• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reading the constitution and having to reference it

Uber_Olafsun

Just saw this on the Washington post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122901402.html?hpid=topnews

At the start of the next congress the are going to read the entire thing and any new bills will have to have a reference to specific section that allows them the authority to bring it up. Boy that commerce clause is going to become a super catch all now. Would be nice if they started to look at the old bills and see where they have the authority(cough health care).

zack991

It would be a great thing if this ever happens but i fear there will be a lot of fingers being crossed behind their backs when "they" promise it.

Uber_Olafsun

I can see it now. First bill comes up.
Speaker Where is the reference?
Presenter What you were serious?
Speaker Yes.
Presenter Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm commerce clause?!?!
Speaker This is a bill about what toilet paper we are going to use.
Presenter Oh then it is definitely that because it will deal with s!?,.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I can see it now. First bill comes up.
Speaker Where is the reference?
Presenter What you were serious?
Speaker Yes.
Presenter Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm commerce clause?!?!
Speaker This is a bill about what toilet paper we are going to use.
Presenter Oh then it is definitely that because it will deal with s!?,.

Let me fix this for you, Please!

Speaker: "Where is the reference, Nancy?"
Presentor: "What? You were serious?"
Speaker: "Yes, Nancy, we were serious!"
Presentor: "This bill is justified by the 'Good and Plenty clause'."
Speaker: "Nancy, just where is this found?"
Presentor: "It is in there-- You just have to pass the bill to know where it is!"
Speaker: "Nancy Pelosi, you will be brought up on charges and most likely EXPELLED from this body!"

I can dream can't I?

zack991

Let me fix this for you, Please!

Speaker: "Where is the reference, Nancy?"
Presentor: "What? You were serious?"
Speaker: "Yes, Nancy, we were serious!"
Presentor: "This bill is justified by the 'Good and Plenty clause'."
Speaker: "Nancy, just where is this found?"
Presentor: "It is in there-- You just have to pass the bill to know where it is!"
Speaker: "Nancy Pelosi, you will be brought up on charges and most likely EXPELLED from this body!"

I can dream can't I?

I think we all wish these members would be expelled.
Her face would even make Freddy run for his life.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Don't hold your breath. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights have been so abridged, so ignored, and so violated over the years that I won't believe congress is going to abide by the dictates of these founding documents until I see it. And I very seriously doubt I shall see this in my lifetime.

Freedom First

Ignorance is the enemy

Most of the people I meet and interact with are completely ignorant of the contents of the Constitution. Remember, Ignorance is the lack of specific information and can be fixed, but stupid is forever.

The schools have been turning out good taxpayers and not good Americans for generations. For the last several years I have been making it a point in my daily life to gently "interrogate" those I meet up with and leave them questioning their reality and proud owners of a copy of their Constitution. ($.30 a piece at www.nccs.net)

I do this at work, church, the store, Costco (yep, even there!) and even at a Tea Party rally I visited. People want to know about it but they think it's some sort of doctoral thesis, not a basic contract between Soverign States written for normal people to understand.

Many people in the 2A movement are completely blind to the other aspects of the violations of the Constitution. I've even found that most haven't even studied the 2nd Amendment in context.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Is the militia referred to here some nuts in camo pjs running around in Michigan's woods? Nope. Ever study the origin of the term militia? Here's a hint: If you are aged 18 to 45, you're in it already. It's Title 10 of the US Code. Also check your State Constitution as well.

Below is a quick history of the origins of the militia as the Founders knew it. Take an hour and educate yourself.

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/FieldsAndHardy.html

I think you will find that the assumption was that EVERY MAN HAD A GUN AND KNEW HOW TO USE IT. He was required to for the militia system to work. And it worked. We have surrendered so much ground over the generations to those who would rule a free nation... Things would be different if the people policed themselves.

"It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men of all ages who mean govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

rickc1962

Most of the people I meet and interact with are completely ignorant of the contents of the Constitution. Remember, Ignorance is the lack of specific information and can be fixed, but stupid is forever.

The schools have been turning out good taxpayers and not good Americans for generations. For the last several years I have been making it a point in my daily life to gently "interrogate" those I meet up with and leave them questioning their reality and proud owners of a copy of their Constitution. ($.30 a piece at www.nccs.net)

I do this at work, church, the store, Costco (yep, even there!) and even at a Tea Party rally I visited. People want to know about it but they think it's some sort of doctoral thesis, not a basic contract between Soverign States written for normal people to understand.

Many people in the 2A movement are completely blind to the other aspects of the violations of the Constitution. I've even found that most haven't even studied the 2nd Amendment in context.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Is the militia referred to here some nuts in camo pjs running around in Michigan's woods? Nope. Ever study the origin of the term militia? Here's a hint: If you are aged 18 to 45, you're in it already. It's Title 10 of the US Code. Also check your State Constitution as well.

Below is a quick history of the origins of the militia as the Founders knew it. Take an hour and educate yourself.

http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/FieldsAndHardy.html

I think you will find that the assumption was that EVERY MAN HAD A GUN AND KNEW HOW TO USE IT. He was required to for the militia system to work. And it worked. We have surrendered so much ground over the generations to those who would rule a free nation... Things would be different if the people policed themselves.

"It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men of all ages who mean govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

Very well put!! I`ve been saying this same stuff for years, but you are right, for the most part people are ignorant, thay don`t need to be , I think thay choose to be, life is just easier that way! When we as a nation say the government can do anything it wants, then we have allready lost, THAY CAN`T!!! As I have posted before, if we had regular meetings with our elected politicians on the local and state level, by phone, fax, e-mail, sitdown, or anyother way we could, if we knew our nabors, if we tride to befriand our local LEOs insted of alienating them, if we started working hand in hand with our county sheriffs, ( remember the county sheriff is the most powerfull LEO in the land.) And if we as Sovereign States would invake the 10th Amendment, and put the Federal Govenrment on notice that if thay come in to our States to inforce any unconstitutional law, thay will be arrested by the local Sheriff, and if he don`t have the manpower then he could deputize as many law abiding gun owners as needed, if still not enough then we call on the Governer of our State to invoke the first part of the 2nd Amendment, and gather every abled bodied law abiding man or women with a firearm. If he or she will not protect the people of his or her State, then throw him or her out and elect someone who will. If all 50 States would do this, or even most, then we and the Constitution would WIN!!

Last edited: