, of course, if the bear spray works, you won't wound or kill the bear.

And if the spray DOESN'T work, you may be dead and have no chance to shoot. To hell with the spray... shoot. Those things move fast and they mean BUSINESS.

markm

Sssshhhhhhhh!

And if the spray DOESN'T work, you may be dead and have no chance to shoot. To hell with the spray... shoot. Those things move fast and they mean BUSINESS.

Mamaliberty:

OMG! Gubmint persecutors roam our sites like ursus horribilis roams Wyoming. No, no, no--always use your bear spray first!

However, the sequence of self defense actions taken in the woods should stay in the woods.

Here is a URL that describes how you should speak with gubmint persecutors after an ursus horibilis self defense action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

markm

If you like pain and agony always use the bear spray before you shoot a Grizzly. He can run at a speed of 30 MPH and can cover 109 yards in 6 seconds or less. What is the effective and useful distance of most bear sprays? The momentum of the Grizzly would bring him to your position even after hitting him with the spray.

markm

No kidding!

If you like pain and agony always use the bear spray before you shoot a Grizzly. He can run at a speed of 30 MPH and can cover 109 yards in 6 seconds or less. What is the effective and useful distance of most bear sprays? The momentum of the Grizzly would bring him to your position even after hitting him with the spray.

And now that you have incriminated yourself, go ahead, use your gun first!

My legal defense remains intact. The persecutors will have to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that I used my gun first, and then they must prove that my actions were not self defense. Muddy-up the water.

Will your cell mate be named Bubba if you have a grizz encounter?

I do not stand corrected; always use bear spray first! I will tell the persecutors that it was self defense, the bear spray did not work, and lastly, I will plead the fifth by S-ingT*U.

In the UP of Michigan there is a rule for shooting wolves. It is called the three s's. Shoot, shovel, and ST*U.

markm

Last edited:

Wyocowboy

No kidding-the s's

Funny, we have the same rule in Wyoming pertaining to wolves. I was told this by a State Sen many years ago. He said it was the common acceptance in the legislature in Cheyenne. I was glad to hear it at the time and remain so.
It has been the norm for commoners (free people in the USSA) to use common sense in dealing with stupidity from the Federal Gov't. It shouldn't be a big deal. Why make it so?? Just aim straight and true and try not to jerk the trigger.

Mjolnir

Nothing like advice from somebody living in Roseville, California for a Wyoming issue...

Don't you just love it when somebody from Calif chimes in on a topic they know so much about after doing internet research and watching you tube videos but have zero real 1st hand knowledge.

Mjolnir

1000ydshooter stop in at Dubois and visit the grave of PFC Chance Phelps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Rl6qqPOnc

While i do not see eye to eye with momma on many issues, she is spot on. only bait carries pepper spray for bears, let alone says to spray bears with it instead of shooting a bear charging you.

We have had bears wander into camp when camping in Wyoming and even with a 12ga shotgun loaded with slugs in the tent with us it was a humbling experience. I carried a 45 Colt loaded with http://www.buffalobore.com/ ammo, but http://www.garrettcartridges.com/ is also a great ammo maker. You want hard cast bullets, not the FMJ or JHP crap, they do not penatrate deep enough to do any serious damage.

More often than not they will give you a wide berth, stay away from the wildlife, do not get close wanting pictures or to pet the pretty bear, watch from a distance, be aware of your surroundings, don't be stupid and all will be good.

Huck

Mjolnir, I dont have any first hand experience with 'ol Grizz either but I do know that they're very tough animals and are damn hard to kill, even with rifles. My thoughts are that if a grizz can shrug off getting shot then bear spray aint going to do squat to them either. Therefore, anytime I'm in Grizz country I have my Marlin 1895G in .45-70 loaded up, it'll certainly do better against grizz than my .38 S&W or bear spray.

markm

I accept the Kali criticism.

Nothing like advice from somebody living in Roseville, California for a Wyoming issue...

Don't you just love it when somebody from Calif chimes in on a topic they know so much about after doing internet research and watching you tube videos but have zero real 1st hand knowledge.

Hey Mjolner:

I have had Alaskan Brown bear encounters. The cubs were bigger than ANY lower-48 adult bears!

The ursus horibilis that I encountered in Yellowstone was a puppy dog in comparison.

