• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Permit in Portland

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Any recommendation? Should I just wait it out?

your not going to make it go any faster if you complain about it. If anything you'll just make them resent you, and have it take longer. Instead of working against, we need to work with. We need to do our job on the legislative side of things so the police can have less to do, thus allowing them to get the job done with the man power that they have. They're doing what they can, but it takes time for the checks to come back, then it takes man power to verify those checks. If you really want to do some good, call your legislator and tell them how they need to relax the laws surrounding the permitting process so that it's less burden on police. The people who are going to go through the process aren't criminals...

MainelyGlock

The only check that takes time is the one from Riverview. Background checks can be completed in minutes nowadays, and from what I was told the Dorothea Dix Institution has a handful of staff members who's sole job is to help with the CC permits process. I'm not sure if the new police chief in Portland is going to look through every single applicant before signing off, but I do know that waiting a month for a signature is ridiculous. I don't see how calling a legislator would speed up that process, but at the same time, I'm open to anything.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
The only check that takes time is the one from Riverview. Background checks can be completed in minutes nowadays, and from what I was told the Dorothea Dix Institution has a handful of staff members who's sole job is to help with the CC permits process. I'm not sure if the new police chief in Portland is going to look through every single applicant before signing off, but I do know that waiting a month for a signature is ridiculous. I don't see how calling a legislator would speed up that process, but at the same time, I'm open to anything.

not sure what your talking about with Dorothea Dix: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/...5-employees-in-effort-to-close-7m-budget-gap/ read that. Also, yes the background check is instant, similar to the check you go through to purchase a firearm, but the others are not instant. There is a lot to this, it's not a simple fix. Calling your legislator would make them more aware of the situation, and if you do it well they will hopefully constructively go at the problem to lessen restrictions, ie only forcing the instant background check instead of all of the checks. As for your last point, if you ran a business and your as* was on the line, would you want to look over the paperwork before it went out? I'm sure the chief is in the same situation, he doesn't want something to go through his station such as a permit to carry a concealed firearm without at least looking it over.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

carry issue

Let me say I've read Shanes reply and totaly agree with him. Have patience in this matter. I'm curious though why you don't just open carry every where you go. If anyone asks you why you're doing this you have the perfect reply for them and any officers that questions you.

MainelyGlock

not sure what your talking about with Dorothea Dix: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/...5-employees-in-effort-to-close-7m-budget-gap/ read that. Also, yes the background check is instant, similar to the check you go through to purchase a firearm, but the others are not instant. There is a lot to this, it's not a simple fix. Calling your legislator would make them more aware of the situation, and if you do it well they will hopefully constructively go at the problem to lessen restrictions, ie only forcing the instant background check instead of all of the checks. As for your last point, if you ran a business and your as* was on the line, would you want to look over the paperwork before it went out? I'm sure the chief is in the same situation, he doesn't want something to go through his station such as a permit to carry a concealed firearm without at least looking it over.

I was told the info about Dorothea Dix by the lady (Donna?) who handles all of the CCW paperwork for the PPD. That was prior to when this article was published, though. What other checks are you referring to, besides the background check and the request from the two institutions? I do think that checking with those two institutions simply because they are the largest in Maine is pointless.

I'm not saying that I blame the police chief for wanting to look over each applicant. He has only been at his new job for a little over a month (I think), so I'm sure there are a lot of things that take priority. I understand that, but at the same time, 6 weeks is long enough.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I was told the info about Dorothea Dix by the lady (Donna?) who handles all of the CCW paperwork for the PPD. That was prior to when this article was published, though. What other checks are you referring to, besides the background check and the request from the two institutions? I do think that checking with those two institutions simply because they are the largest in Maine is pointless.

I'm not saying that I blame the police chief for wanting to look over each applicant. He has only been at his new job for a little over a month (I think), so I'm sure there are a lot of things that take priority. I understand that, but at the same time, 6 weeks is long enough.

Well, think about it this way though: In your mind, 6 weeks is long enough because your waiting, but who knows how many applications they have to wade through? When I talked to the State Police the other day, granted he was busy and we didn't get into very many details he was explaining to me that Dorothea Dix wasn't the only holdup that was occurring. Like I said, he didn't have time to thoroughly explain things, but he seemed genuine. It's not like there is a conspiracy going on, Maine is very good in most places at giving our concealed weapons permits to applicants that meet the criteria. They have been for years now. So what I'm trying to say is that the is most likely a very good reason for this, granted we will probably never hear about it. Also consider that with the current budget... the police definitely aren't being given any extra cash for more payroll.

MainelyGlock

Let me say I've read Shanes reply and totaly agree with him. Have patience in this matter. I'm curious though why you don't just open carry every where you go. If anyone asks you why you're doing this you have the perfect reply for them and any officers that questions you.

