• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on Mishaga v. Monken???

devildoc5

In case anyone was not aware there is currently a case in Illinois that could SEVERLY affect each and everyone of us that exercises our 2A rights.

Basic rundown is Ms. Mishaga is an Ohio resident who regularly visits friends in Illinois and stays overnight. Per IL FOID act she cannot have a functional firearm without a valid Firearms Owners IDentification card. In order to obtain a FOID one must have an IL DL number, being a resident of Ohio Ms. Mishaga cannot obtain an IL DL. This is a violation of her 2a as well as 14A (right to travel). Ms. Mishaga has been denied a FOID twice because "no IL DL number provided". This case is currently in the US District court of central Illinois.

Now I know this is far of but there is a SMALL possibility the courts could rule that non-residents may use another state's carry permit and that all states must recognize that, at bare minimum they SHOULD require all states to issue permits to non residents...

It will be interesting to see how this case plays out...

Links:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35931100/Mishaga-v-Monken-Complaint

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/legal_cases.cfm?legalcaseid=225

devildoc5

but some of us (not to mention any names here) have FAMILIES that live in that forsaken state of communism known as Illinois.

The good news is that this case could POSSIBLY go even further than McDonald did as far as gun rights of non-residents in other states. Or am I wrong here?

Ruby

Illinois is a good place to be from-about as far away from as possible! I am originally from Illinois, but haven't lived there in years and have no intentions of living there again. I still have family there, but we're not close.

New Daddy

Illinois is a good place to be from-about as far away from as possible! I am originally from Illinois, but haven't lived there in years and have no intentions of living there again. I still have family there, but we're not close.

I'm another refugee from Illinois. They limit guns because the former governors can't carry them.

amzbrady

I also am from Illinois. I never thought of it as a great place to be from. You get to drink for something to do, after you go to church and in between bowling a game. I know it was really different way back when, cause my mom still lives there, and constantly talks about how it used to be. I dont go back cause she needs to move away from there. When I drove across the missesloppy to work, I kept wanting to move over to St. Louey, but thankfully my wife being from WA, asked me to get her out of that children of the corn state, and get her back to normallicy within her beautiful home state. So we came back here. I have never regretted it.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
It's an excellent case and it's well lawyered. Jim Manley (the MSLF attorney) is competent, and yes we are watching each other's cases closely to see if we can help each other.

New Daddy

Not even the fact we have a liberal "colony" here that runs our largest city/county?

I get this all the time from the "natives." They wax about how much this state has changed over the last <insert years here>. Is Seattle et al bad? That's all relative. I've seen it change just in the 15 years that I've been here, but after living in Illinois, it's a daily breath of fresh air.

On it's worst day (so far) Washington is eons ahead of Illinois.

oneeyeross

I get this all the time from the "natives." They wax about how much this state has changed over the last <insert years here>. Is Seattle et al bad? That's all relative. I've seen it change just in the 15 years that I've been here, but after living in Illinois, it's a daily breath of fresh air.

On it's worst day (so far) Washington is eons ahead of Illinois.

Well, having had the chance to live in places like northern Virginia (Metro DC) and San Antonio Texas as well as the Federal Republic of Germany, yes, I will agree that Washington is by far better than other places I have lived....

However, I will say that yes, Seattle IS that bad...that whole King County thing is terrible. But, that's just me...and the rest of my family...