The Black bears that I have come face-to-face with at 2 am were not fun encounters either.

Just because I am from Kali does not mean that I have not spent time in the woods. Kali has more mountains and taller mountains than Wyoming has. I am a Michigan whitetail hunter. Have you had a bear encounter in Michigan? Kali has the lowest spot and the highest spot in the lower 48: Death Valley and Mt. Whitney.

In Kalifornia, we are accustomed to state and federal persecutors Monday-morning-quarterbacking our actions. If I have a bear encounter in Wyoming, there will be bear spray all over the bear and in its lungs. The feds will have to prove that the bear spray was deployed after-the-fact. Legal self defense is very important.

I understand that Wyoming residents are not accustomed to defending themselves before bureaucrats. Having lived in Kali for most of my life, I am accustomed to defending myself physically, while ensuring a legal defense at the same time.

Self defense and a legal defense are two different things. You can do both.

markm

Mjolnir

Hey Mjolner:

markm

Snip, cut out the non relevant parts of a off topic rant.

You can not and will not have the ability to spray a bear and then shoot it, feel free to save the bear some time and effort, spray yourself and then shoot yourself, the bear will not enjoy his/her meal as much since you took away the joy of it's playing with its food and might leave more of you to be burred.

But if you want to live in your little dream world feel free, just keep your fallacies to yourself so other people do not get hurt/killed listening to really bad advice.

markm

You don't "read between the lines" very well.

Snip, cut out the non relevant parts of a off topic rant.

You can not and will not have the ability to spray a bear and then shoot it, feel free to save the bear some time and effort, spray yourself and then shoot yourself, the bear will not enjoy his/her meal as much since you took away the joy of it's playing with its food and might leave more of you to be burred.

But if you want to live in your little dream world feel free, just keep your fallacies to yourself so other people do not get hurt/killed listening to really bad advice.

Hey Mjolner,

All bear encounters are different. Different situations require different responses. I have never shot a bear because they all left the scene. The Alaskan brownies and the grizzly that I encountered did the same thing (I have had about 30 encounters at close range; only four encounters were with "dangerous" bears).

Reading the "demeanor" of the bear is critical.

I have SCUBA dived with many, many sharks. I have been in schools of sharks. Again, demeanor is critical. YOUR DEMEANOR IS CRITICAL.

Most bears don't think of you as food just as sharks don't think of you as food. Don't act or look like prey, and usually, you will be OK.

On this thread, our discussion is about landsharks and grizzly bureaucrats. Not the wild kind found in a hibernation den waiting for spring, to wake up from their slumber. You have failed to get this point.

For the record, I will you use bear spray first-- I am not so stupid as to incriminate myself on a public forum, before a dangerous encounter occurs. However, I reserve the right to keep what happens in the forest, in the forest. ST*U when speaking with bureaucrats and LEO if you have a bear encounter that goes bad. Let LEO prove the bear did not charge you in a dangerous way, let LEO prove that you did not follow "accepted" protocol. I will make it easy for LEO to prove that I DID follow "accepted protocol."

What you do in the woods is your problem. What I do in the woods is my problem. It is up to LEO to PROVE you were not justified in killing an endangered species. Legal defense is different from actual defense.

Do you understand the theme of this thread now?

God, I hope so!

markm

Contrarian

Wyo. bears

Seems to me that if the official comes upon a gunshot bear smelling of pepper spray, any 'reasonable' person must conclude that the law was followed...right?

markm

I agree, maybe...

Seems to me that if the official comes upon a gunshot bear smelling of pepper spray, any 'reasonable' person must conclude that the law was followed...right?

Hey Contrarian,

If the pepper-spray-covered bear was shot in the ass at 50 yards, then no, a reasonable person would conclude that the bear spray worked and that the dangerous situation had been averted before lethal force was used.

If the pepper-spray-covered bear was shot in the face or side and at very close range, then I agree with you.

markm

Mjolnir

Hey Mjolner,

Do you understand the theme of this thread now?

Without a doubt I understand you think extremly highly of yourself & without question you and Timothy Treadwell have a few things in common.

Just hope you do not end up like him & even more important, hope others do not actually listen to your ignorant & dangerous advice and end up bear bait.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Og1pF8KwC8