I do open carry a few times a week, mostly when I am walking home at night though. I don't open carry 24/7 because the building I am in does not allow firearms, and the majority of my time is spent at work and school, both of which prohibit me from possessing firearms. I would like to keep my Taurus in my car, and my boss has said I would be allowed to keep a firearm in my bag as long as it's done legally.

MainelyGlock

Well, think about it this way though: In your mind, 6 weeks is long enough because your waiting, but who knows how many applications they have to wade through? When I talked to the State Police the other day, granted he was busy and we didn't get into very many details he was explaining to me that Dorothea Dix wasn't the only holdup that was occurring. Like I said, he didn't have time to thoroughly explain things, but he seemed genuine. It's not like there is a conspiracy going on, Maine is very good in most places at giving our concealed weapons permits to applicants that meet the criteria. They have been for years now. So what I'm trying to say is that the is most likely a very good reason for this, granted we will probably never hear about it. Also consider that with the current budget... the police definitely aren't being given any extra cash for more payroll.

In my "batch" as the lady called it, there were 16 other applicants. I see what you're saying, though. As long as I get it eventually, I'll be satisfied.

jonjon_jon

I do open carry a few times a week, mostly when I am walking home at night though. I don't open carry 24/7 because the building I am in does not allow firearms, and the majority of my time is spent at work and school, both of which prohibit me from possessing firearms. I would like to keep my Taurus in my car, and my boss has said I would be allowed to keep a firearm in my bag as long as it's done legally.

I also have carry permit but can't carry most of the time because of work and such. It's just a fact of life in the world which we live. A carry permit won't change anything for you though there are few places you can go legally with it, that you can't by open carrying. It's just me, I'd have to take avantage of the fact that I haven't got recieved it to let the Police Chief know I was going to carry openly till I did and not to bother to respond to any complants about someone open carrying in my community it's probably just me. (Can't help it, it's just the way I'm built). Enough said, I'll leave it alone. Good luck with the permit.

boyscout399

My thoughts are that if the institution can't get the information back to the police within the timeframe specified by the statute, then the department is obligated to issue the permit without that information. They are given 30 days to perform their investigation. They can't find anything in 30 days to prohibit you, then they MUST issue it. It's really quite a simple matter. If they don't like it, too bad. They should have worked faster. If they issue a permit and then get information that the person was disqualified from getting it a week after they issue the permit, then they can yank the permit.

They MUST issue the permit in a timely manner as the law requires them to do. It is not up for discussion. Police violating the law really grinds my gears.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My thoughts are that if the institution can't get the information back to the police within the timeframe specified by the statute, then the department is obligated to issue the permit without that information. They are given 30 days to perform their investigation. They can't find anything in 30 days to prohibit you, then they MUST issue it. It's really quite a simple matter. If they don't like it, too bad. They should have worked faster. If they issue a permit and then get information that the person was disqualified from getting it a week after they issue the permit, then they can yank the permit.

They MUST issue the permit in a timely manner as the law requires them to do. It is not up for discussion. Police violating the law really grinds my gears.

You ned a "de facto permit" circumstance as can be found in Va statute 18.2-308

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

Should the clerk not accomplish this, a phone call to the Va. State Supreme Court, who oversees all clerk of courts, solves the problem.

MainelyGlock

Finally got my CCP today. The process only took about five minutes, and the man who did it was nice enough to print me off three copies without charging me extra. (One for my car, one for the safe at my house, and one for my wallet).

Total wait time: 55 days. Better than the 90 listed on the State of Maine website, but still not the 30 that the law says. I'm just glad I have it at this point!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.644873,-70.227354
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Finally got my CCP today. The process only took about five minutes, and the man who did it was nice enough to print me off three copies without charging me extra. (One for my car, one for the safe at my house, and one for my wallet).

Total wait time: 55 days. Better than the 90 listed on the State of Maine website, but still not the 30 that the law says. I'm just glad I have it at this point!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.644873,-70.227354
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that you are properly papered, question is will you still promote, educate and defend the right to OC? :D

Also re your sig line/location - no need, we've been satellite tracking you since day 1. :uhoh:..:p

MainelyGlock

Now that you are properly papered, question is will you still promote, educate and defend the right to OC? :D

Also re your sig line/location - no need, we've been satellite tracking you since day 1. :uhoh:..:p

Yessir, I will!

And I have no idea why my GPS location was included in my Sig... very creepy..

jonjon_jon

Mr. Grapeshot, question?

As a citizen of Virginia which I'm not how many open carriers would I see in a day or a week? Just how common is open carry there?